Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Nearly all my favorite box sets have already been mentioned, but here's one that hasn't:

The Supremes:
    [​IMG]

Plus, I'm not sure if it counts as the type of box set the OP had in mind, but the new Van Morrison "It's Too Late To Stop Now, Vols. II-IV" is up there too.
    [​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Have to add The Stones new Totally Stripped deluxe box to my earlier list.

Mark

3. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

[​IMG]

Bear Family's 13 cd set "Truckers, Kickers & Cowboy Angels 1966-75"

southamorican, Twangy, JoeF. and 4 others like this.
  4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Only have a few and while none of them are perfect, I've never truly been burned by a box set.
    (Dylan's Biograph and Bootleg Series 1-3 came close to perfection.)

Sandy Denny Live at The BBC. Yes, there's some questionable sounding material on this set, but I have to believe the source was in poor shape and I'm glad they included what they had rather than leaving it off. As someone who came to know Sandy way too late and never got a chance at the colossal 19 CD set, this seems like an essential box to me.

Nothing More - The Collected Fotheringay. I was a little disappointed by the dynamics of this release, but the material is astonishing.

Blue Oyster Cult - Columbia Albums Collection. I could go on and on about little things that ticked me off about this release, but its a fine collection of music and I had an amazing time going through it all.
    Its just a shame the 4 live show downloads are kaput. Amazon should remove that from the description because if you buy this set new at over $100, you can no longer download those shows!

Electric Light Orchestra - The Classic Albums Collection. Probably the best box set I ever got for such a small amount of money. Yes, the dynamics could be better but honestly they're not bad at all. Plus you get a bunch of previously unreleased stuff, all on 11 albums for around 50 bucks. Amazing bang for your buck.

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds Sessions, 30 Years of Good Vibrations, Made In California, SMiLE Sessions
    The Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair
    Frank Sinatra - The Reprise Years
    The Police - Message In A Box
    The Clash - Sound System
    Bruce Springsteen - Live 1975-85, The Promise
    David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk

7. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

pere ubu - datapanik in the year zero
    velvet underground box
    cowabunga- the surf collection
    lee perry - arkology
    beatles - mono
    rolling stones - london years (singles collection) - although it would have been better with stereo mixes, where available...

mbrownp1 likes this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I recently bought an amazing box set that has far surpassed my expectations.

[​IMG]

".......... anyone into the Noise genre or drones would find much to like here. Also those who enjoy early Krautrock - think early Tangerine Dream (through Rubycon). Though we know these sounds are made by metallic sculptures, at times they could easily be the washes of a synthesizer."

926am likes this.
  9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Ohhh yeaaah

10. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I did not know that it was out of print, I was JUST listening to on my lunch break!

11. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The 5-CD Orange Goblin box rocks from one end to the other.

Runicen likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

There are almost no box sets at all of Argentine rock. This one includes Almendra's complete studio recordings from 1968 to 1970, it was nicely remastered and packaged. I think it's out of print now, but I strongly recommend it to those interested in South American rock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

By my favorite pianist, Sviatoslav Richter.

LarsO, cmcintyre and Sternodox like this.
  14. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

The Columbia Albums Collection: Blue Oyster Cult.

15. Sternodox

Just picked up the Santa Sabina box En Vivo XV ... 2 CDs and a DVD of a live concert, videos, a bio film, and many photos of the band. Found it in a store in Querétaro, Mexico. Ya'll should seriously check this band out! Amazing!!!

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

The Metallica Ride The Lightning deluxe box set is absolutely my favorite by a long shot.

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Puhdys - Lieder Für Generationen

I'm still working my way through this slab. I only found out about Puhdys as a longtime Rammstein fan. Imagine my surprise in learning that East Germany had some pretty rocking bands to his credit.

Maybe this is just a US thing. I was always given the impression that you just ate moldy potatoes and sobbed all day on the other side of the iron curtain. :laugh:

andrewskyDE and Roland S. like this.
  18. Sternodox

Oh yeah ...

And the ENO boxes, Vocal and Instrumental

Pere Ubu, Datapanik in the Year Zero (the 5-CD version)

The Henry Cow Road Boxes

One of the most wonderful, and lesser known boxes, Complete by News From Babel (Zeena Parkins, Lindsay Cooper, Chris Cutler, and Dagmar)

And I damn sure wish I could have afforded the wonderful Family box, Once Upon a Time

Ditto the Sandy Denny box, which just makes me angry every time I see it listed for more than $1,000.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

1. Throbbing Gristle - 24
    2. The Beatles - Mono
    3. Bob Dylan - Genuine Live 66 (10 CD with Bristol)

20. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

NUGGETS
    NUGGETS II
    NUGGETS III

Robert Parker, PaulJay and Sternodox like this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

20 Years of Jethro Tull
    Listen to the Band- the Monkees
    Cars Anthology although only 2 discs is a goodie.
    Message in a Box.

Citizen Steely Dan DID disappoint

22. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I'd love a copy of that on vinyl as well.....local record store here has had one on the shelf in mint condition for quite awhile.....they have a $400 price tag on it. Ouch.

- Buck

23. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Two boxes I love from Film Score Monthly (who are now out of the CD business :():
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  24. Sternodox

BTW ... Does anyone know if the big Sandy Denny box will ever be re-released? And if not, why? This is one of the VERY VERY VERY few times I will condone downloading.

25. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.