Neil Young hangs up on reporter, insists he use Pono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fastnbulbous, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood Thread Starter

Not...sure...if...serious...

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If you read the full story, he did.

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

It's a 3lp set.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  4. htom

htom Senior Member

Funny, it shows up as $19.49 when I look at it.

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Better that Neil releases "Earth' than earth releases Neil. ref. recent Paul Simon announcement, these guys aren't going to be around much longer.

To Neil's credit he's trying to leave the world a better place. On the other hand, why not try to be patient and civil with a reporter who's sympathetic to your concerns, and fairly well informed about your body of work. That's gotta be easier and more productive than, say, getting Linc Volt running.

ARK and Heart of Gold like this.
  6. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Oh. Well then.

7. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Conservatively overpriced?

Seriously, I don't know how anyone who listened to Last Trip To Tulsa from his very first album 40 years ago could think Neil is not crazy. :)

Mr Sam likes this.
  8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

After all these years I'm not going to form an opinion on Neil Young based upon some critic who seems to be predisposed with an axe to grind from the start.

Rich C likes this.
  9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That was my take on it too.
    The album has a theme running through it and the animal noises are there to enhance that theme. Neil seems to feel that it should be obvious and doesn't need explaining.
    He is a strange cat! (Animal themed pun intended).

ARK and videoman like this.
  10. Wmcmanus

Wmcmanus Senior Member

Neil being Neil. The shock! The horror!

polchik and Mazzy like this.
  11. I dont think this was the case. If you read it all he loves Neil's music. It's totally fair reporting.

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I guess you didn't read the whole piece?

ARK, Comet01, Fastnbulbous and 2 others like this.
  13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

What makes you think he seems to be that?

You don't want to judge Young based on one critic--- fair enough---but before you judge the critic you should probably at least read the entire article?

14. O Don Piano

I did read the article.
    I stand by my post.

15. O Don Piano

48 years ago.........

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

You've got to read the entire article. You'll probably come to a different conclusion then. I sure did.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh, for Christ's sake, you must be kidding, right?

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I don't think he was asking you judge Neil Young based on his one article. Where did you get that from it? Or that he was disposed with an axe to grind?

He was simply relaying a single event that happened. And ends the article with a defense of Young and talking about how we need to understand that our music idols are really just men, not gods.

Lost In The Flood and Zeki like this.
  19. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Yeah, you would think he was Paul Simon or something. All of that "self-aggrandizing" stuff in his interviews. We need to be more selective in our criticism of how artists answer questions. We just don't want to hear them say things "that no one wants to hear". :rolleyes:

20. I dont think this was the case. If you read it all he loves Neil's music. It's totally fair reporting.
    it seems you may have skipped a few lines he wrote then.

21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I have a feeling he'll be swinging to the right again, any day now...

22. I didn't read any sour grapes in the article about Pono, but about Neil--i.e., interviewing a dog was easier.

23. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Yeah, I misunderstood when I read the OP: I thought that the whole article was presented there.
    I read the whole thing and yeah, it's pretty weird. Neil seems to be pretty out there.

rstamberg and Mazzy like this.
  24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I was blind tested by an audio expert at our local high-end audio shop at my request when I purchased the Pono and the difference is very obvious. He himself was impressed and we tested it against €1200 range players. It stood up well against most players. It is clunky and is not intended to be used in the city with traffic all around you, it is intended for proper music listening. People who use their phones everyday with naff buds are never going to tell the difference or hear any benefit.
    The Pono will only be of interest to a hardcore few but I stand by it. Also with many of these tests there seems if you dig deeper into the background there is often people with a vested interest in MP3/AAC formats who are constantly bashing higher quality digital sound.

ARK, Billy_Sunday and Ephi82 like this.
  25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

A big question -
    Just who warned the reporter that Neil would ask him about Pono?
    A Newsweek editor, or Neil's camp/ management? Or another interviewer/ colleague?

That obviously steered him in a direction that was NOT in alignment with Neil's focus.

The writer got set up to assume his interview would start with Pono and trickle down. So easy!

As we know Neil is more complex that any other current pop icon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.