Neil Young hangs up on reporter, insists he use Pono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fastnbulbous, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I was only joking... :) Considering the specs of the Pono, it seems reasonably priced to me. I'll confess I have yet to hear one.

ARK likes this.
  2. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Try to spend only $400 on anything McIntosh.

3. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

Neil was always unbalanced. His eccentricities go all the way back to Buffalo Springfield.

4. lmao, ive thought he's been crazy for 30 years. This is no recent development, at least for me

5. TheDailyBuzzherd

I know of that drama but not the terms. I looked up
    the ranch status and found nothing, until someone
    above clued us in. Don't think he'd give up the ranch.

Isn't there an old ranch joke that applies?

Give up the ranch?

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

"Unbalanced" doesn't fit. He admits he's a loner.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Neil: "Hello..?...hello??? ******* hung up on me."

johnnybrum, Dino and Mike Bass like this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

any neil young thread these days:

blah blah blah ARCHIVES 2. blah blah blah DARRYL HANNAH. blah blah blah PONO.

edited to include: blah blah blah JACKED UP PRICES.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    ARK, Favre508, Dino and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I know, so was I (even though I hope I'm right). I still can't decide though whether Pono is
    - reasonably overpriced
    - not reasonably underpriced
    - obscenely unpriced

And I still need a break.

Sternodox and gregorya like this.
  10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Am I missing something here? The title implies some connection between Neil Young hanging up on the reporter and his insistence on him using Pono. But Pono isn't mentioned once by Young in the interview bit quoted in the OP. I'm confused. :confused:

11. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I thought he said he DIDN'T own the ranch anymore on WTF. Marc seemed surprised and so was I. Neil then went on to say it's good to live in other places and not be so isolated.

tremspeed likes this.
  12. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Wonderful! A full-blooded, intelligent human! And it types! :)

Seriously folks, you don't have to post about everything, you don't have to make everything an event to spike your days. There's absolutely no story here. A cranky Neil Young hangs up on an interview ... & some of you acting like he's done some horrible social faux-pas?!?!? Get over yourselves!

What places music chat boards are becoming. It's true, the trashy sort of celebrity talk/evaluation of everything creeping into these types of places/discussions, ugh.

Don't you understand what a Neil Young is doing? In a world where most choose to play it safe & toe the line he is making a very deep point about Art & has actually sacrificed his mind, body &, seemingly, likeableness to do something special & FOLLOW THE MUSE. There's no other way for him. and look at how people, increasingly, read this: from their middle class safety net lives, from anonymous computers making final statements on a career/life like Neil Young's. He's in unchartered territory with his age & the long successes, of course it's not the sleek, cool, perfect beginning. Perspective, people!

So The Doors are overrated & actually not that good & Neil Young, too. I'm learning a lot from the Steve Hoffman forums lately.

chacha and Sternodox like this.
  13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I didn't read it as a connection between the two, but as two separate events. Young insisted on him using Pono. And he hung up on him.

14. are Ponos still being made ?

15. The writer did listen to the album. He says so in the article.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  16. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I wonder if he didn't detect an impertinence in the question about animal sounds? It has been made into a bit of a joke. I think it sounds interesting, but I'm not going to pay his jacked-up prices to hear it.

JannL likes this.
  17. wolfram

Ok. I guess you can read it both ways. I still find it misleading.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Click bait thread title.

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

no, he said he still owns it but doesn't live there anymore.

20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

If you read the article, the author doesn't imply a connection between the two. Although there was this paragraph:

Before I could call back, the phone rang: Young's publicist. He sounded concerned. "Neil's a bit confused," he told me. "You said that you did hear the record on Pono. You did, yeah?" I did. Yep. "We want to make sure that people understand what the record is," the publicist explained. "He doesn't want to re-explain what it is.... He's under the assumption maybe that you didn't hear the record completely."

ARK and Dino like this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

just looked at amazon. 15 bucks for a double cd, 45 bucks for a triple lp. please explain what's "jacked up" about those prices. show your work. thanks.

22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I read his book and it was great. It was different than any other other autobio I've read. He is funny as hell and clearly highly intelligent. He is also a bit of loon and that's OK. He is different different than us mere mortals and we are lucky that we have him around. God bless Neil Young.

Billy_Sunday and Gavinyl like this.
  23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

How many of Neil's recent releases have been "$15 double cds" or come with an extra dvd to justify that price? Sorry but for me 45 bucks is a little steep for a mercurial artist like Neil's later work.

24. wolfram

Ok. I only read the bit quoted in the OP. It still seems that Young's main concern is that people have listened to the whole album before talking to him about it. Whatever.

25. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Maybe Pegi is better off on her own...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.