"Batman" (Adam West TV show) on DVD Update

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John DeAngelis, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No, not a U.S. thing but rather a browser configuration thing. If I click the link for the Batman set on a pc that has the Ghostery add-on to Chrome, I get taken to the Italy Amazon site. Clicking it on another computer without Ghostery and I get redirected to the same product on Amazon's US website.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

No matter what browser or computer I use it takes me to the US store unless I paste the URL into the field. I assume that this is to direct referral revenue to the Hoffman forums using the ID "viglink20252-20". I don't really have a problem with that, though it is a pain when chasing deals at non-US Amazon sites.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Please may 2016 offer up a chance "The Green Hornet" TV series come out on DVD/Blu-ray eventually!

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Interesting, you're in Chicago, and that's where, in 1966, I watched The Hornet myself. ( 7-8 yrs. old)

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Ugh. Bad DVDs are still out there! Ordered Batman: The Complete Series on DVD directly from Amazon this past week. Received the set yesterday, popped in the first DVD to watch the first episode - where is William Dozier's narration?! So instead of sitting back watching an episode, I pulled out the DVD with 'Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds' episode, went to the end - sure enough, the cooking class scene is missing.

I waited to buy this set because of the issues with some episodes. I really thought that by now - July, 2016 - these sets would be fine.

I found the link to send in the UPC code - I'm hoping the UPC I sent is correct. It was on the loose piece of cardboard that was on the back of the set - I didn't see any other UPC code. Is this the correct one?

Here's the replacement disc link I found - so check your sets.
    Media Replacement Program »

What has been the turnaround for getting replacement discs?

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

That is the correct site to ask for replacement discs. From what I have gathered from other websites people get their replacements pretty quickly.

Hard Panner likes this.
  7. Hard Panner

That is good to hear. I'm still baffled as to why these bad DVDs are still out there.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

9. Hard Panner

Haha! Tell me about it!

Scope J likes this.
  10. Studios aren't going to pulp manufactured sets for an error like that. They'll let the average, unsuspecting fan live with the mistakes and instead create a replacement program for dedicated fans.

Hard Panner likes this.
  11. Hard Panner

Another thing about the Batman: The Complete Series on DVD - I was surprised by the DVD menus and how plain they look. This isn't a big deal to me as I'd rather have non-animated and silent menus on all DVDs, but the Batman menus are so plain they look homemade. If I hadn't have bought directly from Amazon, I would have thought I accidentally bought a boot/pirate copy. Are the Blu-Ray menus like this too?

12. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

13. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Weird how US Amazon charges so much more for it. Not suggesting it's anything nefarious, just computer algorithms and such. But still interesting to wonder how these conclusions (and prices) are determined.

15. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I wonder about that as well, but have no clue. But practices like these make bargain-hunting online a truly global affair. It's sometimes difficult to navigate given my lack of languages other than English, but thankfully experience w/ Amazon makes it easier, since the format and buttons are the same.

Right now am.it also has the best price for the new Floyd mega-boxset.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yeah, I'm looking for an amazing price on that PF box too.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My Sopranos Blu ray box remains my favorite example. By buying from Amazon UK, I saved a considerable amount of cash, AND received it months sooner than the American release !

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Those very basic Warners DVD menus are pretty standard nowadays. I have a few Blu-ray/DVD combos (kids animation titles, etc), and the DVDs have these simple, text-only menus, which the Blu's have fancier menus. And no, the Batman Blu-ray menus are not as plain as the DVD menus are. (But they aren't elaborate, either).

Hard Panner likes this.
  19. Hard Panner

Thanks for letting me know. I really was surprised by how plain they were and looked for screencaps of the menus online, but to no avail. I'm no fan of elaborate animated menus, but this is a little extreme. I'm sure they could have hired a Batman fan to make DVD menus for the sets - and maybe have that same Batman fan look over the shows before shipping them out with the errors - I mean, come on! How do you miss William Dozier's narration on the very first Batman episode?!?!

20. Hard Panner

Following up: Received replacement discs from Warner Bros in the mail yesterday, so it took just about a month to get them. The discs have the corrected episodes and it is nice to have the additional content on the first DVD. Started a mini-Batmarathon last night. I'm happy!

21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Does anyone know if this missing narration issue affects the download version available from stores such as iTunes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.