Does Anyone Have an Opinion on UK CD label BGO Records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigpink68, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Nevermind . . . I scrolled down and I see March 2015. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth! :eek:

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You bandwidth waster!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Until the last remaster, BGO's Get The Knack was my favorite mastering. (It's a great deal if you want their second album along with it.) IIRC, their twofer of the first two Pat Benatar albums sounds the same as the original US CDs — which is to say, pretty good. (The original Crimes Of Passion still sounds excellent to me.) BGO's UFO twofers also please me.

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Honourable mention should be for the two Hollies Imperial twofers from 2011 which are a most for Hollies fans.and the Motels re-issues.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I recently got the BGO three-fer of Nicolette Larson's Nicolette/In The Nick of Time/Radioland and I think it sounds really, really nice. The only thing that would've made it perfect would've been if they added the fourth (Andrew Gold-produced) album All Dressed Up and No Place To Go.

6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I own two of their Mountain discs, Climbing and Nantucket Sleighride. Both are good and I like them better than the Columbia Legacy remasters. Particularly Nantucket Sleighride sounds excellent. Also have a few of their Tubes discs which I also enjoy and recommend.

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Does anyone have any of their Charley Pride releases and care to comment? Looks like a good way to get his first 24 albums (sans Best Of compilations) in chronological order if the releases are up to par.

dalem5467 and melstapler like this.
  8. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I have the BGO compilations that have these Charley Pride Albums:

"Country Charley Pride"
    "The Country Way"
    "Pride of Country Music"
    "Make Mine Country"
    "Songs of Pride...Charley That Is"
    "In Person"
    "The Sensational Charley Pride"
    "Just Plain Charley"
    "Charley Pride's 10th Album"
    "From Me to You"
    "Charley Pride Sings Heart Songs"
    "I'm Just Me"

I am happy with the sound quality, and since it's unlikely that these albums would be available on another label I'm glad I have bought them. The individual albums tend to be short, but there are usually four albums on a 2-CD collection. The sound is not bright and they definitely are not brickwalled, so if you like Charley Pride go for it while you can! As a rule I like the BGO releases and if I see a group or artist I like having an original album released I strongly consider getting it.

dalem5467, melstapler and Steve...O like this.
  9. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Thank you, Rock66! Much appreciated.

10. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

I have about 20 or so of their releases and the only one I really have a problem with is Shirley Bassey - Live at Talk Of The Town. The sound is horrible on it. The other half, Live at The Pigalle, is good though.

Every other release I have gotten from them has been very good to excellent.

11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said. You can never have enough Pride in your collection. Since Bear Family Records hasn't shown much interest in the way of a comprehensive Charley Pride box set, these BGO sets may be the closest we come to owning these excellent country albums from one of the greatest of his era.

dalem5467 likes this.
  12. melstapler

The only Charley Pride set to approach with caution is "Did You Think To Pray/A Sunshiny Day With Charley Pride/Sweet Country/Songs Of Love By Charley Pride." The track for the song 'You're Wanting Me to Stop Loving You' cuts out unexpectedly. Fortunately, BGO have already taken steps to rectify such issues. However, if you end up with the original pressing as I did, contact BGO immediately through their site and they will ship a replacement disc containing the amended audio.

Steve...O likes this.
  13. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

They recently released the first four Janie Fricke albums on a two cd set (first time on cd for all), and are releasing the next four solo albums in November. Can't comment on the sound quality because they just walked in my door!

melstapler likes this.
  14. melstapler

BGO are releasing some interesting country music title. They also have new 2CD sets containing 4 albums by Charlie Rich and Ray Price.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just learned last night that they overhauled Dan Fogelberg's first album, Home Free, going back to the original masters to get the nice, dry mix, not available on CD elsewhere.
    I quickly ordered a copy.

ispace likes this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have:

Procol Harum: Procol Harum/Shine on Brightly, 2002
    Steppeenwolf: Steppenwolf/Steppenwolf the Second, 1999
    Leo Kottke: Greenhouse, 1997
    Fleetwood Mac: English Rose, 2007
    Blodwyn Pig: Ahead Rings Out, 1994

All are good, sound is fine, decent documentation.

Downside:

Osibisa: Osibisa/Woyaya, 2004; both discs were defective; there were very hard-to-see physical flaws in the data layer inside the polycarbonate, which was perfect. Bad QC, but I no longer have it, so I can't identify the pressing plant.

17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . better than a lint-licker!

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I have quite a few. The first one was the Johnny Rivers Rewind/Realisation twofer. Sonically, I can recall them being OK, though I was always a little suspicious of the 'Remastered' sticker on the front: as I recall, the booklets never included remastering details.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is that? Never heard the term.

20. They had a Dave Mason twofer that had the same issue but, overall, their quality has been extremely good!

21. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

They're not very good at updating their website, they've got Merle Haggard as still recording and gigging! Release-wise though it's pretty up to date to me.

I like BGO, generally quality releases at decent prices (what I've had anyway), I've stuff from them by:

Jerry Lee Lewis
    Merle Haggard
    Rick Nelson
    Chuck Berry
    New Riders of the Purple Sage
    Phil Everly
    Ike Turner
    Joe Ely
    They've just released a 2 CD set with Little Richard 3 Reprise albums on, same price as a single disc, it's cool!

Some of this stuff wouldn't be easily available if it wasn't for them so good on 'em.

And who doesn't love a slipcased CD?!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ten Years After - R&R Music the the World on BGO was a major improvement over the US. It sounds nearly identical to Steve's mastering on the AF.

23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

That Charlie Rich set is on my hit list.

dalem5467 and melstapler like this.
  24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree with everything, 'cept the slip-cased cds. I've certainly encountered a few that were so tight I had to dispose of the cases! :)

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  25. I have all of the JLL releases, a couple of Merle and the new Little Richard and love em' all!

dalem5467, melstapler and The Killer like this.