Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Wow, I can almost say the exact same thing. I was also 4 in 1969, never heard the song complete until the flood of Lennon songs on December 9, and was upset about the edited version on Shaved Fish (although the cover art didn't bother me). I also picked up an original US single with picture sleeve within the last few years from here:

Apple - Remember Love/ Give Peace A Chance (ORIGINAL) »

mrjinks likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And John also told Seaman that "Power To The People" was written in support of electrical power grid technologies, and how he was hoping that electrical power could be improved for all residents of the world... ;)

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

And 'Give Peace A Chance' started out as a support of vegetarianism, originally called 'Give Peas A Chance' ;)

4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

"How Do You Sleep" was written because Lennon went through terrible insomnia and he was asking Paul how to sleep.

JonnyKidd, supermd, Yorick and 6 others like this.
  5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The cover

[​IMG]

JonnyKidd, Zeki, JamieC and 1 other person like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

I will refrain from making any jokes about why John wrote "It's So Hard" .... ;)

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Cold Turkey - a great track, but kinda hard to believe it was an A-side, pretty intense for AM radio I think.

We've discussed this before, but the released version is a remake. I'd love to hear the original, I've always guessed it would be more along the lines of the live Toronto version.

The B-side really rocks, but Yoko doesn't seem to be vocalizing with the band, so much as over top of the band. (Kinda like Mick Taylor's guitar playing on the Stones' '73 tour!) :)

8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

In my alternate universe, "Cold Turkey" is a Beatles track, and "Ballad of John and Yoko" is a Plastic Ono Band track.

Lightworker likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

I never would have thought that Yoko and Mick Taylor could intersect, but lo and behold here we are. That's why I love this Forum!!

10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Cold Turkey is a real favorite. Johns vocals are great. Clapton is on fire...

Grant and Joao Carlos like this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Exactly my thoughts. A real precursor to the style of the on-tape-exorcisms that would show up on Plastic Ono Band. Definitely the hardest-edged single that any of the four ever issued (right?). I remember seeing the crazy prices this (US) picture sleeve commanded in the early 80s and thinking I'd never afford one. Then to my delight, I got one for $15 or so about 18 months ago. Collectors: never give up!!
    [​IMG]

12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Actually, that 1968 Christmas turkey was part of the Apple feast that was absolutely demolished by the Hell's Angels that George had invited to stay, IIRC.
    I've always wondered that, *if* the Beatles had agreed to record this and release it as a single...would that have thawed relations a bit and enticed John to stay in the band a bit longer? :shh:

13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

What a great idea it was having Tommy Smothers on this track. And it sure was a fun, crazy track, surprising us all way back in the day, aeons before the internet, by cracky. "You shoulda been there." -- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

john lennonist likes this.
  14. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

John said so. However, it's much farther out there in the hinterlands of FM territory than any Beatles single released to that point, even "Revolution" or "The Ballad Of John & Yoko," both of which have the sturdy popcraft "Cold Turkey" lacks. It's a great rock performance, but as hard to imagine in the Fab mold as "Another Day" or "My Sweet Lord."

JonnyKidd and Zeki like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Love Give Peace A Chance hate Cold Turkey - the song, not the food!

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Cold Turkey is a great song but it isn't a Beatles song. McCartney and/or the others were right to reject it.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I like GPAC, love Cold Turkey, probably my fave of the solo singles.

18. Arnold Grove

I am confident that the Beatles could have recorded "Cold Turkey" if they were a fully functional group in late 1969, which they weren't. I also doubt John's story that the other Beatles rejected it. Ringo plays on the released 45, and he didn't have a problem with it. And there is no reason why Paul and George could not have contributed instrumentally if they were still a band.

However, if it were a true story, then what the Beatles would have rejected would have been releasing "Cold Turkey" as their next single. They definitely could have recorded it as an album track. But they likely would have balked at releasing it as a 45 single.

19. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Cold Turkey is fabulous.

Cheap Trick revisited it later on after Nielsen and Carlos played on a Lennon session and JWL remarked that Rick played guitar on 'I'm losing you' a lot like Clapton did on Cold Turkey, except Rick didn't 'choke' on some guitar parts like Eric did.

JonnyKidd, noirbar, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Good point. I did mean as a single but I guess I never thought of it as anything but a single.

So you don't think it is a true story?

21. slane

slane Forum Resident

Surely the main guitar part(s) is Lennon and Clapton playing the riff(s) in unison?

john lennonist likes this.
  22. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

It's what Lennon apparently said, so clarification is a bit awkward to come by.

23. Arnold Grove

Personally, I think John was exaggerating. Abbey Road was all finished by late August 1969 and suddenly John wants to record a new Beatles single, namely "Cold Turkey". He might have wanted to, but the other Beatles were not ready. Linda McCartney in particular was getting ready to give birth to Mary, so Paul was preoccupied in September 1969. And at one of the Beatles business meetings in September 1969, John declared himself as Jesus and also quit (I'm not sure if this was the same meeting). So maybe John thought he presented the song to the others, and they didn't respond satisfactorily. But I don't think anyone took it seriously as a candidate to be the next Beatles single.

Just my opinion. But there is not much outside verification to support John.

Paulwalrus, theMess, Rich C and 2 others like this.
  24. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Just a few months before in 1969, Mary Hopkin's second single was released. "Goodbye" was written and produced by Paul--never heard John had anything to do with it, but the song was credited to Lennon-McCartney. I guess at that point they were both still honoring their songwriting credit agreement. I can imagine the firestorm if Paul released his demo now credited only to himself.

supermd, Paulwalrus, theMess and 2 others like this.
  25. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Both songs mentioned so far are okay in my book, but not outstanding. Prefer "Cold Turkey" though.

Paper Wizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.