Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I always wonder what this means in practice. Because even if the material is PD, the physical recording still belongs to the record company, no? I mean they're not just going to leave it out on the doorstep for someone to come along and pick it up.

2. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Obviously so the Floyd can have their own "Carnival of Light" to keep fans wanting more. ;-)

Seriously though, do we know for a fact that the 10+ minute studio recording of "Reaction in G" still exists, and is in their possession? Because as a Syd fan, of course I would love to hear it. Then again I'd also love to hear "She Was a Millionaire," and I guess it's been accepted that it no longer exists. Although I did see someone claim that the instrumental "No Title (Sunshine/Experiment)" could in fact be the backing track to Millionaire, and that this is all that was completed. Don't know if there is any truth to that theory however.

3. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It's on the same reel as In The Beechwoods, so they obviously auditioned.

Laservampire likes this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't know why, if you spend over £300 on a boxset, they don't just allow you access to some part of their website that allows you to download additional content not considered 'good enough' for the actual physical release. Didn't Neil Young do that with his Archives thingy?

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The short snippet of Reaction in G posted above sounds really good. If it exists, I can't help wondering why it was not put alongside the Latham tracks on CD2.

How come that snippet is on You Tube?

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Does Young own all his own catalogue? I presume so as he seems to be controlling all his own re-issues. If he owns it then that enables him to do this archival download option, and maybe it needs more people like him to show how it can be done.

But who actually owns the PF tapes? Is it the band or the record company?

Of course as I've said, not all artists want everything put out there. Lou Reed didn't.

7. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

That sounds like perfect Easter egg material - I acknowledge it is holy-grailesque for me but it's probably more important symbolically than potent as an official part of a tracklist.

8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Putting money in a boxset doesn't grant you artistic agency.
    Vaults are closed for a reason. Everything you need is in what you get.

9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It was broadcast as theme music for Beat Club news in 1969

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

This one will not be in the box ???!!!

goodiesguy, zobalob and Chellovek like this.
  11. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Interesting quesion, because these new LP reissues and the upcoming mega box are on the Pink Floyd Records label. Not EMI anymore. In association with Columbia, which I assume is the distributor, at least in the U.S. Do the Floyd license the recordings for their own label or do they now actually own them?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I just checked. From the recent new CDs, it says owned by PF Music and marketed and distributed by Sony.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The Warners deal was to buy the Pink Floyd catalog and some others like Radiohead on the Parlophone label. Not sure if the arrangement has been changed now with the new stuff this year. Seems like it, as Parlophone is not the label they are using anymore.

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Some of the PF catalogue was already owned by PF and licensed to EMI Ltd (Div Bell, for example). but I don't think this applied to the early works.

15. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

This is quite amazing.

Scope J likes this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'm interested in creating a playlist of non-album 1967 recordings featuring Syd that could have been used on an LP as a follow-up to Piper that had more Syd involvement. What tracks would those be? Apples & Oranges, Scream Thy Last Scream...?

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Doesn't "Remember a Day" feature a lot of Syd guitar? Yeah, it was actually on Saucerful, but I think it fits the brief.

18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Apples, Scream, Vegetable Man, Beechwoods, Jugband, Remember, Set the Controls, Paintbox, Reaction in G...
    Would've been great!

19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Or a first time stereo mix of Arnold Layne
    First time stereo mix of Candy and a Currant Bun
    Scream Thy Last Scream with a Syd lead vocal
    Etc., etc.

I don't think we're talking about scraping the bottom of the barrel with what is left.

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

Great idea if it works (technically) and is maintained. The Who had Q-Cloud for the Quadrophenia Super Deluxe set and now it's just very buggy. Also, several tracks mentioned as forthcoming to the cloud never were released.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Right, it has nothing to do with the physical recordings. The 3rd parties have to find the sources themselves, so unless they can tap into something uncirculated, it's basically going to be whatever is out on bootleg.

22. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

I don't think there is a lot of unreleased audio and video after 1972, but it would be great to see a second set like this!

23. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I think the box set promo video seems to start with footage that is not explicitly listed in the PDF of the contents. So, is that video of Syd dancing around in the parking lot (there's more to it, as well) the menu screen of one of the DVDs, or is it an Easter Egg? Unclear.

Edit: Actually, the first track on the Cambridge St/ation DVD includes "Pink Floyd at EMI studios," which is probably this dancing Syd footage.

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

It's the Chapter 24 video listed in the contents.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Even with royalties, I'll bet they can still come in quite under $500 for 27 discs. Even if the product was only slightly cheaper, it still pulls away sales. But price aside, the artists don't want to lose control over the release over their work. They are obviously concerned about it, given all the copyright securing releases being put out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.