Bob Dylan: Never-Ending Covers (Cover By Cover)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Thanks for tracking this one down!

Amnion likes this.
  2. RayS

"Dolly Dagger"
    NET Premiere - 3/18/92, Perth

Bucky Baxter joins the band as '92 kicks off with an extensive tour of Australia. Dylan provides an amazing 4 NET premieres at the Perth show, three of them covers and two of them (including Dolly Dagger) career one-offs.

"Dolly Dagger" is a bold choice for Dylan to cover and interesting to hear, but in the end Hendrix covering Dylan works better than the other way around.

No online link available, to my knowledge.

Hendrix's original performance - live video intercut with cheezy 80s style MTV video

3. RayS

"Little Maggie"

Directly after the live premiere of "Cat's In the Well" (which would get nearly 300 NET performances), Dylan one-offs this traditional that would later appear on "Good As I Been To You". It was acoustic there, it was done electric in Perth. And yes, Dylan never performed the song live after its release.

Dylan favorites The Stanley Brothers:

Another Dylan favorite, Doc Watson: Little Maggie by Doc Watson »

highway likes this.
  4. RayS

"West L.A. Fadeaway"

On July 12, 1987, at the third Dylan & The Dead show, Dylan joined The Dead in the encore for "Touch of Grey" from their "In The Dark" album.
    (Grateful Dead 7-12-87 Giants Stadium East Rutherford NJ » - go to 3:00;20)

About 5 years later, Dylan breaks out another "In The Dark" track, which would get 10 NET outings all told (happy to say I saw 2 of the 10 in person).

Here's the last of the 10, featuring Phil Lesh joining in on bass (with another prominent NET cover, "Not Fade Away" as a bonus).

During the 2003 "Summer Getaway" tour that saw the surviving "Core 4" of The Grateful Dead reform as simply "The Dead", their high profile opening acts would join them on stage for a couple of numbers each night. Dylan filled that slot for a number of shows, and "West L.A. Fadeaway" was one of the songs performed. The entirety of this tour was issued on limited edition CDs, but alas, Dylan's performances were excluded (rendering the CDs of the shows he appeared at incomplete, and close to useless).

In a short while we'll be getting to yet another "In The Dark" track - Dylan covering "Black Muddy River". Dylan, clearly, was a "Touch Head". :)

5. RayS

"Little Moses"
    NET Premiere - 3/21/92, Adelaide

Dylan dabbled with this song during rehearsals for Rolling Thunder '75 (included in "Renaldo & Clara"), and mentioned in an interview that he had performed it back in his days at Gerde's Folk City. After this performance, it quickly became a regular inclusion in NET set lists, getting nearly 100 plays in '92-'93.

Audio of an unidentified performance:

If you prefer video, you can opt for this post from earlier in the thread: Bob Dylan: Never-Ending Covers (Cover By Cover) »

No doubt about the influential version here, as Dylan identified it as a Carter Family song in interview.

Carter Family version: little moses original carter family »

6. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Great thread idea! You're about to get to my favorite one methinks: "Female Ramblin Sailor." (I like the 4/5/92 version in particular.)

RayS likes this.
  7. RayS

As predicted ...

"Female Rambling Sailor"
    NET Premiere - 3/21/92, Adelaide

Dylan wound up performing this traditional 6 times, all in 1992. Unfortunately no online link for a Dylan performance could be located.

I can't claim to have known much of anything about this song (apart from it being a traditional) before exploring the Internet. Of course it doesn't require any research to see how the song shares some thematic similarity (the female entering the male domain of the sailor) to "Canadee-i-o" (she dons a blue jacket in both songs) and "Jack-a-Roe" (she exhibits bravery beyond her male counterparts in both songs). The "Roots of Bob Dylan" web site suggests that Dylan learned the song directly from Sally Barker, who opened some shows for him in Germany in 1991 (Female Rambling Sailor (trad./Sally Barker) »).

Sally's version was released in 1992 on her album "Beating the Drum".

Although the song may have Irish or British origins, it definitely made its way to Australia, which appears to be the first place that a recorded version was collected in 1946. Here's that a capella performance by Jack McNally. This performance is not for the faint of heart, sound quality wise. (D30B - archival cassette dub : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive » on "Side A" at 6:40) The song's Australian pedigree may have been the inspiration for Dylan to give it a go in Adelaide.

8. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favorite NET covers.

RayS likes this.
  9. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Dylan played Spike Jones on Theme Time Radio Hour, and while I can't remember the comments he made, they were fairly positive, so there's a chance.

Episode 61: Countdown »

RayS likes this.
  10. RayS

"Black Muddy River"
    NET Premiere - 4/6/92, Melbourne

Dylan wound up performing this Grateful Dead tune just 3 times (all in 1992).

Dylan fakes his way through a good chunk of the song's lyrics, often repeating small passages that he remembers or doing the "I'm Not There" trick and imparting emotion to near-nonsense. IMO, it all works. He pulls off the song very nicely, and I would have been happy for this song to have made it into the regular rotation.

