Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I had push the forward button and the on button ON THE UNIT, not the remote, at the same time for a few seconds. This did work to unlock the drawer. The disc was loaded properly and played fine, the drawer wouldn't open after playing the disc. I am glad the people at Onkyo told me to call an authorized service center and not to send the unit in for service. My unit has been working fine ever since.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mine's still working fine, been on 24/7 for over 2 years now.

3. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I ordered a new 7030 from Crutchfield and it arrived today.First cd in the player skipped.This was a cd that never skipped before.I think I've had it with mail order electronics.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I get it...so now you have to call Crutchfield and deal with them, after that pack up the 7030 and take it to the shipper. Then...you wait.

Jerryb likes this.
  5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I called Crutchfield. I usually get great customer service from them. I told them I wanted to return the 7030 for a refund. That I didn't want to take a chance on another defective one. They told me it would be a $10 charge to return it even if it was defective.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Crutchfield are idiots as far as I'm concerned. Now it will cost you more $$$.

Jerryb likes this.
  7. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Crutchfield's excellent return policy (60 days & $10 return fee) dwarfs that of the majority of hi end mfgs. The $10 fee applies to gear approaching 5 figures & won't change the buyer's lifestyle.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

So you got a duffer. Switch it and try another. If that fails too, tell CF and tell them you're not prepared to be out of pocket for something you bought in good faith.

If they still insist on charging you $10, then pack it up, send it back and then hammer their Twitter and other social media platforms. Absolutely nail it to them. I gave up, a long time ago, of putting up with corporate crap and let them have it when there's a problem I get fobbed off with in the UK. Absolutely will not put up with it. And it's worked well so far.

Jerryb and Tullman like this.
  9. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Crutchfield sent me out a replacement 7030. It arrived an hour ago, It has a dent in the side of the unit!

10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow unbelievable! Sorry man.

Jerryb likes this.
  11. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

No more mail order electronics for me. 3x in less than 2 weeks I received defective audio gear.

12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I feel your pain a little bit. Years ago I ordered an Onkyo DX-7555 CD player from Amazon and had to return the first one I received. That sucks that its happened to you 3 times though I don't blame you for being pissed.

Jerryb likes this.
  13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

You have my sympathies, but hang in there the 7030 is a really great player, no doubt this bad luck streak will end.

Jerryb likes this.
  14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Well blow me down....

I just scored another C7030.

I got it for $134 from Accessories4less.

They are factory refurbs, which frankly I've found is a good thing as the equipment gets a close hands on inspection. I've bought several factory refurbs over the years and I've never been let down by getting one yet.

ONKYO C-7030 Compact Single Disc Player ยป

LOL, not even sure where I'll use this one but perhaps I'll finally pull my 1989 top of the line Sansui CDX 711 out of service from my office system.

It still works fine but it is fairly sensitive to vibrations for skipping, older players did have that issue moreso than newer ones.

I like the C 7030 enough that I'll just stash this new C7030 away if I don't pull the Sansui, in case the C7030 in my man cave gives up the ghost. I've used it heavily for over 2 and a half years now and I keep it and my
    Teac UD-H01 DAC turned on 24/7. I think they sound better that way.

I just couldn't pass it up at that price, I don't know of any other CD player available currently that is built this well and sounds this good for under $150.

Rodant Kapoor, Tullman and Thouston like this.
  15. Lester Best

My rule is to never buy a refurbished unit with moving parts.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

And why is that? I've never had an issue yet.

17. Brother_Rael

Complain like hell! :realmad:

18. Lester Best

It increases the odds of getting a problem unit. Usually the price difference between new & used isn't enough to justify the potential savings. YMMV

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The "refurbished" units are sometimes nothing more than returns. I have gone the refurbished route several times with good results.

ddarch likes this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've always got significant savings by going refurb, and again never had any issues. Have you?

21. Brother_Rael

I have. But most experience was Cambridge 840C refurbished from Richer Sounds and it had issues. Glad I sent it back as I acquired a much better Kenwood DP7090 this well which is an astoundingly good player.

22. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I bought my refurbished JVC XL-R5010BK CD recorder 14 years ago. With three playback trays and the recording tray it has plenty of moving parts. Never a problem.

23. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Yes, not every reburbished unit is trash. You can save some money. Some people like to save some cash and some people rather not save a couple bucks on the off chance it has issues. It's not a hard concept.

bruce2 likes this.
  24. Lester Best

Refurbs with moving parts are a No, No for me. YMMV

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My C-7030 factory refurb for $134 arrived today.

Perfect as factory new packaging with all accessories in a sealed bag as new, unit is 1000% spotless without a fingerprint or issue. The chassis is sealed with a refurb sticker stating 1 year warranty.

Plugged it in, working perfectly as expected.

I put in my Alan Parsons Mobile Fidelity tourture Test CD and put it on a 24 hour repeat.
    I'll let that run for 3 or 4 days, if the unit has any issues this surely will bring them out, and it'll perform a burn in at the same time.

I also plugged my new set of Tascam TH-300X headphones into it I recently got on blowout for $29 to break them in at the same time.

The headphones sound pretty amazing through the C7030's headphone output, if one were on a fairly tight budget these 2 items at $163 total would give a real taste of entry high end digital sound on a shoestring budget IMO.

jdjones, jriems, c-eling and 4 others like this.