You know you’re in a great record store when …

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by steelydanguy, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trace

Trace Senior Member

My favorite store (Silver Platters SODO) has all 12 listed above, and, a couple of the employees actually greet me by name when I come in!

( Maybe I'm there too much, now that I think of it...o_O )

steelydanguy likes this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

100% agreed, and there is nothing like that in my area. :rant:

3. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

When you instantly have to drop the kids off at the pool.

4. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Regarding your questions, the new CD Cellar store is quite large. It's at an entirely new location -- about four blocks from the old Falls Church store. The parking at the new location is easier than it was at either of the previous two stores. The address of the new CD Cellar is: 105 Park Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046.

I imagine that they were able to fit pretty much all of the stock from their two old stores into the new store. I kind of like that I can go to just one place now instead of driving around Northern Virginia to check out two.

And regarding the Sound Garden, yeah, it's a great store. I make occasional trips to Baltimore to visit it. I lived in the Baltimore area from 2007 to 2009, and I went to the Sound Garden often. There's nothing quite like it in the immediate D.C. metro area, though I have to say that CD Cellar is no slouch!

I've also checked out Trax on Wax in Catonsville, a suburb of Baltimore. I guess that store opened in the past five years or so. It's all-vinyl and it's excellent.

5. steelydanguy

When I lived in West Palm Beach, Fla., from 2011 to 2014, I also didn't have a truly great store anywhere near me. As a result, I took occasional trips to the Orlando and the Tampa/St. Petersburg areas to get my "fix" because they had good stores in those areas (Rock and Roll Heaven and Park Ave CDs in Orlando; Bananas vinyl warehouse in St. Petersburg). So I feel for you.

Dan G and Andrew like this.
  6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for new record shops and haven't heard of Trax on Wax before. This is what makes the forum great. :)

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Would love to visit the Sound Garden in Baltimore. My favorite record store (out of the three that I frequent) is the location in Syracuse. It's kind of like finding a gold nugget in a mountain of used hypodermic needles - or, for a more specific metaphor, like finding a great record store in a mountain of used hypodermic needles. Very friendly staff, great selection, unreal prices. One of the people who works there explicitly told me that they like to give great deals more than they dislike people who flip their stuff for profit. I don't know what that ratio is, being Syracuse - terrible people, but do any of them see profit in music anyway?

Anyway, I couldn't tell you all the great times I've had there since I first visited last year. Lots of rare stuff I'd forgotten I was looking for just turns up in the $5.99 bin. "Hi! Here we are! Take us home!" It's the only store I've been to with more than one Kinks studio album (both of the recent Legacy editions are always in stock, for those curious - beats the place that had a bare-bones reissue of Village Green for $24 and nothing else!). I've generally ceased calling it "Sound Garden" and prefer to call it "the only reason to ever set foot in Syracuse". Although I was pretty pissed when someone stole the stoppers off the hood of the car while we were in there! :realmad: You win some, you lose some...

But judging by their site, they're trying really hard to pretend that the Syracuse location doesn't exist. The website has pictures of Tom Morello, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Motorhead hanging out in the Baltimore store. Syracuse has... its employees and shoppers. :( I wish I lived in a place where cool stuff happened.

8. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

An attractive female clerk with bold green eyes slips you her number at the checkout counter while Ac/DC plays in the background

9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

You know you are in a great record store when…

1. There are extensive dollar/budget bins
    2. The regular stock is arranged by genre and not thrown into one gigantic alphabetical stew
    3. The employees don't know anything about the genres I care about.

Those are my criteria. If there is place to get a cup of coffee or a glass of wine within walking distance, that is the cherry.

steelydanguy likes this.
  10. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Well, there's the Blue Tusk too.

11. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You know you're in a great record store when…

... the music on sale in the store reflects the opinions and tastes of the owners and/or salespeople.

It's not just the music that's there, but the music that's not there...

12. When they sell Tapes and refurbished 8 tracks!

13. steelydanguy

If you're into vinyl, Trax on Wax is definitely worth a visit. It's a really well-organized store and it carries vinyl that's in good shape. Some of it is on the pricier side, but I have seen a decent amount of rarities in the bins. The couple of times I've been there, I believe it's the owner who is working behind the counter. Friendly guy. And based on some of the items decorating the walls, I'm guessing he might have worked in the music industry in some capacity. I'll have to chat him up the next time I get there.

14. InStepWithTheStars

Another record store? Where's that? What does it specialize in?

15. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

You know you’re in a great record store when...
    When You actually see great records IN THE STORE instead of common albums released by millions and still overpriced because "vinyls are cool now". Also when You don't see stacks of record mailers anywhere in the store and don't hear sound of packing tape in the back room. Of course I know, that this kind of record stores almost non-existent today.

Andrew likes this.
  16. Phasecorrect

There is a loud, local garage band playing in the basement, and everything used is 50% off. Score!

17. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

1. It hasn't been popsike'ed to death.

18. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

It's not a Pokemon Go hotspot.

Phasecorrect, jlf and Andrew like this.
  19. Phasecorrect

When they have killer Vietnamese food across the street

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

when they carry deep catalog CD's by all the bands.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Velvet Underground section is bigger than the Billy Joel section.

22. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

It's a restaurant around the corner from Sound Garden, Last I was in there they had 89 taps going. :D

23. InStepWithTheStars

Oh, I assumed it was a record store. I've had enough of drunk people for a few lifetimes, let alone drunk Syracusians. I'll stick to Sound Garden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.