The original: Grateful Dead - Black Muddy River (Studio Version) »

11. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Norma Waterson does a lovely version of this song.

joeym3 and RayS like this.
  12. RayS

"Don't Let Your Deal Go Down"
    NET Premiere - 4/13/92, Sydney

When a tape of this show arrived in my mailbox 24 years ago, back when the Internet was an itty bitty baby, this opening number left me a bit perplexed. It had the refrain (well, almost) from the Garcia-Hunter song "Deal", along with some other sometimes difficult to decipher lyrics. Could Dylan be faking his way through THAT much of a song? The answer, of course, turned out to be "no" - Dylan was simply performing the traditional song that had likely provided the inspiration for "Deal". Dylan performed the song 6 times, all in 1992.

The song dates back to at least 1925, when it was recorded by Charlie Poole & His North Carolina Ramblers: 1207 Charlie Poole - Don't Let Your Deal Go Down Blues »

It's possible that Dylan became aware of the song through Flatt & Scruggs:

A contemporary performance by Doc Watson: Doc Watson - 1991 - Don't Let Your Deal Go Down »

The song was apparently part of Dylan's repertoire back in 1961. Note that some versions of the song share a verse (more or less) with "Kingsport Town".

And lastly, "Deal", performed by The Grateful Dead: Grateful Dead - Deal (SMOKIN HOT) »

highway likes this.
  13. RayS

"Lady of Carlisle"
    NET Premiere - 4/14/92, Sydney

The final encore the next night in Sydney, a career one-off, also (probably coincidentally) had a strong Grateful Dead connection. Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia took this traditional and reworked it into "Lady With a Fan", which became a part of the suite "Terrapin Station".

Hunter's version of "Lady of Carlisle":

"Lady With a Fan" by The Grateful Dead: grateful dead - lady with a fan »

It's nearly certain that Dylan was aware of the song long before Hunter got to it, however.

A 1963 performance by Ian & Sylvia: Lady Of Carlisle »

This performance appeared on the "Four Strong Winds" album.

[​IMG]

Apart from containing a cover of "Tomorrow is a Long Time", and songs also in Dylan's early repertoire ("Jesus Met the Women At the Well", "Poor Lazarus", "Every Night When the Sun Goes In"), there are THREE songs that Dylan covered during "The Basement Tapes" sessions - "Four Strong Winds", "Spanish is the Loving Tongue" and "Royal Canal" (aka "The Auld Triangle"). Guessing Dylan gave this one a few spins back in the day.

Muddying the waters a bit, perhaps, is the fact that "Don't Let Your Deal Go Down" and "Lady of Carlisle" were BOTH recorded by The New Lost City Ramblers (as was another NET cover, "When First Unto This Country").

Lady of Carlisle: The Lady of Carlisle »
    Don't Let Your Deal Go Down: Don't Let Your Deal Go Down »

highway likes this.
  14. RayS

"Delia"
    NET Premiere - 4/15/92, Sydney

Dylan's third night of four in Sydney, and the third NET premiere cover (this run also featured the live premieres of "If Not For You" and "Sally Sue Brown", and the unfortunate NET premiere of the mangled shadow of "Union Sundown"). This song was in Dylan's repertoire back in 1960, and was of course eventually recorded for "World Gone Wrong". There is one other pre-release 1992 version (L.A. 5-14), then one post-release performance at one of the Supper Club shows (which I was lucky enough to attend). The song was resurrected for 4 outings in 2000, and finally one in 2012 (below).

Las Vegas, 10-27-12:

Some interesting history on the supposed true story behind the song: Delia Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

Blind Willie McTell's version: Delia - BLIND WILLIE McTELL, Blues Guitar Legend »

A riveting performance (with video, beginning/ending a bit clipped) from 2000: Bob Dylan, Delia, Soldiers Grave,CountryPie, Doorway ,Newcastle Upon Tyne, 19.09.2000 »

15. RayS

"The Girl on the Greenbriar Shore"
    NET Premiere - 6/28/92, Gothenburg

Dylan only performed this song twice (this show, and the next, at Dunkerque). The latter performance was included on "Tell Tale Signs".

Carter Family original:

Ralph Stanley version: Girl From The Greenbriar Shore Ralph Stanley »

subtr and highway like this.
  16. RayS

"A Hazy Shade of Winter"
    NET Premiere - 7/1/92, Reims, France

Dylan takes his third dip into the Paul Simon songbook ("The Boxer" on "Self Portrait", and "Homeward Bound" on the '91 NET). He opens the shows with it on 7/1 and 7/2, and then it is never heard from again.

Video of the 7/1 performance: Bob Dylan in concert - A Hazy Shade of Winter - Video Dailymotion » (not embeddable)

As you can see, this performances dates from the two drummer era, which kicked off in late April of '92.

S&G lip sync on TV:

Perhaps Dylan is also a Bangles fan? Their cover was a major hit in 1987. The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter »

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  17. RayS

"The Roving Blade"
    NET Premiere - 7/1/92, Reims, France

The Reims crowd gets a second premiere in the acoustic set.

