Let's talk about E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

She was in Altered States before E.T, but yeah this was pretty much her big movie break.

2. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Seems that "latchkey kids" even predates the '80s:
    Latchkey kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ยป

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Well thank you for your honesty,it means a lot...

I love this movie...... I finally found a GOOD copy of it recorded off analog cable (Actually 'OVER THE AIR' TV in 1991) and its the most georgeous copy of this movie I have ever had.... (Sound/video)

Vahan likes this.
  4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I hope it's not cut for time and content, and it's from either HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, or The Movie Channel.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wait - are you arguing a videotape version from 1991 tops the Blu-ray? :confused:

6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Some people prefer analog media over digital media. It's no big deal.

Dude111 likes this.
  7. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Not enough flashlights.

8. Oatsdad

I get the debate between digital/analog audio, but not digital/analog video.

If someone prefers to watch VHS, go for it - but the notion that a VHS tape would look better than a Blu-ray perplexes me...

sparkydog likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Some people prefer Mac and Me to E.T. Don't question it. :)

10. Oatsdad

Let's leave Paul Rudd out of it...

Pinknik likes this.
  11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

E.T. is the high water mark for the Ford Fairmont as a cop car.

[​IMG]

ragged company likes this.
  12. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

And if you said your name was Elliot it would be a clip from the movie instead of the computer generated voice.

13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's exactly what I like about this film. Again and again, Spielberg promotes children having knowledge and feelings that adults are too arrogant to respect. It brings me back to the now banned film Holiday from Sweden. When I saw Holiday on CBS in the 70's it was so beautiful and empowering to me as a kid.

E.T. was an empowering film for kids that made them not just cry, but think.

Ghostworld and Solaris like this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

But the question has always been: Would anyone care if M &M was used in the film?
    The reason Reese's Pieces took off was because it was new.
    BTW when was the last time you saw anyone buy Reeses Pieces.

OT: BTW I worked with Dee Wallace on a b- movie for show time.....very nice person.
    She walked up to me on the first day on the set and shook my hand and introduced herself.

Vahan likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are mistaken. The new digital HD version is about 276 times better than the ancient 1980s analog transfer. In fact, Universal went to great lengths to make the new transfer as close as possible to the old one. I believe cinematographer Allen Daviau was too ill too attend the sessions, but his assistant was there and Daviau did see Blu-ray copies at his home and approved everything, as did Spielberg (whose office is only a few hundred yards away from where the mastering took place).

I would agree that the new picture has a much sharper look than the old, and if you go with a typical 1980s projected print -- which was extremely soft and ugly -- you might initially not like what you see. But from the point of view of exposure and color and accuracy, the new transfer is much, much better. I would rather see a sharper "warts and all" picture than a soft picture that's under water, which is basically what a 1988 VHS tape (or even the Laserdisc) would look like. I believe colorist Lou Levinson did the 1980s transfer and also the laser digital re-transfer for DVD, but I don't know who did the more-recent HD version done at Universal's DVS facility.

thestereofan, IronWaffle and Solaris like this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I buy Reese's Pieces every year around Halloween. :)

M&Ms sales probably would have spiked if they were used in the movie.

17. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the point of the leaving the kids alone was true to the latch key kid reality that was happening with the increases of divorces. Mom had to have a life too and worked. That was one of the themes addressed in the movie the split up of the marriage.

I love this film. I saw it opening day on June 11, 1982 at our local theatre the Bay Cinema on 31st and 2nd Avenue (Kips Bay/NYC). I've seen it many times over the years and just recently in Amsterdam (35mm print) at the Eye. They're doing a Speilberg restrospective and showing all of his films (with a few missed exceptions).

I think it holds up very well. Yes, it was made in 1982 but this will always be the time of this story. The same way in "The Wizard of Oz" the Kansas scenes will always be of its time period when made.

John Williams deserved the oscar for this score. Quite incredible.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  18. Todd Fredericks

I hear you about the scene when Dee Wallace does not see our alien friend but I do buy it. I think the point was how adults just are blind to what kids say or do and what's in their world. Almost like they tune out. I once whe I was a teenager had some friends stay over (who were having trouble at home) without my mom's permission (don't tell my mom) and I couldn't believe she didn't realize they were in the apartment or sometimes she would open the door to my room to say good night and there were obvious signs other people were there. She didn't see or tune in. This was a small NYC two bedroom apartment! So I buy it.

Solaris likes this.
  19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

BTW I worked with D
    That's my point. Why do you think that? Everyone already ate M &M. Yes I do agree that sales would improve, but not a spike.
    The reason Reese's Pieces took off was because it was relatively new. From the WIKI they were introduced in 1978 but I never heard of them up until ET.

20. Oatsdad

I get that, and I like the way it showed the impact of divorce without harping on it.

I still think it was a stretch for a parent to leave a six-year-old at home by herself, even for a few minutes and even in 1982! :)

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I buy them, and a lot of other people must still buy them or they wouldn't be making them...

22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Well I just like the natural look to it. Analogue is beautiful... It has depth,etc......

Nope it was from a local channel in my area.. It was shown UNEDITED .. (There were 5 breaks during the movie but nothing was cut out)

Before this some months ago I found a copy recorded off Cimemax I think (analog cable) and that one looked horrible!! (Like they were showing the digitally re-recorded one)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Grand_Ennui and Vahan like this.
  23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

With a few exceptions (like the recent Netflix "Stranger Things" series) I usually have the same problem. I think E.T. was one of the few "youth oriented" films I saw that I really liked. But I haven't seen it since 1982 when it was first released.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I haven't seen E.T in a long time but wasn't there a scene where E.T gets drunk and uses his psychic powers to make Elliot drunk too? I can't imagine that would fly in a kids movie today (but it's a really funny idea for a scene). :)

Grand_Ennui and Vahan like this.
  25. Todd Fredericks

No one said she was a perfect parent...... :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.