Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (vinyl) coming in July*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

How does it sound? Better than a cd?

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

No complaints here. My vinyl is flawless and both discs are correct. The sound is very good, I can't really fault it at all. I like the original albums too but it's great to have all these songs on really nice vinyl in this running order. Deluxe editions of the original albums will be hard to pass on. He has a truly impressive body of work.

Rickchick and Rockinrob like this.
  3. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Maybe the European and American pressings have the same plates? Then we got it scratched out because it's a different pressing plant? No idea. Since Chris Bellman inscription is on it, it'd be safe to assume he cut the laquer.

4. Chris Schoen

Will have mine this weekend. Looking forward to these songs on well pressed vinyl. :agree:

5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I got mine while I was away as the vinyl spinners here know and intend to spin it in a day or having passed physical inspection okay. My copy was around GBP23.99 delivered which is GBP 11.49 per disc which you can't complain about allowing for inflation from when you bought vinyl back in the 80's (and it's 180gram too!)
    The sticker is a bit misleading in that the claim only refers to North America while there was a limited European vinyl edition that was sold in the UK and Europe but anyway it's Tom, it looks like it should and it's back as a new in stock item for all of us TP fans.

John Bliss and jon9091 like this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The last track on the LP reissue is Something in the Air. The All Music track listing has the last track as Stop Draggin' My Heart Around with Stevie Nicks. I would much rather have it be the latter. Is there some copyright issue with that song? Why close out a greatest hits compilation with a cover?

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The original album did NOT have "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" on it.

Cassius and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Maybe the All Music listing is wrong. I do have my 1993 CD here and it ends with Something in the Air as well. It still seems odd to me that an artist with a catalog like Petty's would put a cover on a greatest hits compilation.

9. Chris Schoen

Last Dance With Mary Jane and Something In The Air were two unreleased songs that were put on the Greatest Hits as a bonus
    to get those who already had the "hits" to buy the cd when it came out. Both are great songs (imo), even the "cover" (I don't care
    who wrote the song, if it's a good song...)

Rickchick, John Bliss, rd1 and 2 others like this.
  10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I get all that. I think you're right. He didn't need a cover though. Covers are space fillers. He could have included a song he wrote/co-wrote and performed with the lovely Stevie Nicks. IMO that would be a better move.

11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

He wasn't going to fork over anything from the (at the time) Wildflowers double LP.

12. Chris Schoen

Maybe you don't get that some people like a cover better than some other songs written by the artist. Of the artists I like, some of the covers they
    do are my favorite songs by them. Petty did write a lot of great songs, for sure. His covers (to me) are worth having, if I like them.

Rickchick and ShallowMemory like this.
  13. Chris Schoen

I think I read that in his bio. He was smart in the way he handled (or let others handle) his music. He learned the hard way.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I haven't received mine yet, but I did just receive another email survey to fill out on the packaging. That means they packed it properly thus time. When they do a crappy job and ship it from the UK to the US in a flimsy envelope (bent corners guaranteed), I don't receive these surveys for some reason. Imagine that....

Andy Boyd and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got the same email about an hour ago. You'd think they would at least wait until we receive the package, before sending a survey for the packaging.
    Before I opened it, I figured it was for the Pink Floyd LPs from about a month ago

jon9091 likes this.
  16. Chris Schoen

Is the import cheaper? I got mine today from Amazon and it was in a box within a box. Perfect condition, vinyl looks good (Chris Bellman cut) Can't wait to play it!

17. jon9091

At the time I pre-ordered it, it was actually cheaper for some strange reason.

18. Chris Schoen

I initially ordered the import also, but the domestic was available (got it today), so I cancelled the import. I will post my thoughts on the sound this weekend.

jon9091 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Pretty sure the price went back up, but when most of us ordered the UK, I believe we got it for under $24 shipped.

The Pink Floyd releases were cheaper in UK also.

jon9091 likes this.
  20. I got a copy today at Newbury Comics. Geffen Records USA label, "Made In The Netherlands" on the back. Dead quiet vinyl between songs. A few songs seem a little bright compared to the original vinyl, but overall I am very satisfied with the LPs.

Szeppelin75 and ShallowMemory like this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Played this today, nice flat, quiet vinyl, good sound. :righton::agree:

Szeppelin75, Andy Boyd and kman like this.
  22. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Having played mine yesterday, I concure.

23. jon9091

Well, mine showed up today. Flimsy cardboard package. Crushed/bent corners. I let them have it in the little survey they sent me. I hope yours comes out better.

24. Vinyl Addict

Myy UK arrived today in the same flimsy box.
    No dings ,bends, or warps. Only damage was the paper inner sleeves were split on one side. No biggie, I usually just reuse those for Christmas/$1 bin records.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    jon9091 likes this.
  25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Mine is flawless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.