Vice Principals (Danny McBride) on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vertigone, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is anyone else watching this show? I know there were some Eastbound and Down fans around here.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to go into plot summary other than to say that McBride and Walton Goggins play, you guessed it, vice principals, aiming for the same promotion. If you're a fan of McBride's perpetually aggravated persona, and Jody Hill's sensibility, you should find this enjoyable. It took me a couple episodes to really get into it but I'm fully on board. It's comedy, but cut with a bit of darkness, like Eastbound and Down.

quicksilverbudie, Rupe33 and mikeyt like this.
  2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I know Danny McBride is an actor. And I know he plays a role. But...the majority of roles he chooses are skin crawlingly hard for me to watch. I enjoyed him in Tropic Thunder. And I loved him in End of the World. But other than that...I'm out.

Ghostworld and GodShifter like this.
  3. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

I missed Eastbound after it finished. So far this show is pretty good.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I watched three episodes of this and just quit. Its basically Kenny Powers as a vice principal. The premise kind of sucked and I found it pretty annoying overall despite Walton Goggins being one of my favorite TV actors.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I disagree with your first statement.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It's true, he's not really an "actor" and he never actually intended to be one. Though you should see him in a dramatic role in All the Real Girls, a drama directed by David Gordon Green from 2003. He's a talented fellow.

I dig the show. It's nothing great, but it's fun and I find it funny. The laughs are a nice reprieve following The Night Of.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's alright I guess. McBride doing a more normal and toned down Kenny Powers but Goggings has just a supporting role which was a bit disappointing

8. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I've read, more than once, that he isn't really like that at all. That in real life he's a genuinely warm and nice guy. And that he's developed this on screen personality acting like the bullies that used to pick on him. I don't know this to be factual. But it could be so.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it.

Scope J likes this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Dito

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I watched him being interviewed by Bill Simmons and he seemed like a genuine, sincere, and intelligent guy. I have no doubt he's not a good dude and well liked amongst his acting buddies, but he plays one dimensional characters that are pretty much the same in too many movies and tv shows.

George P and Chris from Chicago like this.
  12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Before reading this thread I wondered if McBride would be playing the same general character he always seems to play. Sure sounds like it. Though that may be an oversimplification, can't say for sure until I've seen it.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He basically is. Foul mouthed, bad tempered kind of dumb guy who's kind of a loser. As said, he's Kenny Powers lite.

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I am finding this show quite funny. Goggins is superb.

15. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it a lot, too.

The shifting tone is unusual -- some episodes are over-the-top bonkers, while others are more seriocomic -- but the writing and performances are excellent.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

They're smaller roles, but he was different in "Up In The Air" and "The Heartbreak Kid".

GodShifter likes this.
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Goggins is always worth a look. There's definitely lots of chemistry between he and McBride.

Scope J likes this.
  18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I struggled to get through the first episode.
    I described it to my friends as a neutered Eastbound and Down.
    They stuck with it and keep telling me to do the same as it apparently gets a lot better.
    I will give it another try at some point.

19. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Love Vice Principals as much as Eastbound and Down, very funny. And, he went to film school so I think he must have been on some creative path.

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

It's a fun, minor show. No need to dissect it. Enjoy it for what it is, especially compared to all the garbage on every night. I wasn't crazy about Eastbound, as they seemed to try too hard to be outrageous. Loved him in "This Is The End."

mikeyt likes this.
  21. I enjoy this show. As others have noted, Goggins is a standout in this show. McBride's character is actually showing some growth as the series moves on.

22. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm digging this show as well....more than `Eastbound And Down'. I wish that Busy Phillips' role
    was expanded, though. Don't know what that is all about - virtually a cameo every episode....even
    though I find it difficult to believe that McBride's character was married to her!

JackBnimble likes this.
  23. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Very weird finale even for a show as all over the place as this was. Liked it just wish Goggins was given more to do. Would be easy to tag this as Eastbound Kenny Powers becomes a vice principal but McBride allowed Gamby to show some depth at least compared to Kenny. Hope it gets renewed. Outside of HBO's promos haven't seen anything about it.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  24. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Season 2 has already been filmed and the series will end after 18 episodes, so we're halfway through it.

25. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. Since its already been filmed are they going to wait till next summer to air it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.