POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Chaos & Creation in the Backyard" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Essential for what it is. There's a melancholia through it that you can't find anywhere else in his album discography.

Beatles Floyd, Joti Cover and theMess like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The quintessential "Grower" album. :love: Introspective Macca for the win!

theMess likes this.
  3. Jerrvonkramer

Jerrvonkramer Well-Known Member

"Grower"? Knocked me out from first listen!

Joti Cover, theMess and DLant like this.
  4. Jerrvonkramer

Jerrvonkramer Well-Known Member

Hopelessly addicted to this. Fourth time through today already. I did listen to Memory Almost Full and New, but this is the CLEAR best of the trilogy.

I'm marking undergraduate essays, and Paul is the only thing stopping me from pulling my hair out!

Fivebyfive and Joti Cover like this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've heard of him, but have never checked out his reviews.

Frank and theMess like this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Fivebyfive, Frank and theMess like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Lots of quirky, dinky little songs.

Like 'When I'm Sixty Four'.:D

JohnnyQuest and theMess like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would keep it that way. :D

51IS, SteveM, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Then he really must be a tough S.O.B. :D:laugh:

paulmccartneyistheman and Frank like this.
  12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

To call Robert Chrispgau a clueless imbecile would be a major insult to clueless imbeciles everywhere.

Chaos and Creation: I rate it on the same level as Abbey Road :D

13. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

One of the best albums in the last 25 years IMO and one of my favorites of his. It took one into the current mind of the artist that year. Can't think of many works that do that kind of thing then or now . And McCartney's heart and mind are quite worth the trip in as well. I love the recording too.. it doesn't seem phoned in or standardized. I used to listen to it on the way to work everyday in the metro on my headphones and it just me feel like I was anywhere but there... Very intimate that way. I was looking forward to the one after it but that was quite the opposite - too poppy and superficial for me....and badly recorded as well. Starbucks had it on sale and never stopped playing it in the shops... I thought the employees looked as though they might lose their minds....But back to Chaos and Creation - I want another one like this from Paul.

streetlegal and NiceMrMustard like this.
  14. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

Decades before the Black Dyke Mills Band recorded Thingumybob, they recorded Jenny Wren! (Of course that was a "concert polka" composed by Roland Davis, but it's still a delightful coincidence.)

theMess likes this.
  15. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Stumbled upon Beck's "Sunday sun" this morning and it instantly reminded my of Macca's "Chaos and creation..." sound. It must have been Nigel Godrich working his tricks...

For your own listening pleasure, play How kind of you and Riding to vanity fair, and then Sunday sun - you'll see what I mean! ;)

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

With a vinyl reissue just around the corner, I’d hate to see this thread locked. So ... (bump).

17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I voted solid effort.

English Tea is one of my favorite Paul songs.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  18. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

One of his best solo albums.

19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Chaos is proof that when Paul is pushed - even to the point of downright disagreement - the results can be amazing.

theMess likes this.
  20. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Very much agree with this statement! He exposes himself a bit on this album. I don't think he has done that since.

21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

How did I never see this thread before? Clearly (to me) one of his best. Several songs on C&C are Beatle-level great, imo. I've gone on (and on) about this album in many other threads...

theMess likes this.
  22. jconsolmagno

It's about Heather. Has to be. That divorce was terrible, feel bad for Paul on that one. Linda was the one, he jumped to the next too quick.

51IS likes this.
  23. jconsolmagno

I think all of Paul's 80s album is great and I think PTP is #2 and Flowers is #1. But commerical performance of PTP sucked. I was born in 87, so I have no idea what was happening then, but can understand why PTP flopped from sitting back and buying the album for the first time in 2007 and spinning it until the grooves ran out for 3 months.

24. jconsolmagno

That is quite a stretch, there's nothing on C&C that would touch Come Together, Something, Here Comes the Sun or I Want You.

Mumbojunk likes this.
  25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

It may well be Heather, it certainly fits, but I've always wondered if it could have been about Geoff Baker instead, the manner of the fall out they had around that time fits the lyrics. I think the song could have the form of a conversation between both of them.

Rob Hughes and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.