Do you go record hunting while you are on a trip?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by silvina, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silvina

silvina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought one of my first CDs -Pearl Jam's Ten- while visiting a mall in the city of Curitiba, during a trip to Brazil, aged 15. That was my first experience of buying CDs abroad.
    11 years passed until my next experience. Last year, while I was planning a trip to the US, I did some research and found the adresses of several record stores in Manhattan. Once we were in New York City, one day, my mum and I walked around the área, but couldn't find any apart from Barnes And Noble, of course, and when I was there I asked the sales assistant for a few records, and he showed no interest in helping me at all. The only álbum I could find was Introspective, by the Pet Shop Boys.
    Then I went to Best Buy, which was even worse. I couldn't find anything. I also went to a store in a subway station. I had no luck, again. That was the end of my record hunting in New York.
    Once we left New York, and we were in Virginia visiting some relatives, my mum advised me to créate an Amazon account and buy what I wanted to buy there. So, in 10 minutes, I had bought 17 CDs.

2. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

If I pass a record store, I'll go in. But other than that, what are the odds of finding something that eBay/Amazon doesn't have? When I was in Liverpool, I wasn't looking at Beatles records, I was looking at Beatles houses. I hear people recommend tourists go to Amoeba in Hollywood. I don't understand why exactly, there's nothing there that's too spectacular/fairly priced. If you're in LA don't spend hours looking through Amoeba, spend hours checking out the most beautiful women in the world. Go to Santa Monica, Griffith Park, or Venice.

3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Yes. Before I go over to the US or Canada I'll do online searches for record stores in the areas I'll be visiting. Even after doing that, I sometimes come across one out of the blue while wandering around, or that I'll spot from a bus. I even came across a used record store in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island!

Was with friends in San Francisco when we came across a sidewalk sale - I'd never heard of them before - and I got Richard Harris' first two lps. In Buffalo NY last year I found Revolver Records by pure accident. The guy running it is open 5 days a week and he puts his stalls up in 5 different places in Buffalo each week.

[​IMG]

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

5. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I try not to plan my vacations around record stores and the like, but yes, if i'm near a place that has records, I'll take a look.

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yes.

7. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I never pass up the opportunity if I have time, however there seem to be less bargains out there. I used to get many great finds in charity shops and car boot sales but find diminishing teturns as time progresses.

8. chodad

chodad Hodad

All the time.

e.s., MikaelaArsenault, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  9. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Yes, while my wife shops for whatever she wants, I'll go hit the record stores if they're in close proximity. It's only been the last two or three trips that I've come home empty-handed. One trip to Canada, I insisted we go to Chilliwack just because of the band named after the town.

MikaelaArsenault and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I always try to, yeah. Chicago has great record stores, but also a ton of fellow record hunters, so I often find things elsewhere that would be difficult to find here.

MikaelaArsenault and live evil like this.
  11. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Sure! That's what I did on a trip to Phoenix, a couple of weeks ago. I hit a few places, and came home with some good vinyl.

12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yep. I travel to the US quite a bit and find stuff that I have never found locally. Often for less even with the exchange rate.

My avatar was taken with family at the Glass House record store in Pomona, CA in 2015.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    MikaelaArsenault and AlienRendel like this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's my feeling as well.

Was in Pittsburgh earlier this weekend, as an example. Managed to make a quick trip to Jerry's Records (which I've heard about here on the forum and elsewhere) since it was very close to where I was. It was a quick drive-by but of course I managed to grab two things I've been looking for. :thumbsup:

JDeanB, ODShowtime, BunnyBoy and 3 others like this.
  14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Yes! In fact, when I was in Manhattan 4 years ago we went to a record store in lower Manhattan near Washington Sq. park (I can't remember the name), where I picked up a Harmonium album and a Planxty album. 2 groups you just don't see laying around most shops. The following year we were in Knoxville TN. and we went to Lost and Found records and I grabbed a whole bunch of John Martyn and other English folk lps.

AlmostHeavenWV and zphage like this.
  15. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I'm visiting London right now and have visited Sister Ray, Reckless, and Flashback, along with seeing friends, going to pubs, the usual! Tomorrow's supposed to rain so my day in Brighton will likely include more record stores. I love going music shopping when I travel.

16. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I always do! In answer to the above, you get to find stuff in small places where the owner has no desire to input his stock into a computer. Old-fashioned selling may only be for the brave...

Gardo and showtaper like this.
  17. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

What's the use of travelling otherwise?! :crazy:

:biglaugh:

JDeanB, Man at C&A, sjaca and 14 others like this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Hell yes! Records and beer.

Gardo, Daddy Dom, The Killer and 8 others like this.
  19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Gardo and Yost like this.
  21. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

That's the reason I go on trips!

22. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

My eye is keenly sharpened for record stores. Just the same if I go into a thrift shop or flea market, I can spot 'em a mile away. So if ya see me a comin' step aside!

Ludger, Tjazz and AlienRendel like this.
  23. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

It's one of my favorite things to do. I had really good luck in Vegas.

24. silvina

silvina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I rememeber being with my aunt, who was traveling with us, at the apartment we were renting in Manhattan, after my negative experience at Barnes & Noble, and she asked to me: Albums?, Why would you want to buy albumst?. And my mum replied: She's always been a music fan!. So, it's obvious that my aunt doesen't feel the same way about music as I do.

AlienRendel likes this.
  25. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Always!

Sick Sick Phil and Gavinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.