What does (Re-EQ'd Version) mean?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blackxacto, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackxacto

blackxacto BoomerBoyXL500 Thread Starter

I am considering buying an album from Amazon of "The Best of The Pointer Sister's". Some of the song's are designated (Re-EQ'd Version). What does this designation mean?

2. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

I would assume "Re-EQ'd" means the mastering engineer adjusted the frequency response from the original, generally available source, meaning simply that he/she added/subtracted bass, midrange, and/or high frequencies.

Other things a mastering engineer might choose to utilize are compression, limiting, widening or narrowing of the stereo field, adding reverb, etc. However, I would not consider these to be a part of Re-EQing and to describe the use of them as such would be misleading. If any of these techniques were used with or without Re-EQing, I would describe the end product as "remastered".

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

4. Good, accurate response - though I might add that even just the act of "re-EQing" by itself would constitute remastering in my book (and is most often what I wish the mastering engineer would limit themselves to doing). Artfully and tastefully done (and this takes years of honing one's ears and skills), this can often make or break the audio presentation IMHO.

As to why some songs on the release don't indicate "re-EQ'ing" - simply a matter of no frequency response alteration being done in those cases I would assume...

5. Monosterio

But did they do something on the re-EQ'd songs that's not on the original CD? If there's a possibility of that, I'd stick with the CD. (Unless, of course, I learned the re-EQ'ing was for the better -- for example, Vic Anesini was involved.)

6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I can't tell from my phone but it sounds like they pushed the vocals up on the Re-EQ'd versions?

7. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

"Re-EQ'd" in and of itself means it was NOT that way on the original CD. All "Re-EQing" is done in an attempt to improve on the original for one reason or another. The original may have been poorly EQ'd, lacking in bass or highs, or being too midrangy, etc. Or the new version might be a "dance" version, for example, where certain frequency ranges are purposely pushed to emphasize certain instruments.

8. Monosterio

Yet as we all know, original CDs are usually better than attempts to improve them. Not arguing with you -- just pointing that out.

Unless I specifically knew any re-EQ'ing done was for the better, I would stick with the CD.

9. blackxacto

I emailed Amazon w the question. Their response: "I'd like to inform that the songs designated as Re-EQ'd Version are the remastered version of the songs which is done to improve the quality of music. In some cases, only selected songs and not the entire album are available with remastered version in the album."

I have purchased remastered music from Apple and have never been disappointed. For $5 I'll experiment. I didn't know that the original CD is better most times than a remastered version. Naively I've always assumed re-mastered made things better sounding. I'm no music expert.

10. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Re-EQ'd could mean that the old master is just pulled from the vaults and it's re-EQ'd, compressed, maximized and whatever else. That kind of "remastering" could cause less work and costs.

11. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

Maybe the multitrack wasn't available so EQing was the best they could do? (Although in those circumstances leaving it alone would be the best you could do!)

12. blackxacto

I don't think anyone at Amazon gives a care what is done to an album that's re-eq'd. Their response was generic.

Not being a sound engineer or music expert, if the music sounds ok when I play it, good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.