Rogue Cronus Magnum II vs McIntosh

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I visited a high end audio dealer yesterday...something I should never, ever do...and he was telling me all about th Rogue Cronus Magnum II, which he had for sale for $2500. He just went on and on about it, and said that McIntosh gear (specifically my MC 275) is like Bose gear compared to the Rogue.

Two things I didn't like about the Rogue are: 1) No mono switch 2) No tone controls.

Has anyone ever owned both or compared them? Thoughts?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I wouldn't believe anything from a salesman that states McIntosh is similiar to Bose.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have owned a CM1 but no Macintosh gear, though I've listened to it a fair bit. That sounds like something my local dealer would say as he is a Rogue dealer, but dislikes Mc gear to the point where he has been offered the line many times and turns it down.

I don't think the characterization is fair, but I will say that at current market prices, I would take the CMII over a 275 and a Mac preamp. $2500 vs well over $5000. But then I have zero interest in either a mono switch or tone controls. Honestly, that's not a dis on McIntosh, just that Rogue gear is very good and a probably the best value in the hobby.

4. Guy Gadbois

Well said!

Simon A and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Guy Gadbois

I'm just really hung up on both things. I have loads of mono albums, so a mono switch is important. And I always feel the need to tweek the tone a bit here and there.

Simon A likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

Doesn't the mono source deliver mono to the outputs? Not trying to be a coy, I've just never given it much thought. All of my preamps do have have mono switches including the Rogue RP5 I am listening to right now, so I am sure there is something to it! :)

7. Guy Gadbois

Far as I know the mono switch/button is essential for true mono

Trbnado, Manimal and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think they both make fine equipment but the MC gear is much better. I auditioned an Rouge Preamp back in January and I can tell you was no McIntosh.

This is why I dislike going to audio stores, ask them about something they don't carry and they are extremely insulting about it. I went to shop to see if the had a phono stage and they guy went on and on about how only idiots listen to analog.

9. BayouTiger

That's why we have many brands! I haven't heard a Mac that I would trade my Rogue or ARC preamps for. As to the analog statement, he may be right, but as a dealer, he's certainly the idiot! I know I've been listening to a lot of digital lately and keep looking at the wall full of analog and thinking I must be an idiot for keeping it around for the last 40+ years.

OTOH, I just dropped a Ramsey Lewis lp on a minute ago and remembered! :)

timind likes this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have the Rogue CM II and with some judicious tube rolling it sounds incredible. I heard the MC 275 quite extensively and thought it sounded good but no wow factor and not worth the $ IMHO.
    The higher level Rogue separates - especially the RP-5 preamp paired with the Stereo 100 amplifier are a significant step up as they should be and make for a very serious high end sound.
    However, I am very happy with the CM II.
    If you want a really fine high end sound for the $ try the Raven Audio Nighthawk or Osprey. You should not need tone controls for any of these choices. You get a supreme, refined sound with no issues.

11. BayouTiger

I can tell you that the RP5 pairs really, really well with a nice SS amp. I run it with my D240mkII and the result is stunning!

12. Guy Gadbois

@avanti1960 What tubes did you get for the change? Also, how is the phono stage?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  13. BayouTiger

Even the owner of Rogue will tell you that their gear can sound much better with some tube rolling, but they must sell them with new tubes and as such are limited by that. I am always surprised that dealers don't demo them with NOS tubes and offer the upgrade as a value added service. The RCA clear top 12AU7's (below) really brought my RP5 to life.

Rogue Sphinx owners »

14. Guy Gadbois

FYI for those playing at home...

Rogue specs:

General Features and Specifications:

- 100 WPC
    - 20Hz-30KHz bandwidth
    - 4 and 8 ohm transformer taps
    - Slow start turn on sequencing

- Massive high storage linear (!) power supply
    - (2) 12AX7, (3) 12AU7, (4) KT120 output tubes
    - Gold plated RCA inputs
    - Gold plated binding posts
    - Machined aluminum faceplate
    - 4 inputs (phono, line 1,2,3)
    - 44 dB gain phono input +/- 0.1 dB 20Hz - 20KHz
    - 1W Headphone amplifier
    - Remote with volume and mute
    - Buffered variable outputs (great for subwoofers)! - Active outputs for subwoofer or biamping
    - 4 RCA inputs (phono, line1, line 2, line3)- All precision components
    - Heavy (2 ounce) copper circuit board
    - Full tube cage/cover (optional)
    - Fully tested, burned-in, and auditioned
    - Detachable IEC power cord
    - 18" W x 17"D X 5.5" H (actual)
    - 25" W x22"D X 11" H x 55 LBs (shipping dimensions)
    - power requirements: 120V/240V - 50/60Hz
    - Entirely designed and hand built in the USA

McIntosh C 2200 Specs (my preamp)

Frequency Response +0, -0.5dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Total Harmonic Distortion 0.08% from 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio Phono, 80dB High Level, 93dB

