James Bond 25 - Speculation and Anticipation Thread*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

4. PH416156 likes this.
  5. alexpop

At least his surname fits. :)

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Theo James Bond? :laugh:

7. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

maybe they should take a hint from x-men and do time travel back to the 60s.

8. alexpop

Not been officially confirmed.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Or take a hint from Marvel and reveal Bond has been working for Spectre all along.

keefer1970 likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I can’t say I’ve tired of him, or the last few movies themselves. But then again, I prefer the old campy comedy Sean Connery Bonds.. Now I find them too serious!

11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Playing the Kray twins was more suitable for him. He lacks the sophistication to play Bond.

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Other possibilities:
    • The "Bond" we've been following all this time is actually a clone of the real Bond, who has been living in Europe.
    • James Bond was killed early in his career and replaced by an alien shapeshifter.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Not duds financially. SPECTRE made $880 million worldwide, and Skyfall made $1.109 billion. You can make the argument that they had higher expectations for SPECTRE, since it cost close to $300M, but it certainly wasn't a dud. I thought both were uneven from a critical point of view, but neither was terrible. It's fair to say they got mixed reviews, but more positive than negative.

mark renard and GentleSenator like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think your criticisms are interesting but misguided. Peter Hunt never did another major film after 1971, and if anything, did mainly TV after that time. Richard Maibaum's last Bond film was Licence to Kill back in 1989 (when he was 80), so I don't think you can count on either of them to do any more Bond work in the 1990s and 2000s. I think most of the Bond films of the 1970s and 1980s veered all over the map in terms of being weird and uneven; they each had moments of interest, but I think when they start spiraling into self-parody, you kinda have to question what they're doing.

I would agree that the films are at a crossroads. They managed to survive with new casting, plus by going into a new, more serious direction. But because they have the competition today from a thousand other films -- from Mission:Impossible, from the Bourne movies, even from Fast & Furious -- the chances of the producers rebooting the Bond franchise in a way that can still be fresh and competitive are very iffy. The fact that they continue to push the budget into the stratosphere is not necessarily a good thing; one of the leaked Sony Pictures memos from 2 years ago were furious complaints that the budget for SPECTRE had jumped from $220M-$250M, and because the ending had to be rewritten right before production, they estimated it would wind up at $300M. Nobody from the Peter Hunt/Broccoli era would have permitted the films to get anywhere near this level.

Note also that Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson are getting up there in age. My observation is that coming up with story ideas and producing movies on this scale is a young man's game, and they may need to hand off the baton to younger people. The films over the last 25 years have varied wildly in terms of tone and mood and seriousness, and it's particularly obvious when you watch them in a short period of time. I think one difference between the films made in the 1960s and the films made today is they're more disposable today, plus I think the Bond films back then were kind of made to stand alone. Now, they're painfully aware they have to up the ante in terms of stunts and action, so you look on them mainly in how they relate to competing films... as well as to each other.

Humbuster and davenav like this.
  15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Dont know how much it matters but they hsve had to replace Q and moneypenny and a different M.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Huh? Do you mean they've replaced them for an as yet unannounced future film? :confused:

17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not sure what you're trying to say.

They've replaced Bond multiple times.

And they've replaced Felix Leiter, M, Q, Moneypenny, Blofeld, etc. Pretty much all of the recurring characters.

18. alexpop

Looks to be getting a female director thats a first.

19. alexpop

If tbe past 2 Bond movies made billions, why can't they afford a decent actor. If they get a new guy he'll be payed chump change.

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

He may not have done anything "major" on the scale of a Bond film, but he was still directing notable films with big-name stars..... Shout at the Devil (1976) with Roger Moore & Lee Marvin; Death Hunt (1981) and Assassination (1987), both starring Charles Bronson... just to name a few.

21. alexpop

Bond is My World.
    Anybody read Roger Moore's book?

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Right. Gold from 1974 is a solid film too.

Humbuster likes this.
  23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Michael Fassbender or Henry Cavill if they have to replace Craig.

melstapler likes this.
  24. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

maybe they should have used the original ending,the one they used was bad

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

they need a new writing team first ,then they can pick a new Bond ,get rid of the title design guy too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.