If The White album was a single disc Then ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Most of us seasoned, Beatle fan, Hoffman alumni. Know these subjects by heart, but here we go.

We know both George Martin & Ringo Starr both preferred a single monster good, 14 song album, instead of the double. But of course as McCartney says, " it's the Beatles bloody White album, it sold, shut up".

First question, if it was a single album, what do you do with all the extra tracks ? Do you make a 2nd album & release it 2-3 months later ? Or ? What would other options be ?

Next question. Would a single album, followed by a 2nd shortly afterwards, open up the bonus tracks, non LP tracks like Hey Jude, Not Guilty & Revolution for use on either of these two albums.

Next question observation- Yellow Submarine the movie & album, came out in early 69. 2-3 months after the White album. Instead of just the 4 unreleased Beatle tracks in Yellow Submarine, there would now be enough for a single white album, a follow up single album, & many extra tunes, that could have debuted in Yellow Submarine.

Next question. I think The double white album, was a creative decision, favored by John, Paul, & perhaps Harrison. But their EMI contract stipulated 2 lps per year, for 7 years ? How much did that play into the decision.

This is a fun one, if the White album was split in half what songs would've been pulled for say 2 more singles ? Gently Weeps & Back in USSR or Blackbird ? Or you tell me ?

Remember this point , White LP is 30 songs, non LP singles ( Hey Jude ) & outtakes like Not Guilty, Sour Milk Sea, & Mary Jane make it at least 35-37 songs. & There are about 5 more early non white LP, non any LP - early 68 songs.Hey Bulldog, Lady Madonna, Across Universe, Inner Light, & also a few as yet unreleased 67 tracks... All Together Now, Xmas Time is here again.

So altogether, we're talking perhaps 45-50 songs, unreleased, or non LP singles only, as of October 1969.

With all that material you could have still done a double, & had enough for a 2nd 12 song LP, & still used the same 4 tracks on Yellow Submarine... or had 3 single studio lps, White, Whiter, & a full 12-14 new songs for Yellow Submarine.

How could this all have been better, play executive , tell us how you would do it, knowing all the facts, or most of them ?

How would you assemble 2 white albums ?

Finally, with 3 new albums of fresh material & outtakes, there would have been very little pressure to start delivering with Get Back in Jan 69. They could have moved slower, & gotten tighter for the live in studio LP Lennon originally envisioned for Let it Be. & Taken all year on that. Going out in style with their Swansong Abbey Road in 1970.

By the end of 1968, they had 45-50 songs in the can, to make their deadline of 2 lps a year, all they had to do, was rush Yellow Sub by 13 days, & perhaps add around 5-6 more new tracks. But they had 50!

So let's discuss it, I favor 2 single white lps, & a full12-14 song Yellow Submarine album also, using 12 songs that were unreleased or single only to that point

Ok dive in please,

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    linclink, Paulwalrus and Keith V like this.
  2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Then.....I would have never heard Number 9, number 9, number 9........

3. johnny moondog 909

Sure you would have. The Beatles recordings are the same. But maybe they're spread across 15 lps instead of 14.

4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Destiny wanted it to be a double. It was not meant to be a single album. It's only in the rearviewmirror one can go back and rearrange. Sit on the fence and be "wise". 'First thought, best thought', said Jack Kerouac. And I believe in The White Album. ;)

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

In the Top 10 for most often posted thread.

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

"It's great, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up!" - Paul McCartney

7. johnny moondog 909

Yes & no. Because I'm asking posters to explain. If they prefer a single album. Ok, then what would you do, with the other 20-30 songs, & to remember, Yellow Submarine was only 60 days later, what would you do there

So yeah, the part about , do you prefer a White double or single, gets posted here a lot. But I've asked some other specific questions also.

William Smart likes this.
  8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Record 1 would be "Back In The U.S.S.R." to "Julia". Record 2 would be "Birthday" to "Good Night". And I'd keep them in the same sleeve, just for safe keeping. I'd just knock one up out of white card.

9. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

It was the Beatles. By that time, they did pretty much whatever they wanted. If they wanted to make a statement with a double LP, then I'm not going to sit here 40 years later and second guess them. They were the frigging Beatles fer crissake. <grumble, grumble, grumble> <with a little gnashing of teeth thrown in>

Frosst, sekaer and majorlance like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lennon & McCartney both with Solo Albums with songs derived from The White Album. Is there enough songs, or would extra songs be required ie What's The New Mary Jane...?

perplexed and Keith V like this.
  11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Lennon would have had (slightly) more than enough.
    McCartney would have had (slightly) less than enough (unless he added Hey Jude).
    George would've had an EP
    Ringo would have had a single - but of the two which could possibly be made the A-side?

