Help me find the right Kinks compiliaton

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone could suggest a good Kinks compilation for me, my requirements are that the following songs are included (in mono) and that the mastering is good.

You Really Got Me
    Sunny Afternoon
    Waterloo Sunset
    Victoria
    Shangri-La

Thanks

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Kinks File LP on Pye is quite good and the first 3 songs you mentioned are mono.

3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Can't be done. The Kinks need to be collected in full album form anyhow.

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Why do you want Victoria in mono? The 2 guitars cancel each other out and the track sounds flatter and less exciting than the stereo mix?

mpayan likes this.
  5. Jason Manley

You've got a point. I think the stereo is probably better on the Arthur tracks. Just doing some Amazon searching (Prime Day, after all!) how is The Essential Kinks viewed around here?

6. Adam9

A lot of the singles are not on the albums though.

7. Adam9

I believe it's viewed pretty favourably except that it doesn't contain Shangri-La and it has an inferior live version of Lola.

Edit: This is the one you need: https://www.amazon.com/Kinks-Ultima...681&sr=1-1&keywords=kinks+ultimate+collection

bhazen likes this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The mono Shangri-la is an abomination - and I say that as one who instinctively prefers mono.

That issue aside, the Kinks File mentioned earlier is the closest thing to a perfect Kinks comp you will likely find that fits your song list.

If you can omit "You Really Got Me", The Kink Kronikles is a terrific exploration of their most fertile period. Get that and a clean mono Reprise The Kinks' Greatest Hits and enjoy the best of both eras.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
    Revolver, john lennonist and chacha like this.
  9. Adam9

The fake stereo on side 4 ruins that one for me.

10. Jason Manley

I just noticed it was mastered by Vic Anesini. I saw that name I'm sold on that comp. I may go back and get a few proper album or two, specifically "Something Else". I'm deviating off topic on my own thread, but would you mind recommending the best available on CD of that? And what about the best cd of "Arthur"?

Thanks in advance.

bhazen and Luke The Drifter like this.
  11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's missing a few key tracks, IMO, and someone here told me it was mastered too loud. So I figured I might as well stick with Ultimate Collection, which is also loud but does have everything I consider essential.

Btw, as I understand it, Essential wasn't fully mastered by Anesini -- he just smoothed out someone else's mastering. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm almost certain that you won't get the Arthur tracks in mono on any compilation, but the stereo is much better anyway. So much so that the original UK Pye 45 of Victoria is in stereo, the only 60s one that is.

I highly recommend 2 compilations on Castle that came out in the early 90s. They have the Castle mastering which is much loved on this forum and sound great to me. They have all the hits but also some magnificent B-sides & album tracks that are rarely compiled. The CD's are:

The Kinks Story Vol. 1 1964-66 EUKCD 101

The Kinks Story Vol. 2 1967-71
    EUKCD 102

These are both long deleted but were budget releases in their day. They should be cheap and easy to find second hand. Waterloo Sunset is stereo though.

Willowman likes this.
  14. Adam9

Something Else is a bit problematic. I would go with the Deluxe Edition and get both mixes. The '98 Castle mono one sounds tinny. The PRT/original Castle (stereo) sounds good but has a couple of alternate mixes. The Reprise has a glitch on the first track. With Arthur, the Deluxe is fine also although the original PRT/Castle is more dynamic.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If you're considering vinyl, the new greatest hits LP was mastered by Kevin Gray and contains the following:

You Really Got Me
    Sunny Afternoon
    Waterloo Sunset
    Victoria (in stereo)

The LP was pressed at United, so there very well be QC issues. My copy was warped but played fine. SQ is the best I've ever heard these tracks on vinyl.

mpayan likes this.
  16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fake stereo? I don't recall. The mono sides sound great. It doesn't make sense that side 4 is fake stereo.

17. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

I've got Kronikles 24 track 2-cd set. It's suits me fine for a comp...along with Rhino's Greatest Hits comp. cd, 18 sweet mono tracks clocking in at 45 minutes for 60's tunes.

18. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Is it this one?
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Kinks-The-Best-Of-The-Kinks-1964-1970/release/8696046

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

21. Adam9

It doesn't but it is, unfortunately. More info in this thread to which you and I both contributed: Kink's File - PRT LP »

chacha likes this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I thought that was Bowie Nothing Has Changed. I do read some grumblings that it might be the case here. I'll listen to a few cuts and see as I didn't spend much time doing that when I bought it.

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, side 4 is in fake stereo, unfortunately. At least it was that way on my copy which I ended up selling.

25. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Close, but no cigar, Shangri-La or Well Respected Man (it wasn't a single in the UK), either.

Sounds like there are three versions of the same CD and that only one of them is the one to get.

The Kinks 'Hit Singles' U.K. PRT 1987 »

[​IMG]

and you just prompted me to order the deluxe 2CD version of Arthur.

Dave Hoos and mds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.