Robin Williams RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hutlock, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Because when I think Robin Williams, I think of his Mork And Mindy suspenders....

Okay I guess that makes a little more sense now, but geez...

CrazyCatz and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The rainbow color scheme has always been there. It was on the opening of the tunnel before Robin Williams' passing.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Here's a very emotional Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal remembering Robin about six weeks after his death.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If anyone wants to see the comedic genius of Robin, there will be a Mork and Mindy marathon from 1 PM to 10 PM EST today on Antenna TV.

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

What a totally devastating loss . . .:cry:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Good video. Thanks for posting it.

AKA likes this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

9. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I grew up in Marin and remember when the rainbows first appeared, in the late 1960's. The story became a local legend. Apparently a Caltrans exec who was about to retire came up with the scheme and ordered the rainbows to be painted without really going through proper channels. There was an uproar among his superiors but Marinites loved it, feeling it was quite appropriate (welcome to magical Marin) and appreciating the maverick element behind them.

At the time it was a favorite story in the local papers (and at our dinner table at home).

The rainbows and the back story have remained a source of local pride and they have been re-painted at least once or twice over the years.

I'm glad the tunnels have been re-named in Robin Williams honor, it feels right to me.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Hard to believe it's been three years since his passing.

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Still miss him

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Three years later, this clip is still a kick in the gut: Conan's shell-shocked expression, the audible gasps from audience members finding out for the first time, Conan, Andy and Will Arnett struggling for words.

You can feel the air leaving that studio.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Geez, 3 years ago already. Man, time flies by. I watched Awakenings not too long ago. A great talent. RIP

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nice. To me, he was one of the few comedic actors who could act in a drama and make it work and then some

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

smart of him to have a beard when he made Good Will Hunting. It just helps you to subliminally separate his comic persona from what you were seeing on the screen. It makes him so much easier to accept in the role.
    I admit, that while I liked him in the role, it was hard at times to accept him in Garp cause my brain just kept saying 'that's the loony guy from Mork'.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The genius of Robin Williams is that he was great when he turned it up to 11 but he was also great when he dialed it back down to a 2 when the script or scene called for it. There are very few actors who are great at both levels.

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

So much of Robin's brilliance was manifested in his "stream-of-(random?)-consciousness" rapid-fire material. I just watched a video tonight which shows how well Robin can develop a "thought experiment --- in this case about the human body (specifically genitalia) being designed by committee. Really funny:

MikaelaArsenault and John54 like this.
  19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Robin is so missed! Here he is in 1987 on Johnny Carson. He is so free-wheeling, stream-of-consciousness type approach to humor, it's just amazing (and so sad that he became depressed in later life and committed suicide):

Moshe and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Great actor with wonderful energy. Nothing he did ever actually made me laugh; I didn't find him funny, but he was definitely entertaining (and sometimes exhausting ;))

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

One of the bonus features of the movie The Aristocrats is 10 minutes or so of a film crew walking down a Malibu beach, filming Robin while he goes into free association mode. I wept laughter tears and had to pause the dvd once. I wish I could link to it on youtube, but I've never seen it on the net.

22. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

It had nothing to do with depression, it had to with Lewy Body Dementia.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I think he'll always remembered with Good Morning,Vietnam.

24. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I'm so glad this thread was drug up again, I recently saw a repeat of the Tyler Henry show with Margaret Cho,

It really doesn't make much sense, so little was said from Robin but, if you think about it, that was soooo him! As mentioned his biggest influence was Johnathan Winters. They shared the same craziness in improv. Look at the way Robin's eyes and facial features match with his...it's spooky. I don't think it was copying, it was just how he was and they were mirrors of something very special we all have in us, maniacs, fun loving freaks! :wave:, and we're all the better from having that in our lives :tiphat:

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hate those terrible, awful people ("Psychics" and "Mediums") with a passion!

They have no ethics, and no morals and are the worst kind of manipulative bastards out there- preying on the gullible, the stupid, the vulnerable, and the weak all in the name of making a quick buck from desperate people who are looking for comfort.

Robin Williams is dead. He is not "communicating" with or through anybody in any way, whatsoever. The same goes for your dead family members and friends.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to scam you out of money and / or get you to buy their book/product/"reading", etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.