Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Thirteen was reissued on vinyl a couple of years ago..I found it in a shop new for $17.99.
    https://www.discogs.com/Teenage-Fanclub-Thirteen/release/6662496

Man at C&A and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  2. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Just a note for fans: the Japanese version of this album was reissued with most of the tracks from the EP as bonus material and, to my ears, a more dynamic mastering.

Lightworker and Guy E like this.
  3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I was exactly the same, but this album has steadily improved over the years, like a fine wine. It's by far the most low-key thing they ever released, but the songs are really great once they let you crawl inside them. 'The Fall' is ecstatically beautiful. And I know this is the kind of thing a lot of people don't want to hear, but one of the bonus tracks on the Japanese CD, 'Dark and Lonely', is nearly as good. (The other bonus track, 'Secret Heart', also came out on the b-side of the album's only single, but I don't know if this song has ever appeared anywhere else.) Fortunately, it's on YouTube - kind of like Fairport Convention meets Neu!:

4. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I prefer their uptempo material with janglier guitars so my interest waned quickly after Howdy! and I sold Man-Made within six months of purchase.

Grand Prix and Songs From Northern Britain remain the gold standard for me.

dlemaudit likes this.
  5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Interesting. I always thought of SFNB as a dull album and never purchased a copy for myself. Maybe my memory is totally incorrect. You really put it up there with Grand Prix?

Lightworker likes this.
  6. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I've always listened to them as companion pieces (perhaps because of Paul Quinn?), but I would hasten to add that I was late to the game - I started listening to TF with any regularity around 1998. Before then, I was only familiar with "The Concept," "What You Do To Me," "Metal Baby," and "Hang On."

I've also come to like Thirteen a lot more over the years, particularly "Escher," "The Cabbage," and "Gene Clark."

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm love Teenage Fanclub and would rate Songs From Northern Britain as almost as good as Grand Prix. I do see them as companion albums. I also noticed somebody in this thread saying they found Man Made dull, but that's another one of my favourites.

8. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

It’s All In My Mind, from Man Made, is probably my favorite Norman Blake song.

DCW, trumpet sounds, kouzie and 3 others like this.
  9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Man-Made" is great to my ears but it may not be as immediate as their early/90s albums. The arrangements and stuff is a little more complex and layered maybe. The more you listen the better it gets. One can possibly say the same about "Howdy!" and "Shadows"? I'm very excited by the new album and Teenage Fanclub is a band I've never lost sight of, even if six years has passed since their latest.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Teenage Fanclub know how to start an album well.

11. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Yes, I totally agree. I finally found a copy of the 7" earlier this year. Stunning track. Should have been a lead single from an album rather than tucked away as one of two new tracks on a compilation.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A favourite of mine too. I can't believe they just about buried it. I have that 45 too. I think they only pressed 500 copies of it. It's definitely one of their rarest.

13. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Yep, I prefer "A Catholic Education" to "Bandwagonesque". "Grand Prix" is my favorite of their 90s albums. I've never been such a fan of Bandwagon. I enjoy it of course but it's 'just another' album in their discography to me.

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

one of three.

15. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Anyone have any idea if they will do any US tour since Merge is releasing the LP here and pushing it hard? I REALLY hope so!

hutlock likes this.
  16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Me too. Finally saw them on the Shadows tour and it was a complete and total dream come true. Would see them again in a heartbeat.

17. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

definitely !!!!

TheWarmth and Man at C&A like this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Love Teenage Fanclub! My favs are Thirteen along with Songs from Northern Britain for no particular reason other than they seem to resonate with me.

Fans seem to be clamoring for more great TFC music but it has been pointed out that you can certainly scratch that itch by exploring other bands from that scene, many of which are cross-pollenated to a certain extent. BMX Bandits is a treasure trove to explore. Never saw TFC live but I had a chance to see BMX back in their heyday, a perk of writing for a Pop publication back in the day. Another one to look for is Superstar whose protagonist Joe McAlinden produced some of the most amazing pure pop the 90's had to offer. A Discogs search reveals his credits with TFC. There are a few but less than I thought there'd be.

To my surprise, I tripped into McAlinden's newest project, creatively titled "Linden". Listening to the vinyl of their second album right now for the first time which can be had for $8.84 shipped on Amazon/importCDs...

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Rest And Be Thankful (LP) »

This is a slice of pure Superstar-esque bliss. It doesn't quite reach Superstar's heights but regardless, cannot recommend this enough for fans of this scene.

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

US dates have been announced!
    New video, plus USA & Canada live dates Oct 2016. | Teenage Fanclub »

New video, plus USA & Canada live dates Oct 2016.
    2016 July 28
    by admin
    In the second half of October we’ll be playing some shows in Canada and USA. On this particular trip we won’t be making it any further west than Minneapolis. Here are the dates and ticket links:

October 2016

12 – Toronto: Lee’s Palace
    14 – Washington, DC: 9:30 Club
    15 – New York, NY: Bowery Ballroom
    16 – Brooklyn, NY: Music Hall of Williamsburg
    17 – Boston, MA: The Sinclair
    18 – Philadelphia, PA: World Cafe Live
    20 – Cleveland, OH: Beachland Ballroom
    21 – Chicago, IL: Bottom Lounge
    22 – Minneapolis, MN: Fine Line
    23 – Madison, WI: High Noon
    25 – Detroit, MI: Loving Touch

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  20. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Listening to Songs From Northern Britain now and I'm super embarrassed that I suggested that this album is dull. I looked it up on Discogs and it seems rare on vinyl and way too expensive for me. Guess I'll wait for a reissue.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great isn't it? A lot of Teenage Fanclub's best music grows on you. There's a few of my favourite Fanclub songs that didn't do much for me at first.

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Cleveland Date on the upcoming tour has just MADE MY DAY!!!! AWESOME!!!!

23. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Love this album and only last month took the plunge on a NM vinyl copy.

New album is coming and available on PO signed here -

Here: Signed Clear Vinyl »

24. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

If I was to rate their studio albums so far It'll be like this, I think. At least for now. I like them all. :)

Grand Prix
    Shadows
    A Catholic Education
    Songs From Northern Britain
    Man-Made
    Howdy!
    Thirteen
    Bandwagonesque
    The King
    Words of Wisdom and Hope

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Indeed they do.

trumpet sounds and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.