Frosst and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

And, Hey...McCartney would need Jude methinks. Any other McCartney tunes?

Frosst likes this.
  13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The only things I really liked from this album were "Julia" and "I Will" so for me, The White Album could have been a single. :)

AidanB, sekaer, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Actually Ringo said (in the Anthology film) that it should have been two separate volumes - a white and whiter album as there's a lot of information on a double album. That's pretty close to the quote (from memory)

As far as how to split it up into two volumes - its obvious isnt it? Look at the recording dates of each song included and put all the earlier recorded tracks on Vol 1, and the later recorded tracks on Vol 2, and perhaps derive two singles from the sessions rather than one.

John's early choice for a single was the album version of Revolution and Paul's seemed to be Ob-La-Di considering the amount of time spent recording it and the corresponding amount of annoyance to the rest of the band it caused. So that's the non-album single to come out alongside Vol 1, and Hey Jude is obvious as the A-side to a non album single to come out alongside Vol 2. The B-side? Maybe WMGGW?

That removes one George song from consideration on the 2 White albums, but Not Guilty can take its place as the one George song per side of the album(s).

15. milco

milco Forum Resident

The only problem with the theoretical downsizing of the White Album down to one 'killer' album is that no one can ever decide what the 14 killer tracks are. Endless 'survivor' threads on countless Beatles message boards prove this simple fact.

...which is exactly why, for all its imperfections, it should be left exactly as it is.

Stencil, Frosst and muffmasterh like this.
  16. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

If The White album was a single disc Then ?
    The following quote from Wikipedia.
    "The Beatles
    reached number one on the charts in both the United Kingdom and the United States and has since been viewed by some critics as one of the greatest albums of all time."
    I am happy with it how it is.
    I bought my original in '68. There would not be to many months since when I have not played one side.
    The ? of the thread is pointless.
    :crazy:It is like saying "If twist and Shout was a double album, what other 30 tracks would you put on it?"

17. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

The Beatles was meant to be a double album in the same way that Sandinista was meant to be a triple album. That is why we love them, analysis them and debate them to this day.

majorlance and Musician95616 like this.
  18. alexpop

14 track single album.
    Maybe not George Martin's pick, but a
    sweeter Apple bite, eh ?
    I think it would be higher rated if it was a singles album. I would include Hey Jude. No Ringo incl Goodnight. George "WMGGW ..sure, also Sour Milk Sea.
    Leaves 6 Lennon, 6 McCartney songs.
    Like to see Abbey Road compete with tbat ( ok! it's got the production honors,but).

Side 1
    Back In The USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Blackbird
    Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Side 2
    Revolution
    Martha My Dear
    Sour Milk Sea
    Sexy Sadie
    Mother Nature's Son
    Yer Blues
    Hey Jude

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

What's The New Mary Jane ????
    It certainly is not Beatles album standard; I don't think this is even up to a b-side.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Aren't there already about 50 similar threads on this topic?

21. alexpop

I wouldn't include it on a single white album. But a Lennon /White Album ' that is a 12/14 track album featuring John Lennon songs derived from the double album/ or that was considered being on it at one time ( Mary Jane/Nov '68 Beatles monthly).

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. Threads like these are the forum equivalent of clickbait.

23. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Six McCartney songs, six by Lennon and two by Harrison. Here is my version:

1. Back In the USSR
    2. Dear Prudence
    3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    5. Hapiness Is a Warm Gun
    6. Mother's Nature's Son
    7. I'm So Tired

1. Birthday
    2. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    3. Blackbird
    4. Yer Blues
    5. Long, Long, Long
    6. Helter Skelter
    7. Julia

alexpop likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Side 1
    Back In the U.S.S.R. 2:43
    Dear Prudence 3:56
    Mother Nature's Son 2:49
    Glass Onion 2:18
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps 4:45
    Julia 2:54
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun 2:43

Side 2
    Martha My Dear 2:29
    Yer Blues 4:02
    Cry Baby Cry 3:13
    Blackbird 2:18
    Sexy Sadie 3:17
    I'm So Tired 2:03
    Helter Skelter 4:31
    Good Night 3:12

25. Brendan Mulhaire

Brendan Mulhaire Forum Resident

Record #1 as delivered.

Some tracks from Record #2 could have been better used to make Let It Be stronger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.