Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

One thing I found out on the C7030, the drawer was out one day and I hit it with my chair and it detached and fell to the floor.

I thought that was it for the deck.

I looked at the drawer though and did not see any signs of breaks, so I took it and pushed it back in and it just snaps into place, no damage done!

tmtomh, jriems, ddarch and 4 others like this.
  2. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just ordered one from Amazon for $159.00 and was curious if everyone still thinks highly of this little guy. I needed a new player for my patio system, because my trusty Kyocera is about on it's last leg.

3. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Anyone have any thoughts on how the Onkyo would compare (sound wise ) to my California Audio Labs DX1? The Cal is 25 yrs old.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I mostly use it as a transport into a separate DAC, for my Pre-emphasis discs, the analog out, I prefer it's analog (DAC) over my Oppo BDP-80 :cheers:

tmtomh likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I do, and just commented on a thread similar to your query yesterday, as did other owners.
    Here's the link:
    Any recommendations on a new cd player? »

tmtomh and jriems like this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Love it. I think you'll be pretty pleased.

7. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Been using mine regularly for three years, no issues. Sounds great.

8. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Gosh darn it... every time I see this thread pop up I mis-read the title as "Gentle Giant Killer...." :)

9. Mitsuman

I have to say, I'm very impressed with this little player, and for the price I'd say amazed. It sounds a lot more natural and open than the Kyocera it's replacing.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

People still listen to CDs? :hide:

11. Mitsuman

Apparently so. :shh:

basie-fan and tmtomh like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Same thing here. I hate to admit a budget player beat my long-standing rig, but it does.

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Occasionally, yes. I have one of these C-7030s myself, and have played probably 6 or 7 CDs on it so far this year. Comes in handy when I acquire new physical media and feel like listening to it right away, rather than ripping it to the server.

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

Yep, good luck finding these on vinyl
    [​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

My 7030 just died. I had it for 2 years. I have a few back up players. My Sony bluray and my Yamaha sacd dvd player.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That's discouraging. Sorry to hear this. Do you know what died on it, exactly?

17. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

It turns on but won't play anything.

18. c-eling

2 years next month on mine Jerry... :sigh:

Jerryb likes this.
  19. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I really loved it too. But I just hooked up my Yamaha and honestly it sounds just as good as the 7030. It's one of those Yamaha sacd players that was talked about here on the forum about 4 years or so ago selling for $35 new. I bought 2 at the time.

c-eling likes this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Bummer. Did you use it a lot? I've had mine on 24/7 for over 2 years now. Guess we'll see if this is an aberration or the norm as many folks are passing well over a year on theirs now.

:shake:

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  21. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I used it several hours a day.

22. c-eling

I mainly use mine for it's ability to read the sub-q channel on my pre-emphasis discs, if mine poops out not sure what I'm going to do, not many new players have that capibilty anymore

Jerryb likes this.
  23. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I just got back into town yesterday, so one of my to-do's were to check this lock-unlock code you used to unlock your C-7030.
    Well the good/bad news is the forward/on remote buttons on at the same time does not "lock" the player. So I called Onkyo support to try and get the whole story about this
    un-documented feature. Here is what Onkyo's customer service told me after about 15-20 minutes:
    There is no child lock/unlock function in the C-7030, and these are no remote codes to "lock the player. If the display shows "Locked" it means the tray will not open for one of various reasons. Example: A double stacked set of discs were accidentally inserted in the tray and closed, or one of other reasons the on-board microprocessor may lock up the functions of the player. They would not confirm or deny the "push the forward & on remote buttons at the same time" is a valid way to "Unlock" the player under these conditions. Only that if your C-7030 ever displays "Locked" the unit needs to be sent in for service. That's all I can recall from my phone conversation with Onkyo today.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Nah. Never. It has evolved from a purely auditory to a visual medium. What I mean is I put the CD in, but I don't turn the amp on, and I don't put on any headphones. I was the digital read out, e.g., (track 1, xxx seconds). A truly satisfying experience, and you don't have to worry about how sound files sound, compression, brickwalled, etc. Just watch the digital numbers . . .

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Fingers crossed Cory, fingers crossed!