New HBO series, "Vinyl"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by geoffr, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's all that needs to be said and what kept me away. Life's too short to spend time with these people. Awful.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sometimes it does, but there are examples of very good shows that just went down in flames because they went over the heads of the audience, it wasn't promoted well enough, it was on an obscure channel people couldn't find, or other reasons. I have been astonished when I've encountered thick-headed producers who are convinced their show is the Citizen Kane of Television, and they have no clue just how awful it is. It's like their in a total state of denial. Hey, I'm just the colorist -- I just turn knobs, stay quiet, and make pretty pictures. The content is up to them.

I think the problem is that the version of James Brown presented in Get On Up was kind of indecipherable, plus he was mean, temperamental, and very difficult. It's hard for an audience to empathize with a character this distant and hostile, no matter how great a performer he is. It didn't help that the movie jumped all over the place chronologically, which drove me crazy.

I think what ultimately did in Vinyl were the conceptual flaws of a) having so much mob crime in the show, and b) having very unpleasant characters as the regulars. As I said above, even Nucky Johnson and Tony Soprano had their (occasional) good sides.

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Of course, you have seen and heard it all. I can imagine you just have to keep it your self when dealing with dellusional
    Twats in Hollywood.

But Vinyl was promoted on every comceivable avenue and media outlet, social media etc.

This was was just a stinker.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  4. ServingTheMusic

So far, the first 15 minutes of Roadies sucks so bad, it hurts. I will try to stick it out and stay open minded.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  5. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What am I gonna download now from Pirate Bay mate ?

ubiknik likes this.
  6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Under the Dome. Start from the beginning.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. Gavinyl

Will give it a go mate

8. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Mr Robot

Mechanical Man likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I say, if it sucks, leave. I can't remember a show or movie that starts out terrible then turns out great.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

I'm out. Among the very worst Pilots I have ever encountered. C - level shlock. Embarrassing actually.

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I watched it for the music and the nostalgia factor, but I could just not get into any of the characters. Every time you think Richie might turn things around, he does something S***ty.

BilboAlaska and Gavinyl like this.
  12. Gavinyl

Waiting for new season...

13. Gavinyl

That's what addicts/alcoholics do....

14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I'm fairly sure that Ernst character is based on Brian Jones. The same nasty and careless bastard, died young (and in the 60's too!), have Brian Jones look etc. Given that Jagger is producer of the series... well..

mdm08033 likes this.
  15. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This was nothing more than mobsters with records.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

PREACHER.

misterdecibel and Gavinyl like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The new president of HBO just gave an interview with an interesting post-mortem:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard, what did you learn most from the Vinyl experience?

PLEPLER You can have an extraordinary array of talent in one place — a preternatural director in Marty [Scorsese], a showrunner with a brilliant track record like Terry [Winter], maybe the most famous rock star [Mick Jagger] of our era who knew that period better than anyone, a brilliant cast and everybody is very excited, and it doesn't land quite the way you hope it's going to land.

SAPAN I've never seen that. (Laughs.)

PLEPLER To quote Hyman Roth, "That’s the business we've chosen."

How did you make that decision to renew Vinyl and then kill it?

DUBUC Well, you don't make a decision to fail.

PLEPLER We took a look at where we were, and the fundamental question on the table was, "Could it be great?" You have to answer that very coldly and honestly. Not, "Could it be better?" but "Can it be great?" And if you come to the conclusion that it's going to be a better version of good and, given how high the bar is, [and that there's] something of a target on the back of that show, we collectively made a decision, "Let's move on." Those are difficult decisions, but that's what we get paid to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TV Titans Roundtable: 5 Chiefs Spar Over the Future (and Netflix's Role as Arch-Frenemy) | Hollywood Reporter »

forthlin, eddiel and ralphb like this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Now I'd like an explanation as to why they cancelled "Looking" after they said they were behind it for a third season. Yeah, I know we got the movie (which was wonderful) but no one ever explained why they changed their minds. My guess is the expense.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm guessing because the audience numbers were low and the reviews were not good. I didn't like the show for the simple reason that there wasn't enough drama and conflict in it. I would have the same reaction to any subject matter: straight, gay, or inbetween. Ultimately, it's a show about people and relationships, and if it isn't compelling, I ain't gonna watch it. "Realistic" rarely makes for interesting television.

forthlin and ralphb like this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I guess Andrew Haigh's approach was just a bit too laid back for most people. The same mood and tempo that worked so beautifully in the film "Weekend" wasn't enough to sustain a television audience week to week. Shame really, it was a terrific show.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Funny you mention that, I just did last night and so far watched Episode 1 of Vinyl (Finally). Looking forward to the next 9 Episodes....

P.S. Was really surprised to learn who Mick Jagger’s son was

22. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It's a great show. Ignore what people say.

23. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The last few pages of postmortem opinions on this thread have been really interesting to read. I'm still going with the "unreliable narrator" theory, that maybe none of this stuff in the show actually happened, the way it's depicted as happening, and you weren't supposed to believe it. Maybe it's ALL just a fabrication of the Ritchie character's overblown, over-active imagination, looking back on the past, starting with the very first scene. Like as if the show is just some old washed-up has-been dude in a bar, telling yarns from his old days in the record biz, trying to make himself sound like he was somebody important. I see him as like a Leonard Zelig type cat -- he's in the middle of everything, the heart of the music business of the '70s -- the blues, the Velvet Underground inner circle, the Dolls, Zeppelin ,Bowie, way early on the punk movement and even present for the actual birth of hip-hop itself -- and yet he somehow leaves no trace, and leaves no substantial mark on any of it whatsoever? All his projects mysteriously evaporate, all the big name bands he schmoozes end up choosing other labels instead of his, even the tapes of the great unreleased blues album from Lester what's-his-name get burned up, he's somehow in the private hotel room one-on-one with Elvis, giving him career advice, and nobody else is around to hear it, and on and on and on.

If you DO choose to view it in that way, from that angle -- as a guy telling a fictional "you shoulda been there" story about the '70s that isn't really true at ALL, thinking that he can get away with it and fool the audience, but he actually doesn't fool the audience....well yes, it's a bit of a leap, but then it suddenly clears up a lot of the murk, and actually kinda clears up many of the complaints and critiques that various people in this forum have (legitimately) brought up.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, I think you have to buy into the show as alternative history, featuring a universe similar to ours but going in quite a few different directions. This was not a documentary: it was a fictional show with occasional real-world celebrities in it.

25. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

What a load of BS from these guys. If "can it be great" was any criteria, then "Enlightened" would not have been cancelled as this show was already brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.