What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Expected to come out as a Criterion bluray, hopefully before the end of the year. It's probably my most-often watched Cage film. (Yes, even more than 'Wild At Heart' or 'Adaptation'!)

lightbulb likes this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

With a documentary on the making of Leaving Las Vegas, it'll be interesting how much they'll focus on the the novelist's tragic story.

[!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!]
    But honestly, I cringe at the thought of endless deleted cut scenes depicting the (mostly self inflicted misery) of the protagonists.
    "Hey Cage, you need to slur your dialog more! You sound too peppy today! Think of dead kittens!"

But, I guess a plot twist wherein they fall madly in love, more supportive of each other's delicate existence would have been universally panned as unrealistic. And the movie would've bombed.

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not unrealistic, necessarily. Just unecessary. There's already plenty of movies where the love of a good woman turns someone around and leads to a happy ending. This is a film where the protagonist makes a conscious decision to drink himself to death and (spoiler alert) that's exactly what he does. A man with a goal in act one who doesn't let anything that happens in acts two and three distract him from achieving success in the final act.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think there's a difference between citing a movie you didn't like - or maybe even just a type of movie you don't enjoy and the "worst film you ever saw."

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That bridge got blowed up a looong time ago - probably page 1! :D

Edit: I looked at page one of PART ONE - and saw someone pick "Blade Runner".

So yeah - I was right! :)

6. Maniacon \m/

Maniacon \m/ Forum Resident

Plenty of movies not my style that I watched because the wife or somebody, but the one that stands out as 'my' pick that really sucked was 'Nacho Libre' with Jack Black. Not at all funny, just plain boring.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

This thread reminds me at times of films which get booed at Cannes - Antichrist and The Neon Demon come to mind. However, if someone thinks Blade Runner is the worst film ever, then so be it.

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Ok, I posted a couple of stinkers already, but now I've seen the worst movie ever made.

Manos: The Hands of Fate. The director made the film because he made a bet that he could pull it off. He didn't.

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Anything directed by Lars Von Trier.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yes, I should just accept this and go with the flow.

I guess I should also just ignore the many single sentence "anything by ______" and "anything starring ______" posts.

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I tried watching Eraserhead for the first time yesterday, I hated it. Got as far as the meeting with the parents and bailed out.

Fullbug and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the Counselor 2013 Boy did I hate the idea of this thing

Drifter likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

"Eraserhead" at least manages to be memorable visually, but I don't think it's a good movie.

Honestly, Lynch just doesn't do it for me. I always think his "creepy weirdo" stuff feels self-conscious, like he's thinking too hard about how he can be "quirky"...

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It definitely has that "weird/unsettling" vibe down pat, 5 stars for setting a mood but the rest of it feels like elitist film school bs that's trying too hard to appeal to a certain crowd, I felt the same way about A Clockwork Orange and a few other films of that ilk from that era.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the reviews from critics and fans back you up....35% Critics, 23% from fans on RT

16. Oatsdad

Ooh, you lost me there! I think "Clockwork" is a terrific film!

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  17. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

18. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

This Is The End - The movie should be titled " This Is The End Of Their Careers" - Seth Rogen, James Franco, and the other idiots are neither interesting nor funny
    This self indulgent egocentric pile of steaming horse manure is not worth anyone's time.

I see Seth Rogen's career path has progressed to beer commercials; maybe game shows then carnivals are in his future.

slovell, milankey and lightbulb like this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I understand there's a distinction between one's personal preference for an enjoyable movie versus a universally critically acclaimed film that has artistic and other merits.

However, prior to posting any comments in any of these threads, I try to discern exactly what the OP is outlining as their main topic - before I give my 2 shekels.

This one goes way back to Oct 2008, posted by "dreamwhip":
    "I am not talking about [a film] which is watchable if only for novelty or humor, but a truly bad film, that should have been much better, and makes one cringe when they watch it. One that makes you wish you had the two hours spent watching it back."

Dreamwhip then cites a movie that was "...complete torture! Like nails on a chalkboard. ....I had to stop watching, it was just terrible."

So, using that initial post as the blueprint for my post, I realized that seeing "Leaving Las Vegas" evoked similar feelings for me. All the benchmarks he outlined that would be applicable for his "Worst Film" status, reminded me of those 2 long hours in the theatre.
    "Cringe, torture, chalkboard nails, 120 precious minutes enjoying life down the drain..."

So, although other posters may wish to critique other posts because they themselves believe some films are exempt from "Worst Film status", I think this thread is open ended. All bets are off. Everyone doesn't love Ice Cream Sundaes nor Root Beer Floats.

I realize it's a big world, and welcome hearing others' thoughtful opinions and in depth critiques of some potentially sacred cinema cows.

I understand that a cinema masterpiece like Citizen Kane may be a boring sludge of gruel to another. I'm actually interested to know why they think so.
    So, please, no Hit and Run Posts. Speak your mind.

[For the record, I loved Blade Runner (both original and directors' cut), and would have gladly swapped it with the Cage-Shue downward spiral in a snap.]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  20. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

This. The concept is right out of the Zucker Bros. Airplane! school of disaster-epic parody. The joke's pretty played out at this point, but the first Sharknado was a gut-buster. That people thought it was a straight disaster flick just adds to the humor.

21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The Room is a cult classic at this point because it is so bad, in every way a movie can be bad, from script to direction to acting...and yet Tommy Wiseau seems to think it's a great work of art. Or maybe he's been in on it all along? I just know it's a crapton of fun.

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I forgot all about The Room. I always had a feeling it was all an elaborate joke. And meme generator.

23. Oatsdad

"This Is the End" came out 3 years ago. In the interim, Rogen starred in one pretty big hit - 2014's "Neigbors" - and also got a prominent role in a "prestige" film, 2015's "Steve Jobs".

So his career is doing just fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your concern! :wave:

24. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Someone posted earlier that this thread should be about movies that you expected to be good or better than they were because of the cast, the director, and the budget. That makes sense to me, simply because there are hundreds of horrible movies made every year. With that in mind, I nominate the 1981 movie "Neighbors" with Dan Akroyd & John Belushi. Back in those days I loved DA & JB, and was dumbfounded by how bad Neighbors was. It was completely unfunny, even ludicrous. I saw it again last year on TV & this opinion was reinforced.

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. Meatloaf fans start at 17:30 and watch thru till the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.