Is rock out of the conversation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pathosdrama, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is rock relevant anymore?

These times go so fast that I'm surprised to ask myself this question, but it's indeed happening.

I'm listening a lot to Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool, the more I listen to it the more I love it.
    I can't help but think, though, that it's the only real important "rock" album of 2016. This, and another great album like Blackstar.

But, Radiohead are almost in their 50s and Bowie was 69. What about young bands? Yes, the indie scene is still vibrant but none of those musicians have a real impact nowadays and too many times I find myself to listen to a praised indie band and think there's nothing new to write about. And brilliant albums go in very different directions: the new Wild Beasts' album, Boy King, is very good but can it be even defined "rock" at this point? Just an example, obviously.

Thoughts?

2. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I still talk about it a lot.

3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Never been an all out rocker, most of my favorite artists are more like a melting pot of styles but I miss more rock bands nowadays. Especially rock with roll. I guess being a rocker and a computer geek at once don't mix very well.

4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Must we go there yet again ? I'm sure that the intentions of this thread are sincere but this will just mutate into a Peter Pyle-on about the shortcomings of contemporary rock before page two, run about 10-15 pages full of drive-by snark vs. impassioned but futile defenses of music made after Presence and then get folded up and locked down by a Gort after people start losing their sh!t. Like clockwork.

There. I've just saved us all some bandwidth. You're welcome.

D.D.

5. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

These things come and go in waves, look at the first half of the 90s vs the second half of the 90s. It was nothing but grunge, then nothing but Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys and Nsync... Pop has been enjoying an extended revival, probably because it lends itself better to shuffling/streaming/single downloads. But that's only if you're looking at Billboard and nowhere else. Plenty of great rock bands still releasing albums. They're just not selling like The Weeknd or Ariana Grande, so you don't hear about them as much.

Like @the sands said, I appreciate the melting pot style, and a lot of the throwback style found in recent "popular" recordings. I love that Tegan and Sara sound like 80s pop, I love that The Weeknd sounds like Michael Jackson in his prime on most of his tracks, etc.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Just like all the other "rock is dead" threads?

7. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I've always felt rock music will find it's way like classical music has from centuries gone by. It will always be performed and listened to, it just won't command as strong a world wide audience it enjoyed during the '50's til now.

8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

These guys certainly hope not!

[​IMG]

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

My kid listens to rock bands all the time. Are they my cup of tea? No, but it's rock music with guitars, bass and drums. It's not really my turn now is it? I prefer old crap.

10. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

"Like clockwork", now that's a great rock album! :)

11. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

"Conversation?" Are you, sir, or have you ever been, a member of the Pundit Party?

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Still rockin' !!

[​IMG]

TEKWRX, stay crunchy and four sticks like this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

just admit you're old, not interested in finding new rock, and move on. yes, it's still out there. the heart of rock and roll is still beating.

crispi, Frosst, Kirk781 and 14 others like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's not all that "fashionable" any more. It's not really socially relevant like it used to be. I suppose it's gone more "underground" which is a good thing in a way as it give bands a little more mystique (and there are plenty of them out there).
    Music itself isn't as relevant as it used to be and people are more interested in social media, TV series and movies (as downloads - legal or otherwise) and forums! I think I spend more time on here than I do actually listening to music (well, Art Tatum is tinkling away as I write:)).

15. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Rock isn't dead, however the 'conversation' may be conducted in a different language:

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I like Cage The Elephant. They still rock.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Kirk781, Beet and levi like this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Guitar Bands are on their way out! (Decca records quote, regarding not signing the Beatles)

18. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

Yeah, @pathosdrama's premise is wrong, you just need to try a little harder, rock is still vibrant and relevant. For example, The New Yorker recently did a feature on a newer artist named Mitski, who is pretty damn good, and may remind you of Radiohead when Radiohead still played rock music. She also has a thread devoted to her on this forum. You can watch a video below. The point is, when major mainstream publications write multipage articles about a rock artist, rock is still very much "in the conversation," even if it isn't dominating the charts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Bowieboy and michaelscrutchin like this.
  19. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

You probably misunderstood my words. I look for new music all the time.
    It's just that rock isn't interesting, most often.

20. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

I don't know....
    whenever I hear a band doing "rock" it just sounds so cheezy now.

Monster Truck , The Sheepdogs etc.
    sound like a real "throwback" to days of yore.

It isn't fashionable ,that's true, but there are soooo many genres and sub-genres and music is compartmentalized so much now that I don't even know what rock is anymore.

21. jawaka1000

Rock is not dead, it just smells funny.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's still in the conversation, but it's just not nearly as central as it once was. Nothing stays on top forever. Now, EDM, hip hop, and (new) country are more significant though these forms often reflect rock's influence.

JohnnyQuest and lightbulb like this.
  23. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Rock has run its course. Rock and playing in bands is something men over 40 do. But they don't stay out past 10:30. Rock has been a museum piece since Nirvana ended the rock era. With the rise of rap, the superstar DJ, and domination of the smartphone/social media, rock has been marginalized to a niche entertainment for old men and young nerds. It was a fun ride tho.

24. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Absolutely ! I mean, without rock, what the hell are ya gonna build a house outta ? Wood ? That's just crazy talk ...

D.D.

daveidmarx likes this.
  25. jawaka1000

Right.
    Rock is the new Jazz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.