Best Overall Headphones for Under $275

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

These cans look great. I have a set of their earbuds that sound very good.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  2. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The AKG K550 is a decent option if you're looking for a pair of closed headphones.

Robert C and rjp like this.
  3. The Fall

The Fall Active Member

Yeah. They're certainly under the audiophile radar and distribution network. They sell direct. I've owned a couple of their products and they all perform well above their price range. One broken ear bud they replaced with an email from the owner following up. Not much more I could ask for...

black sheriff likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

How so ? I'm planning on getting a pair of these locally. They're U$ 300 and no I cannot import anything from another countries as postal custom's taxes would make it way pricier, even the ATs. Music would be mainly metal, hard rock, punk, industrial.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I have a pair of these. I find the bass to be lacking.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

He could mean hyped in terms of treble??

I have the ATH-M50x's. I did a bit of research before buying and although some referred to these as having a flat response, most of the comments I found online said otherwise.

One comment I found online described them as being on the warm side of neutral. I'd say that's a pretty good description.

I don't find them to be too trebly myself. I do like the bass on them. I don;t have any issues, unless the source material is lacking, with long listening sessions. So no listening fatigue. They're also comfortable to wear.

I use them mainly for ipod mp3 listening. Music wise I listen to cross section. Some rock, some punk, lots of dance oriented music. Maybe that's why I like the bass response! :)

Can you audition them before hand?

Galley likes this.
  7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Grado SR-225e. $200.

WapatoWolf, rodentdog and TimM like this.
  8. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I have a pair of the ATH-M50 (virtually the same as the M50x) as well. They have a really thick midbass that did not sound very natural to me. The worst part wasn't the sound, however. The headband is covered in this awful material that flaked off and would get all over my hair and scalp every time I put them on. Replacement bands were like half the cost of a new headphone so I said screw it and bought the NAD headphones that are superior in every way. I would still recommend the ATH-M50x for people on a $150 budget who can't extend it upwards.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can related as I had the same headband issue when I was using the Bose QC2s during my bigger traveling years. However, with the M50x I don't have the same issue. With the QC2s it started happening almost right away. How long did it take for yours to start wearing out?

10. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

It took about a year for the headband to start to flake.

11. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

How about the Philips Fidelio X2? They are open headphones but if sound leakage isn't issue, they should be excellent.

12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

An earphone but I wonder how a Cardas A8 ranks here.

13. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

At first I found them way too bass heavy - fatiguing... Then a second listen I noticed how bright they were - they even sounded brighter than the Grados that I was A/B-ing..

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I have these, too. I like them for commuting and working around the house. For dedicated listening or working at a desk, I prefer over-ear headphones.

husafreak likes this.
  15. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Thanks,I'm thinking about these.$299 and getting some good reviews.

16. The Pinhead

Yes; apparently I read the same comments you read:laugh:. They're very contradictory weak bass/too bassy, too bright/neutral/warm etc. People hear differently. I'm trying to get a similar sound to the one I experience with my Klipsch Synergy towers+JBL 12 sub. I'd use them exclusively with my amps. Would love to listen to FLAC files on my computer but at high volumes the sounds distorts to no end. Even my tablet and chinese Ipod knockoff don't do that ! I use Sennheiser C2 earbuds. Not bad for using on the go but hardly hi-fi. They do resemble the Klipsch sound to my surprise (if in a lower fi fashion).

And yes they do have a demo pair and encourage you to bring your own music, which is a good sign. Salesperson is helpful and at the same time not pushy.:)

eddiel likes this.
  17. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Bowers & Wilkins these my favorite headphones. Great bass sound and very comfortable fit, $ 180...I bought them in 2012, There not bulky looking like the Beats.

18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I paid $195.

19. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Get the ATH-m40x if you're interested in the ATH-m50x. They're incredible. Very balanced, they're comfortable, and they're cheaper. The 50x sound good but they're more V shaped and have a somewhat harsh treble. No such issues with the 40x which happen to be some of my main drivers.

Robert C likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

Another contradictory opinion; V-shaped vs. on the warm side of neutral. Plus, they're not available locaally and cannot import them coz taxes would make them incredibly expensive. Thax for your input anyway.

21. roughdiamondnickel

It would be helpful if we knew what type of headphones were available in your area that you have access to purchase.

22. The Pinhead

Mostly crappy Sennies and Beats or mega-bucks ones (most audiophile ones) and the ATHXs. So if those are no good I'm toast.

23. roughdiamondnickel

The ATH are good headphones - nowhere did I mean to imply they're not. I listened to them and liked them a lot. My friend owned them and eventually traded them in for the 40x because of (and only because) the treble issue. I didn't really hear any treble issues but his reports + online reports have contradicted my experience.

If you can find some Koss Porta Pros ($30 in the US) and mod/drill them, they're a pretty kickass headphone for the price. (wearing them right now)

Prophetzong and The Pinhead like this.
  24. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

I went the Grado route myself, but they are similar (The Allessandros are just slightly-tweaked... I assume they modify the crossovers a bit). The way I understood it, the Allessandros were a bit more-neutral while the Grado equivalent had a touch more warmth, a bit livelier. Allessandros are aimed more towards musician-types while Grados are just designed for hi-fi types who just like listening to music. I started with the SR80's, which I really-liked, and then I moved up to the RSII's. The SR80's are a fantastic deal, but for the OP's budget, I think he would be looking at maybe the SR225's. What's great about those Grado drivers is that they are so easy to drive. They will sound awesome with something as simple as a portable, and yet I can plug them into my old tube receiver. That cable is a bit cumbersome on the go, but I love the sound of the Grados I've tried.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    trip1 likes this.
  25. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

There is a guy I see on the train with Grados from time to time. I'd lose my mind with open cans on a train. For home/office listening, I've loved my cheapy Grados. This thread has made me realize that I might have a bit of a problem with collecting headphones!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.