Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I am not a fan!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    MikaelaArsenault and tonyc like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised they let Taran go so unceremoniously.... But you're right, he had kind of stalled on the show. When he was an up and coming guy behind Andy Samberg and Bill Hader it seemed like he was going to be big, but once those guys were gone he never really broke out in a big way, despite being used regularly. Still, I'm surprised they didn't let him stay on one more year, which is all he wanted to do anyway.

And yet... Kyle Mooney is still there.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  5. dirwuf

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Although I agree with this 100%, I will miss Jebidiah Atkinson at the Weekend Update desk.

7. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Got to agree with what's been said, both Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah didn't really do as well as they could have. I remember when the last group were leaving, people were saying that Killam was the next big guy-I didn't believe them. Really he was lower-tier, latter day MadTV guy to me.

I am surprised that they are letting him go without letting him stay his last year. SNL usually doesn't kick people off at such a late date--but he was going through the motions for quite sometime.

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'm shocked. Taran was getting a bit stale, but was still good. Who's gonna play Obama until January? And if they're gonna fire people, why the hell not Kenan?

svoegtlin and Sunset Sam like this.
  9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

My guess is that behind the scenes he writes a lot of the offbeat segments. So, he may be perceived as more valuable even if he spends less time on the air.

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Another interesting part of all this is that the show is supposed to cut two full commercial breaks this season. So, you would think that the show would actually be adding to the cast and not cutting.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Surprised both got cut. Pharaoh wasn't hilarious but a solid impersonator to fill up some sketch needs. Taran may have gotten stale but again, he was solid and used in a lot of sketches as a solid go to.

On the other hand the show needs a cast shake up. There's no stand out performers, and until it finds one to center the show again, I'm ok with some bigger moves each year.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. dirwuf

OldSoul likes this.
  13. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Taran Killam carried the show, I thought. It's true, the bad writing rendered him useless most of the time, but he was definitely capable of being funny and was in almost every sketch.
    I like Kevin Mooney. He can be pretty funny, as well. Again, it all comes down to the writing really. God, now we have to deal with new cast members, who are always so awkward at first.
    Who they really should get rid of is Sasheer Zamata. She always just plays the token "normal" female in sketches.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. He's one of the few relatively new cast members I can actually recognise. He's also got his "digital shorts", which are usually pretty good.
    Yep. She was nothing but a diversity hire anyway, and has never done anything memorable. I suspect she got the job because Lorne Michaels had a crush on her.

15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Me too. That's the first thing I thought of when reading this.

I really enjoy Kyle Mooney's stuff.

17. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Pharoah had his moments, but he never developed into a standout performer that I had expected him to become. Killam had more notoriety with key, recurring characters, but I think he was much less consistent over the last season or two.

The one from the main cast that I'd have expected to see gone would be Beck Bennett. I really can't think of anything that he's done which stands out, at all.

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

[​IMG]

kouzie likes this.
  19. Squealy

Such as?

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Beck's "baby body" character sucks.

svoegtlin, Jrr, eddiel and 6 others like this.
  21. Squealy

I thought the baby body sketch was funny the first time, although it didn't hold up on repeated variations.

But Bennett fills a need they always have on SNL -- someone who can play white male authority figures, dads, etc. Dan Aykroyd, Phil Hartman, Chris Parnell, and Jason Sudeikis all filled this slot in different ways.

22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Rhianna, Beyoncé.

She is underutilized but she can deliver when given the chance to be more than the extra in a skit with one line.

davenav likes this.
  23. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yup, one of the more truly annoying characters on SNL. Doesn't even make any sense...he doesn't have a baby body, he has the mannerisms of a baby. Geez.

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I don't like the character, either. But, it does "stand out" which I what I was replying to.

25. Let Kenan do it. I suspect he's still around because (a) he can still bring the funny when needed, (b) he's perhaps the closest thing they have to a standout performer right now in the current crop of utility players (aside from maybe Leslie Jones, but I dunno if she's got much range), and (c) as long as he's around there's the promise of another What Up With That?!?

Matthew Tate and rburly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.