Maximum Voltage Output 8Vrms

Unbalanced, 16Vrms

Balanced Output

Impedance 250 ohms

Unbalanced, 500 ohms

Balanced Sensitivity

Phono MM, 4.4mV for 2.5V rated output

High Level, 450mV for 2.5V rated output

Input Impedance Phono MM, 47K ohms, 65pF

High Level, 22K Unbalanced, 44K

Balanced Maximum Input Signal Phono MM, 50mV @ 1,000Hz

High Level, 5V Unbalanced, 10V

Balanced Power Requirements 100 Volts, 50/60Hz at 75 watts 110 Volts, 50/60Hz at 75 watts 120 Volts, 50/60Hz at 75 watts 220 Volts, 50/60Hz at 75 watts 230 Volts, 50/60Hz at 75 watts 240 Volts, 50/60Hz at 75 watts

Note: Refer to the rear panel of the C2200 for the correct voltage.

McIntosh MC 275 specs

Description: Two-channel, tubed power amplifier with unbalanced and balanced input jacks.

Tube Compliment: (3) 12AX7, (4)12AT7, (4) KT-88/6550.

Rated output power: 75Wpc into 4/8/16 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz.

S/N ratio: 100dB A-weighted.

Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz, +0/–0.5dB, 10Hz–70kHz, +0/–3dB.

Sensitivity: 1.2V unbalanced, 2.5V balanced.

Maximum THD from 250mW to rated power: 0.5%.

Maximum Intermodulation Distortion if instantaneous peak output per channel does not exceed twice the rated output, for any combination of frequencies, 20Hz–20kHz, with both channels operating: 0.5%.

Wide-band damping factor: >14.

Power requirements: 120V, 50/60Hz, 3.6A.
    Dimensions: 8.25" (210mm) H x 16.5" (420mm) W x 12" (305mm) D. Weight: 67 lbs (30.5kg) net, 75 lbs (34.1kg) boxed.
    Read more at McIntosh MC 275 Commemorative power amplifier Specifications »

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

here you go Guy-

12AX7 Phase Drivers- Sylvania JHS 5751 triple mica, black plates (front row)

12AU7 Preamp tube- Amperex Bugle Boy, Holland, treble clef logo (middle tube)

12AU7 Amp drivers- RCA 5963 blackplates, prem ind grd, two mica (rear row)

I don't use the phono stage because I have a Lehmann Black Cube SE ii. From what I have heard the CM II has a decent stage.

16. BayouTiger

Not sure what the specs have to do with anything when comparing a $2500 integrated with $9000ish separates??? It's tube gear anyway. If I want to win a spec war I would be all Asian sourced solid state. Lol

I think it kind of makes the point that even if you love the Mac, what Rogue offers for $2500 is pretty amazing. It's just over half of what a MA5200 costs.

Edit: guessing you were pointing out the tubes for rolling.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

I auditioned a CM2 earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Very crisp, clear sound.

I didn't go that route for 3 reasons, lack of mono switch and if you use the headphone jack, it still outputs sound to attached speakers. This was a strange thing in my mind. There's no way to get around this. Also, I needed something a bit more spouse-friendly. the CM2 is built like a tank and looks like it as well. I dig the look but found a different amp that checked all the boxes.

The dealer did tell me that he could order a custom unit with a mono switch added in the back but I had already made my decision by then.

Great amp though.

18. BayouTiger

Hmm. Pretty sure my CM1 muted the speakers when the headphones were plugged in. Didn't matter as the headphone amp and Phono section in the gen1 were not great. Both are supposed to be better in gen2. My RP5 does not mute the speakers. I have to turn off the power amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:agree:

20. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

The salesman is crap. Head firmly where the sun doesn't shine. I have heard a Chronus Magnum II into a pair of Dynaudio standmounts using Nordost Cable. Sounded great, really excellent. I have listened extensively to the MC 275 VI into Wilson speakers (Sasha, Alexis, Duettas) using Transparent Cable. You know what, it sounded great as well. Two excellent amps from two excellent manufacturers. The Chronus is a great deal. The 275 is a updated classic beautifully made and to compare it to Bose is complete nonsense. The prospective buyer should listen to both and decide which you prefer or which you can afford but neither will disappoint.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:agree: Bose is basically mid-fi in my book at best. It sells mass market speakers and now headphones and it has always had great marketing ...

22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I tried the Rogue for a few days but it was outshined by my Conrad Johnson SA 250 Parasound rig. It was nice but I found out real quick I would have to go farther up the chain. Kinda just wanted to see how my old system stacked up to the modern integrated. Nowhere near as musical.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sales guy is full of crap.

24. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

what was that?

25. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Having owned an original Cronus Magnum, I can see where this is an exceptional tube arrangement. The Cronus responds very well to tube rolling, with only 1 preamp tube it can also be "affordable".

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.