Tom Petty The Live Anthology: Ultimate Collector's Edition Boxed Set (5 CDs + 1 Blu-ray + 2 DVDs + 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zafu, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin Thread Starter

This set must of been discussed here but I can't find the thread. It was released in 2009.

Just received it a few weeks ago and must say, it is absolutely stunning on all levels.

Although now one must pay around $150 for a "new" set, you can still find them used for about $50 and the "used" set I bought for that amount is just like new.

For any fan of Petty, if you don't have this, I can't recommend it more highly.

Cheers

Zafu

[​IMG]

The ultimate collector's boxed set includes:
    - 62 tracks on 5 CDs including 14 exclusive tracks on the 5th disc only available in the deluxe box set.

- DVD of 400 Days, a previously unreleased documentary film by director Martyn Atkins, made during the 1995 Wildflowers Tour

- DVD of previously unreleased New Years Eve 1978 Santa Monica, CA concert.

- Vinyl of re-mastered 1976 Official Live 'Leg bootleg album.

- One Blu-ray disc of all 62 tracks in both stereo and surround sound. This high resolution Blu-ray is an audio only disc with basic song navigation and information displayed on the screen. The 96K 24 bit audio on the disc has 256 times more resolution than a CD providing greater detail and reproducing the music's full dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds.

- Deluxe book with liner notes offering personal perspective by Tom Petty, Warren Zanes, Bill Flanagan, Robert Hilburn, Joel Selvin, Austin Scaggs, and Phil Sutcliffe.

- Lithograph reproduction of Shepard Fairey Cover Art (12" x 12" on high quality stock)

- Reproduction of 1997 twenty night Fillmore stand concert poster (8" x 12" on high quality stock)

- The Live Anthology notebook.

- Assorted authentic vintage backstage satin passes.

The MEZ, mick_sh, kcjayhawk and 2 others like this.
  2. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I bought the deluxe when it came out for the DVDs and extra songs -- i hadn't gone blu-ray yet. Finally made that upgrade and remembered recently that the Petty box had the Blu-ray. Phenomenal sound. Plus you can put it on for a party and not have to change discs for five hours. The same guy who did the 5.1 mix did the 5.1 remix of "Damn the Torpedoes," including the bonus tracks. never thought I'd get to hear Casa Dega in 5.1!

The MEZ and longdist01 like this.
  3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Great band, great set.

The MEZ and Clanceman like this.
  4. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Best Buy was selling these for $30 at one time. I don't know how long they lasted at that price, but I grabbed one. It always feels better when you get a great deal on a killer box!

The MEZ, Malina, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  5. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Like a fool, I had one of these in my hands for $30 at BB, and I put it back on the shelf. Never saw it again at that price, and I've been kicking myself ever since. Especially since shortly afterward I got an Oppo Blu-ray player, and could have experienced the BD in the set in all it's glory !!!

Clanceman and Myke like this.
  6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great set.

The MEZ, Clanceman and supernaut like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Awesome package! The sound on the BR is exceptional as is the song selection. I may have to dust this off as we speak!

longdist01 and Clanceman like this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

9. Macman

Macman Senior Member

The BR is indeed great. It's sequenced like the longest live show in history with crowd noise between songs. Love it.

The MEZ likes this.
  10. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

Anyone have a legal source for CD 5? Not sure I how missed the existence of this edition when I originally bought this ...

11. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I found a NM copy of this set today in a local record store for $12.99. Fantastic stuff, in wonderful sound (the Blu-ray is amazing, but to me even the CDs sound really, really good).

Malina, Zafu, 500Homeruns and 3 others like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Wow !!!! It and Easy Rider were my two reasons for getting my first Blu ray player in 2009. Heck of a bargain !!!

Rick H. and DrJ like this.
  13. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I almost fainted when I saw it up on the shelf. It seems like maybe they priced it thinking it was just the 4 CD set version. When I took it up to the register and the clerk opened it up to make sure everything was in there (it was), he saw all the contents and said "Yeah I wondered how long that would take to sell - great deal." I hear tell this was selling for only about $30 new at Best Buy when it was released so I guess in that context $12.99 used isn't too far off (the crazy listing prices I see online now are unfortunate given that).

The MEZ, ARK and Myke like this.
  14. Myke

I can't remember what my pre order was back in 2009. Would have to look up the list price in fact. Was it Best Buy ? Forgot that too. It does have many different pieces.
    I remember it filled EVERY piece of hardware I had at the time : 5 CDs / 1 BD / 1 record / 2 DVDs...

Clanceman and DrJ like this.
  15. Myke

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

It was more like $130 at Best Buy. I kept an eye out and a couple years later they blew them out at $30. I grabbed the last one at my store.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

ARK and 500Homeruns like this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks for clarifying. I missed it when it was released so wasn't sure about list. I guess I did get an amazing deal. :)

Myke and clhboa like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I love this set. I wish Petty would release more live stuff. He could do another box of that whole Fillmore run from 97ish.

ARK, Zafu and DrJ like this.
  20. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I bought the 4 cd set when it came out. A couple of years ago I bought The Deluxe version from Amazon. Slightly damaged box for $90 or so. Outstanding set of songs from one of rocks great live acts. Saw him for the first time in 1981 and a few times since.

The MEZ, davers and DrJ like this.
  21. The seven LP box is outstanding. Talk about ridiculous prices on this box now.

DrJ likes this.
  22. kBear

kBear Forum Resident

Nice catch - the live version of It's Good To Be King in 24 bits alone is worth every penny .. (I found one used on Amazon years ago)

DrJ likes this.
  23. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That's why when it went down to $30, I could have picked one up, and foolishly did not. I got the 4 CD version a few months ago at Barnes & Nobles for $10

ARK likes this.
  24. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I missed out on the Ultimate box on release and bought the 4disc set which itself is superb. Then I came across it on Amazon for £30 so I got my order in right away and as others have already said it is superb, I even got £10 for the 4 CD set!. Bargains aside as I have stated before on here Tom Petty is one of the greatest artists of the last 40 years.

mick_sh likes this.
  25. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

It is an awesome set. I purchased from Best Buy when it was released. The Best Buy version had an extra cd of songs. The fifth cd of songs is not included on the blu ray. The blu ray is great sound quality. All the extras are really nice too. One of the best executed box sets I have. I also purchased the 7 lp version at some point when they were a good deal, but never opened it, and sold it about 5 years later for a nice price. The Blu-ray/cd box is so nice, with all the extras, and being able to play all the songs on hi-res blu-ray...I just didn't need the vinyl (and that is saying something because I always want vinyl).

The MEZ and Clanceman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.