Princeton area: significant Beatles collection hits PREX

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BlueTrane, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

great store , much better then Ameoba. They also love trade-in's , always give you a good deal. Unless it is certain Prog : Yes , Moodies , Aqualung and post Tull , ELP , etc . They wouldn't take them for free , even

GetHappy!! likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The key was the last sentence.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I am glad the promotion and this thread alerted me that they had an influx of potentially interesting stuff for me to check out. And I got to fill in a gap in my collection at a reasonable price.

But admittedly I am someone who buys recorded music in order to hear stuff in the best possible sound and/or unique sounding versions, and without a thought to resale value as I do not plan to re-sell it, which may not be typical among Beatles and/or vinyl collectors.

SirMarc likes this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm catching up but I think I get the gist of your concerns. I think PREX just knows their clientèle, so when a collection like this is dropped, they want to get the word out as they do want to make money from it. They are a business of course, not a charity. It's also about just getting people in the store...they managed that in my case and I didn't end up buying any of the Beatles stuff, I bought other LP's.

As for supply and demand, I think the demand is already there so again I think they do a good job of pricing things fairly. Their Beatles records are expensive (and not just this latest batch), but Beatles records in general are expensive, that's the market value. I was scanning prices the other day and they were in line with what I expected, there was no sticker shock.

Eigenvector and SirMarc like this.
  5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping my 20-year old observations would prompt someone to provide updated info. It's good to hear that the stickers are more removable.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The UK Let It Be box is not particularly rare, but if the outer box and inner cardboard tray are in good condition, then it's a very nice item. I kind of fast forwarded through the video and didn't notice that the white album was a UK mono - if it's VG++ with a number in the 16,000 range, it's a VERY nice item. I've never understood the interest in low numbered white albums, but people seem to like them. I have seen mono whites with numbers below 10,000 selling for more than $1000.

There has always been a ton of US Beatles product on the market, but condition is always the key. Very little of it is in good condition. If you have even a common title that is in truly "like new" then it's a very desirable item.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    forthlin likes this.
  7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

All this Beatles talk aside... I'm bummed that after PREX posted a video of a 'new orleans' vinyl collection they purchased a few weeks ago I rushed right over and the copy of Irma Thomas' Take A Look was already gone. I'm sure it was selling way less than what is being asked for on ebay or discogs... I bet someone grabbed it for 20 bucks... by the way, I love this place.

RelayerNJ, bluemooze and Comet01 like this.
  8. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I'm not the OP, but I believe that the sole purpose of this thread was to inform the SHTV community that a large Beatles collection featuring items was hitting the racks at PREX. Period.

If this doesn't interest you, fine. But, I don't understand why this would cause such a nasty reaction in anyone.

ARK, tremspeed, RelayerNJ and 3 others like this.
  9. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Simply a case of people looking for a reason to be mad.
    The SHTV version of this:
    [​IMG]

10. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I drove down from Long Island on Saturday and it was a nice turnout. Lots of youngsters as well, which really doesn't surprise me as this is the Beatles after all. I did have to move them out of my way a bit but that comes with the territory LOL. They can keep the stereo remasters, that's not what I was looking for.

11. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

ARK and Comet01 like this.
  12. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

Sour grapes at what? I'm within driving distance of PREX so it isn't like they're out of my reach.

My issue is with PREX, not with who posted the thread. I made that clear in the post you quoted.

13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Where's there a better record store? Tell Me.

AndyNicks, ARK, GetHappy!! and 2 others like this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Because they posted this on Facebook and YT? Not sure why that would be a problem for anyone - they bought someone's collection (who passed away, in this case) and now they're selling it. That's what PREX does. That's what record stores do.

Should they have not bought the collection? Or should they have sold it with no advertising at all, even though they know their customers on FB / YT may want to be informed of new Beatles inventory? I'm really not following you on this one.

15. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I can't see one store's acquisition, advertising and selling of a sizeable Beatles vinyl collection really affecting the overall market value all that much. That's like saying if Perry Cox gets an insane price for a Beatles record on eBay, then that's what the record is really worth. Clearly not the case. There's just so much used and yes collectible Beatles vinyl out there, that it's almost become a buyers market for most Beatles vinyl outside of ultra rare or pristine examples. Depending on what your searching for. With some patience and a little luck, there's always decent Beatles vinyl to be purchased at reasonable prices.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    SirMarc and RelayerNJ like this.
  16. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Some things to remember that are getting lost here.

As I understand it, the head appraiser at PREX died. I remember seeing him there at least 25 years ago. According to the obituary posted here, he may have been working there somewhere between 35-40 years. Also, according to the obituary, he left a wife behind (obituary not clear if there was anyone else). The wife decided to sell the collection to PREX. What were her alternatives? Sell them piecemeal on eBay, maybe. But remember, she had connections to PREX for probably the entire time she knew Mr. Paquin. She must have decided that is what he would have wanted. I've been going there long enough that those familar faces of the longtime staff are like family, and I didn't even know any of them beyond my limited interactions in the store.

Now having gotten this collection, what else was PREX to do than what they did???

I also was widowed (at a much younger age) and know what it is like to have to move on with my life. So I can see why she did what she did. Any talk here of how that affected the used record market, in particular prices for other things, is self-serving at best. Sorry for the blunt assessment.

=======================

By the way, I wouldn't have known about this if it wasn't for this thread. I wasn't able to get up there. But to me, for the reasons stated above, the fact that I couldn't get there seems secondary or even lower.

17. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Thanks for capsulizing this whole issue.
    The widow had a collection that needed to be sold.
    The husband had spent decades working at a record store: this was the obvious place to monetize the collection.

The 'beef' discussed in this thread is an incredible non-issue.

18. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I think you encapsulated this issue pretty well. However, we don't whether Mr. Pacqin's widow decided to sell the collection after he husband's death or whether Mr. Pacquin had set up the conditions of the sale prior to his death.

In either case, I don't understand any criticism of the PREX and their handling of this collection. They have had a social media presence for years and routinely notify their followers of large incoming collections.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Yes. Part of the answer to that question probably lies into whether the death was expected (e.g., long illness) or unexpected (any number of ways). The obituary that was posted here does say he died at home, which could be either scenario ("peacefully" does suggest one over the other). I'm not privy to any of that.

Either way, the wife lost her husband, whch is hard no matter how it happens.

20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I for one look forward to their new arrival videos. If you live a bit of a distance, it gives you a heads up on whats in the store and can plan a trip accordingly. Plus, it's just damn cool to see some of the amazing acquisitions that come on. :) As others have mentioned, I have never seen turn around like this. How many shops have I been to where it's the same picked through stacks and one little (picked through) new arrivals bin...

Comet01 and SirMarc like this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Your proximity to the store was never an issue, so I'm not sure why you bring it up.

The way I understood the conversation was: you don't like people making a big deal about Beatles records because it detracts from your enjoyment of them.

This seems nonsensical, as does your opinion that PREX should not use whatever means they have to get people in the store, which is why some people think your issue is more akin to "sour grapes".

AndyNicks, SirMarc and RelayerNJ like this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

And nonsensical. Poster after poster inform this guy that they don't know what he's talking about and rather than accept the feedback he keeps on dishing out his whatever-it-is. :thumbsdow

SirMarc and Comet01 like this.
  23. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

you ask where is a better store? Double Decker in Allentown, Pa. i was going to Princeton Xchange 3-4 times a year for the past 4-5 years as my daughter lived close by. They do have a great new arrivals section and prices are fair. i always would buy 10-15 lps each visit. However, DD in Allentown has better prices, a vast inventory and no hassle parking too.

RelayerNJ and bluemooze like this.
  24. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Agreed. I live about 1.5 hours away, but make the trek to get there a few times a year. It's always well worth it.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Both great stores, but Princeton's prices many $2 albums at what would be $8 at Double Decker both in excellent condition.

BlueTrane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.