How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedon0922

thedon0922 Member

everytime i swear off buying used records from discogs, I do it and remember why I don't. People just straight lie on their grading.

Raynie and LordThanos1969 like this.
  2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

We've been really having real problems lately with Discogs buyers trying to "work the system" for their financial benefit.

Today, I received a PayPal claim from a guy who was apparently upset because I typo'd the limited edition number on a Deep Purple LP (#2761 I put in #2561)

Last week, an Italian guy wanted an $83 refund for a corner ding on two records that happened in transit (despite our best packing in a mailer with extended corners AND an extra layer of corner protection over it, plus the customer declined insurance) That despite the actual cost of the records being only $50 total. Punitive damages that we're giving?

It's really burning me out as a seller...why is it that everyone suddenly feels they can renegotiate the price after receiving an item by what basically amounts to extortion?

We sell good stuff (that in some cases has been in our direct possession for 30 years), make an effort to package properly and grade reasonably...

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Did you get photos with an extreme closeup of the corner ding, so they could try to make it look like it got grossly mangled?

Filing a claim for a typo on the number is just disgusting, unless somehow the number 2761 had some amazingly special significance to the buyer. Even so, somebody like that needs to get some fun out of life, as Tony Montana would say.

krlpuretone likes this.
  4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yes, of course!

I did make some progress with PayPal saying that while the damage was regrettable, it was also quite frivolous to file a claim about it since it was superficial.

Fun out of life is one thing, fun out of my bank account is quite another. Between those two claims PayPal is now siting on $300 of my funds, along with the fact that I don't have either item and laid out almost $70 in postage.

And recently, we've actually had success with PayPal claims (before the latest update to their system) winning three in a row over six months.

I'm just tired of the whole nickel/diming aspect of it.

What would someone say if I called their workplace and asked the boss to take $300 out of their paycheck? Probably would not be too happy...

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Very little, though I use it just to look.

6. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

That's me too. The last two items had to go back. One was grossly overrated (rated M/M and was closer to VG), and the other CD had a sun faded spine even though I'd specifically asked about sun fading. I got my money back on both, but it's just not worth the hassle.

The7thStranger and shokhead like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Everyday. :agree:

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Funny you should ask.
    Almost every day!

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I find Discogs very useful for quickly determining if an album I'm unfamiliar with has any real value.

I find Discogs problematic for buying, as grading--even for sellers with a ton of listings--is, um, "optimistic" on the part of the seller.

I find Discogs so-so for selling. The upside is that the stuff just sits there and you don't need to do anything once it's listed except ship if it sells. But I find that mostly it does just sit there. (Then again, I don't have much listed; and I have sold things from time-to-time, just not with the frequency that eBay offers).

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  10. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

^^ It might help if you every now and then relist your stock on Discogs by just a few clicks on your inventory page. This triggers these items to pop up in the daily Wantlist messages a lot of people have set up.

11. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Over on discogs' forum I've seen people getting very annoyed about that.

black sheriff likes this.
  12. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Well, yeah they do but that is directed to some very big sellers who sell through multiple platforms and update their stock using the uploading of CSV files which triggers these messages as well, something Discogs management somehow can't seem to fix / remedy. And at the same time they also aren't willing to introduce a Block Seller (there is a Block Buyer function) or Filter Seller function on the Want List feature.

What I was suggesting isn't really that frowned uponif you keep the frequency down to a certain minimum like once or twice a week.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I got all the Cocteau Twins CD EPs and Singles on there in the last couple of months so I was checking every day.

That's quite a lot of discs and many sellers. I was looking for N/M and apart from one seller they were as described.
    One of the (so called) N/M went in the bin...yes it was that bad!

I haven't used it since I got that 'job' done, but it is a great resource for picking up on wonders from the past that you may have overlooked :)

14. I use it whenever I'm doing some serious looking. But apparently it's been a while I logged in recently and was met with new Terms of Service Agreements. I never like that.

15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I use it daily for reference but rarely buy from there.

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Here's a nice "VG+" graded record I got through Discogs today, as one can imagine the vinyl is in the same condition...

[​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I've been using it a bit recently and I have to say I've been really lucky. A couple of records have been listed as vg+ but when you read the description they have been play tested and are described as excellent and have been pretty close to n/m when they've arrived. I think the trick is to really research all the copies for sale, compare and contrast. I've picked up some right bargains by taking my time. I won't buy if there is no description or just a detailed postage info. I also check out all the sellers feedback. I've had better luck on discogs that I have buying from shops (damn them with their sneaky lighting!)

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

one MORE rip off from a discogs seller, Near Mint??? Near Mint my ass!.... :realmad:

(yes that is the big problem of discogs, seller hide and overgrade records because they don't need add pictures, so they tends to OVERGRADE)

[​IMG]

19. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I use it quite a bit for research. I've never bought there but I've been considering it because I haven't been very impressed with eBay sellers of late. Would people here say that shopping on discogs is better or worse or the same as the auction site?

20. Myke

Been adding my entire collection to the database, going on 1500 pieces, and still have a long way to go.

klockwerk likes this.
  21. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Here my feedback just left to another thread few minutes ago:

I bought a couple of times (LP vinyl) on Discogs and all was ok.
    I am very fussy and skeptical and before buying I do a lot of questions, sometimes I request photos and matrix confirmation etc., and I always received answers fast enough.
    Anyway, as already stated by someone, I think that often the classification (grade), both visual and play, are very inaccurate!
    To my choice and for greater security, do not buy from sellers who have a positive feedback less than 99.8%. And always before buying read some feedbacks received by the seller to make me an idea of the person...
    That's why I bought little until now :D
    However, if you are experienced and you know what to look for, Discogs is IMO a source of very valuable information.

LordThanos1969 and greelywinger like this.
  22. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I made my first discogs purchase. A record listed as Mint. I never expect an actual mint when I see that grade but I hope for certain near mint. Received VG+\E.

23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

WAY worse in my experience. Don't waste my time there any more.

24. Myke

Much, much better. More lying scumbags that couldn't grade a record properly, if their life depended on it.
    At Discogs, you start with the best feedback of course. Then engage them in some conversation, to feel them out. I've had 15 transactions there, each and every one a success in the same style as I get with The Best in our own Classifieds.

jon9091 and shokhead like this.
  25. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Best advised to only make edits when absolutely necessary (for example, if selling). Those people are not only difficult personally but lacking in knowledge and not open to learning. Sometimes it feels like a "mean-girl HS cheerleading squad" without any of the good part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.