Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Sounds like a whole new premium series from Mobile Fidelity/Music Direct is being introduced, with the first title being Santana's Abraxus (catalog # UD1S 001). I wonder if this will be something of a modern day UHQR series for them?

On a related note, wonder what happened with Analogue Productions' new generation UHQR series? Chad bought the brand a couple of years ago, but so far nothing has been introduced under that label. Amused to Death would have been an interesting start...

2. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Just a new marketing hype to "stroke you" into submission.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

right

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Not strictly hype. Usually, you cut the laquer, make a negative impression of that, make a positive which you then create stampers from. In this scenario, you cut the laquer and you make the stamper directly from that. It's been done before, but it necessitates a limited production run. How much better is it? That's where they hype comes in.

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Any word on this title release as it seems they have cancelled the 45 rpm set recently and is no longer listed.

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Will be interested to hear more about this in the way of sound, titles available and pricing.

Terry likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Is there a link?

8. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

I wish they would quit all this bs and just release stuff they advertise ........and NOT 2 or 3 years later!

Spaceboy, Sean, joshm2286 and 10 others like this.
  9. Not sure what you are talking about, but I don't see anything new or a new series at MD or MoFi. Their "Abraxas" offerings date back to 2008. What I can tell you is, "Abraxas" has long been a poorly mastered album from it's original release. Starting with the incorrect hissy mixes into the quadraphonic version using the wrong sessions and into later generational releases, it wasn't until 2008 that MoFi corrected everything. Their vinyl LP version is superb and knocks any other vinyl issue out of the ballpark. You can't beat their UltraDisc gold CD. The only improvement which could possibly be made would be a 45rpm LP release as they did with the first Santana album. The trouble is, 45rpm LP versions can often bring out the flaws in the original master tapes. "Abraxas" was recorded at a time when CBS was using recycled recording tape instead of virgin tape, and that's where the quality issues start. Modern technology has been able to reduce the shortcomings, but that is affected by how carefully they go through the available sources.

DK Pete, ALAN SICHERMAN, Sean and 9 others like this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

bluejimbop and Larry Mc like this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

already a thread on this

rxcory likes this.
  12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Of course there is.

Sean, DRM, rstamberg and 7 others like this.
  13. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

$99.99! You've gotta be kidding! I can't imagine that the sound quality is so increased that it's worth $99.99.

14. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I'm still trying to get acclimated to the price increases we saw last January.

Long Live Analog, Sean, Alan2 and 2 others like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

"Santana's iconic Abraxas, the debut release in Mobile Fidelity's exclusive UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S) series, reaches three-dimensional sonic and emotional heights never before attained by analog recordings on this extremely limited 180g 45RPM vinyl 2LP box set. Created in finite batches for the ultimate in sound quality, UD1S uses a one-step lacquer process that yields vinyl with the lowest-possible noise floor, exponentially greater details, and significantly enhanced dynamics. This ultra-hi-fi audiophile edition literally and figuratively brings you closer to the music of this 1970 masterpiece, which spent six weeks atop the charts and spawned the cosmic staple "Black Magic Woman." Experienced via UD1S, Abraxas is the ultimate confluence of celebratory vibes, bluesy jams, mellow vocals, and hip-shaking grooves. You've never heard Santana's peak creations come to life in such lifelike fashion or against such dead-quiet, squid-ink-black backgrounds."
    Sounds like Friday Music's hype geniuses have been moonlighting.

And jumping on the "artisan" bandwagon ("finite batches") makes me throw up in my mouth. Just a little.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, no, I'm good with my normal-people version, thanks.

ness151, andrewskyDE, DRM and 32 others like this.
  17. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I'd say these won't likely be played on Crosleys.

18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Never have, never will spend 100 bucks on an LP. Not when I can get 3 or 4 great new records or several fine used records for the same amount of cash.

Long Live Analog, awana, DRM and 13 others like this.
  19. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

20. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

If I had both the inclination and the money to buy the world's most nearly perfect records I might be interested, but I'm 0 for 2 on that front. I might instead look into releases from The Tape Project, where, for only about $50 per album more (ha) I could get first generation, 15 ips dubs and not have to deal with the clinical level of care needed to handle vinyl discs and playback equipment.

altaeria, Hamhead, bluejimbop and 2 others like this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I just gave my MFSL Nevermind a spin tonight and was amused / saddened by the $19.99 price tag still on the outer sleeve. I miss those days. I suppose I wasn't literally and figuratively closer to the music, however.

Mugrug12, WapatoWolf, Hamhead and 3 others like this.
  22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, for $350 more. Robert Cray False Accusations   | The Tape Project »

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My albums cost $3.99. :cussing:

In 1975.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

:)

I still get the occasional $4 record. From 1975.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Malina, audiomixer and Pinknik like this.