SH Spotlight Now it can be told: Why did some of the DCC Gold's sound so "unique" compared to other CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A few of you missed this..

C6H12O6 likes this.
  2. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Steve, does it go for both the US and Japan versions of HW61? I would think so. :)

3. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

sassi likes this.
  4. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Thanks. I got to get Strange Days. It is still missing from my collection. Crazy prices on eBay! :D

5. Steve Hoffman

Isn't the AP SACD good? I heard it was.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sounds clinical and bottomless compared to the DCC---dang that one sounds sooooo buttery :love:

7. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Cool. I have the two Doors and the Van Halen CDs (and the LP release of VH as well).

My understanding is that VH's 1984 was mastered for DCC as well but for whatever reasons, was shelved. If so, was that also mastered on this rig Or did that project ever get to that stage?

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The DCC Doors sound fantastic, especially the first two. I prefer the AP SACDs on the last two albums.

9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

It kills me that they did not release 1984. It might be my favorite album of all time.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

After the three Steve gave us, I would have guessed HW61 and McCartney. Both of those discs have some "wow" moments that really stand out to me as memorable even in comparison to other DCCs. I've long said the DCC Like A Rolling Stone has a certain something that the AF version doesn't.

And I own every single DCC gold disc so I've heard 'em all.

Much as like the Van Halen disc, I wouldn't have guessed that one. I never thought other iterations sounded that far out on the "solid state" bell curve.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. teag

teag Forum Resident

The AP Doors LPs are great sounding. Of course, thats vinyl, not SACD. Just in case anyone was wondering (although this is not a revelation to many).

12. Steve Hoffman

You're speaking of the AP "Strange Days"? Well, let me fill you in on something. That's pretty much how the mix sounds in its unaltered state. Clinical and bottomless. Which is interesting because Love's "Forever Changes" mixed by the same person on the same gear sounds nothing like that. Maybe Bruce was trying to get a livelier sound? I don't know.

However, the first "LEDO" by Elektra clearly documents trying to "fix" the sound of "Strange Days" by making it warmer and more natural sounding. I followed the LEDO version very carefully (since it's the cutting master for all the stereo LPs.) So the DCC version has bass and it has a nice, organic quality. I would have thought the Analogue Productions version would have done the same since Chad always loved the DCC. Who mastered the AP version? Do you know? Just curious.

13. Apple2276

Apple2276 Forum Resident

I have all but VanHalen.

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Doug Sax.

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

OK, now what are the 11 secret herbs and spices???... ;)

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I don't know how much Bruce was involved but they do say "have been remastered by Doug Sax and The Doors’ original engineer Bruce Botnick"

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

History is fun! :righton: Very interesting--did not know about the Elektra "fix"--you certainly spoiled us by emulating it, however :agree: I've kept the AP's as they're a more convenient way of hearing the 5.1 mixes vs. the PERCEPTION box, but maybe I'll revisit the stereo versions again as I haven't played them in a couple of years at least.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Have all of them minus Van Halen. Still enjoy those Doors quite a bit. I guess lots of research and simple mastering is best.

rxcory likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I asked Steve via PM and he confirmed that both the Japan and USA masterings of Highgway 61 were mastered using the Original Universal Audio EQ designed by Bill Putnam and vacuum tube Ampex electronics.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Damn I miss those old DCCs. Wish you guys were still cranking them out, Steve

MLutthans and George P like this.
  21. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Being a big fan of Iain Matthews, can you share any history / stories on your mastering of Nights In Manhattan (And Points West)? The DCC cd is incredible... plays so fine. Like Iain, Mark, and Craig are there in your listening room. There are no other releases to compare the cd with, only my memories of being present at one of the concerts.

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If my memory is correct Mr Hoffman sort of spilled the beans about this back in the 90s. I vaguely remember some interviews in the audiophile mags where he talked about the problems with lifeless sounding recordings and various techniques to compensate.

oboogie likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

that gave me a big ol' belly laugh. cheers :edthumbs:

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Steve any hints as to what was done on DCC Prestige jazz CDs? These don't sound like the OJC CDs, ie Saxophone Colossus DCC has more bite to it.

25. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

Soundslave and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.