Cambridge Audio CXA60 arrived today

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike McMann, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean-François

Jean-François New Member

RockAddict Hello,

Yes your post was helpful to someone :). I hesitated for several weeks between CXA60 and PM6005. I considered some point the CXA80. Your post, written in June of last year, summarizes exactly what is written from that time on these 3 devices. I should get the CXA60 this week. Thank you for sharing your experience :)

RockAddict likes this.
  2. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I spent months looking to replace my Logitech Squeezebox. The CXN was high on my list also. My situation required a wireless capability to go from NAS to DAC to Preamp. I was put off by the majority of the reviews of the CXN software. I control via a tablet. I was able to get hold of a CXN and then bought a Bluesound Node2. Compared both on my system in my home and went with the BS. My preference. Sorry to go off topic.

3. Jean-François

Jean-François New Member

RiCat Hello,
    Thanks to open dialogue. I personally use a Sonos Connect for streaming and multiroom. I love the ease of use of Sonos. The weak point of Connect is the DAC, I'll use one of CXA60 which apparently is very good.

(Sorry for the spelling mistakes, English is not my language and I use Google Translate).

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Did your preference for the Bluesound stem from sound quality or operational issues?

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

For me it was a bit (small joke-which is in and of itself a play on the words) of both. To my ears and my wife's (she share the passion to listen to music) there was not such a difference to say one is way better than the other. Both playbacks were judged an improvement over the Squeeze. We did prefer the BS OS interface and this is still a factor in our choice. Also the BS is compatible with MQA and the CXN was not at the time of my comparing. It yet remains to be seen if MQA becomes important? I do not know if the CXN is now or will be compatible. So though this was not the deal maker the OS interface was. The BS for us fits better physically with the other gear. The BS was bought from Best Buy local and we preferred that. I have in the past had to contact Cambridge regarding a different product I bought that needed service. I was not pleased with the experience. I have used email, live chat and phone to contact BS. In each instance it was great support with follow up and accurate information. There is also a very active community forum for the BS products.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Spearit Audio sell the BS and I've always had good luck with them.

On advice of Jack I just bought an Android device to (eventually) use with the BS software.

7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I bought a inexpensive android tablet to use. Under $80 works perfectly. It has gotten me into ebooks as an alt. to driving the 20 miles to and from the lib.

8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Get a kindle paperwhite. The 'e-ink' screen has no glare AT ALL... just wonderful to read. Love the adjustable font.

bluemooze and shadowlord like this.
  9. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

I've been looking at the CXA-60. I currently own a Cambridge Audio A1 and a CXN Streamer which I love!

Is it worth me getting a CXA-60 when the CXN already has a quality DAC?

10. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe the CXA-60 has a single Wolfson 8740 chip DAC, where as the CXN has two of the Wolfson DAC chips.

11. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

So if you have a CXN you really want a good (old fashioned?) analogue amp to feed the signal?

12. Mike McMann

I'd have no issue hooking up the CXA-60 to the CXN at all. It is a very good analogue (warm) sounding amp to me.
    I wouldn't mind having a CXN in my mix with the 752BD Blu-ray player.
    Perhaps Brother_Rael is about and can chip in some advice.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. Markus72

Markus72 New Member

Hello !
    I've read so many positive reviews about CXA 60 that I'm thinking of buying it in replacement of my old AV ampli yamaha rx-v659, my speakers are a old couple of IndianaLine Arbour 5.02 + sub SVS SB1000, CD player marantz CD5003...external mp3/losless reader FIIO X3 2nd generation. I'd like to know a yours kind opinion about this my possible choice.
    Thank You !

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I've been a happy 752 user for a while now, though am in between moving house again so all the gear is packed away (and some of it sold on...!). Happy to recommend them at least to audition. Can always discount them later, but nice sounding gear IMO.

15. Mike McMann

I've had my CXA-60 for a couple of years now and have had no issues what so ever with this amp. I use it in combination with a 752BD blu-ray player for physical discs and also with a Mac Mini and Teac DAC connected to it for computer audio. It is an excellent sounding product to my ears and I would definitely recommend giving it an audition.

16. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I have one since a few months. I can't complain about anything. It gets pretty warm on the top though. Sounds great, but I have nothing to do an A/B test.

17. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Best of luck with Cambridge Audio, you will need it, I will never buy another Cambridge Audio product again.

HiFi Guy and Humbuster like this.
  18. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Their customer support have been very helpful for me in my journey into hi-res audio.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

They can be hard to reach but they've been very helpful and nice to me.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I auditioned the CXN but went with a Raspberry Pi as a streamer instead. For 1/10th the cost of the CXN and maybe an hour of my time, mostly downloading and flashing the OS, I have great sound. I use Linn Kazoo on an old IPad to control it. Works great.
    YMMV.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

As you constantly pitch. Played my 752 to death. Nary a blip.

Dan Steele and Mike McMann like this.
  22. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

I've just ordered a CXA-60 Amp. :)
    Can anyone help please?
    What's the best way to connect it to my fantastic CXN streamer?

23. Mike McMann

1. Found this on their site, has some good info that may be of help.
    2. What Is The Best Way To Connect Up My CXC, CXN And CXA, and what does the orange control bus cable do?

There isn't a right or wrong way to connect as the system is designed to give as much flexibility as possible. However, we've outlined our suggested way of connecting and using the system.

Preamplifier
    As you have an integrated amp (the CXA), we would usually recommend using this as the preamp, rather then the preamp built-in to the CXN. This means that you will have one master volume control (on the CXA), rather than having to balance two. For example, if you used the preamp in the CXN, you'd need to set the CXA volume to a certain point, then adjust volume on the CXN. There is no problem with doing this, but we think that having just the one volume control is more convenient
    Using the CXA for volume control, you can use the Cambridge Connect app to control the volume of the amplifier - see section on Control Bus below.

However, one advantage of using the preamp built into the CXN is that it gives you volume control from directly from the Spotify app and over Airplay, which is not possible if soley using the CXA for volume control.

Control Bus
    Control Bus is the orange cable supplied with the products. The Control Bus allows any compatible Cambridge products to synchronise when powering up the units. Using the CXA as the primary power controller, see the diagram below. When turning the CXA on/off, this will also turn the CXN and CXC on/off if desired.

[​IMG]

Another added feature with Control Bus is the use of the Cambridge Connect app. You can use the Cambridge Connect app to turn the CXN on/off, this will also turn the CXA on/off when Control Bus is connected. The app can also be used to control the volume of the CXA amplifier. Connect the CXN's 'Control Bus Out' to the CXA's 'Control Bus In', as pictured in the diagram above.

For this, you will also need to enable 'Control Bus Mode' in the app Settings - see images below. Now, any volume adjustments made in the app, with adjust the CXA volume, and you will see the CXA's volume knob move up/down.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Control Bus connections are further explained on pg10 of the CXA user manual here

Also, for information on the best way to connect up your CXC/CXN/CXA from a sound quality point of view, please see the FAQ here

Dan Steele and Tony Cruse like this.
  24. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I recently had issues with Cambridge customer service on a warranty repair.
    The issue was eventually resolved after many calls and emails and assistance from Sr. Management from the dealer.
    Certainly was not a pleasant experience.

25. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Thanks.
    And arrived today and all set up!

I have my CD player going into my CXN via an optical cable. And to be honest I can't tell the difference between that path and the CD direct to amp via regular connectors (I have it set up for both).

Nice sound from the amp...do amps have to wear-in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.