Dylan has performed the song 3 times on the NET - 1992, 1998, and 2000.

Video of the Reims performance: Bob Dylan 1992 - The Roving Blade - Video Dailymotion » (not embeddable)

Audio of 1998 performance in Belfast:

This song has more names than Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard, and likely dates back to the 1700s.

A potential influential version:

The Newry Highwayman - The Johnstons »

A version by The Dubliners: The Dubliners - Newry Highway Man - YouTube »

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If Bob ever gets tired of Sinatra covers, he should do an album of Paul Simon tunes.

19. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

It 's likely that Dylan heard it from Paul Brady as he was a member of The Johnstons.

I was at the Belfast show. A double header with Van Morrison. Given that it was a home town gig for Van, he came on after Bob. Many people were caught out - not me - and arrived late to the gig expecting that Dylan would be headlining.

RayS likes this.
  20. RayS

21. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

That just topped my holy grail wishlist.

If I may veer a bit with something I suspect plenty of folks on this thread may know and/or find interesting. Singer-songwriter Steve Goodman, like Kris Kristofferson, was key to John Prine's ascendency to under-appreciated American treasure. In 1973, Goodman released an album called Somebody Else's Troubles. Several songwriting luminaries including Prine, David Bromberg, (pre-"Margaritaville") Jimmy Buffett, singer Maria Muldaur, and Bob Landy all contributed. Never heard of Bob Landy? Mr. Landy went by many names, including Jack Frost, Blind Boy Grunt, Lucky and Boo Wilbury as well as, cheekily, Robert Milkwood. According to Searching for a Gem, Landy sang harmony and played piano on the title track. Probably too much to ask but I'd love if Mr. Landy would plink some keys on the new John Prine duets album.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress.

RayS likes this.
  22. RayS

I think Mr. Landy is buried pretty deep in that mix. :)

It's a bit surprising that Steve Goodman isn't on the long list of Dylan contemporaries covered on the NET.

This song reminds me of a quote from Mel Brooks regarding the difference between tragedy and comedy:

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”

IronWaffle likes this.
  23. RayS

24. RayS

"Red Hot"
    NET Premiere - 9/8/92, Little Rock

Dylan welcomes to the stage "one of my heroes", Billy Lee Riley, who sings lead on his signature song

Some Dylan comments on Billy Lee and "Red Hot" from last year (Bob Mehr's Memphis Music Beat: Bob Dylan on Billy Lee Riley »):

But Dylan’s most heartfelt words were saved for Sun Records’ overlooked giant,Billy Lee Riley. Riley, who died in 2009 at age 75, is perhaps best known for his classic 1957 single, “Flyin’ Saucers Rock & Roll” — a rockabilly number inspired by the era’s U.F.O. mania — which birthed the name of his band, the Little Green Men. That year, Riley also released the equally memorable rave-up “Red Hot.” On Friday, Dylan spoke at great length of his first exposure to and eventual friendship with Riley. “He was a hero of mine,” said Dylan. “I’d heard ‘Red Hot.’ I must have been only 15 or 16 when I did, and it’s impressed me to this day. I never grow tired of listening to it.”

Despite a promising start, Riley’s commercial fate was sealed after Sun put its promotional efforts behind Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Great Balls of Fire” — a song Riley played guitar on — which zoomed up the charts and past “Red Hot.” “He would have been a bigger star but Jerry Lee came along,” noted Dylan. “And you know what happens when someone like that comes along. You just don’t stand a chance.

“So Billy became what is known in the industry — a condescending term, by the way — as a one-hit wonder. But sometimes, just sometimes, once in a while, a one-hit wonder can make a more powerful impact than a recording star who’s got 20 or 30 hits behind him. And Billy’s hit song was called ‘Red Hot,’ and it was red hot. It could blast you out of your skull and make you feel happy about it. Change your life.”

During his speech, Dylan recalled, somewhat wistfully, his latter-day friendship with Riley. “He was on a rockabilly festival nostalgia circuit, and we’d cross paths now and again. We’d always spend time together. … Never got tired of watching Billy Lee perform, either. We spent time together just talking and playing into the night.”

"Red Hot" also made an impression on The Beatles, who included it in their live repertoire: The Beatles - Red Hot (Full Version) - Live at the Star Club »

subtr likes this.
  25. RayS

"I Can't Be Satisfied"
    NET Premiere - 10/25/92, Providence

Back in the Fall of 1978, Dylan inserted Muddy Waters' "I'm Ready" (long before some advertising genius figured the song could sell E.D. medication) into the opening slot for a lengthy stretch of shows. Twenty-four years later, he does the same with Muddy's "I Can't Be Satisfied", which 9 outings in October/November in the opening slot.

I'm Ready: Muddy Waters - I'm Ready »

I Can't Be Satisfied:

No online link for a Dylan performance, unfortunately.

Here's an interesting Rolling Stones performance, as Mick shows off his slide guitar skills while Ronnie's in the bathroom.

The Rolling Stones - I Can't Be Satisfied - Live OFFICIAL »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.