Any Sloan fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I discovered Sloan completely by accident a few years ago thanks to a tiny review of their The Double Cross album in the back of an issue of Mojo.

These guys are amazing! How did I not hear of them until then?!

Between The Bridges is one of the most perfect albums I've ever heard, it's a top-to-bottom classic.

Action Pact got me sucked into them though with the great riffs and the catchy songs.

Pretty Together is just wonderful, imo, despite not being quite as perfect. Have you ever heard such a perfect rock riff as in "If It Feels Good Do It"?

Navy Bridges is a wonderful blend of 60's pop stylings with their 90s rock sound...

Never mind their other albums which are all excellent as well - this is one of the rare bands that truly does not have a poor album.

SLOAN!!!! :)

2. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

My favourite is Never hear the end if it. Amazing album from start to finish.
    Sounds like a modern Abbey road's side 2 x 4.
    One of the best contemporary power-pop ever made !

3. warewolf95

Agreed! It's taken me a while to "get" that album because of all the short songs and all, but when I got it it was great. :D Have you heard the new album Commonwealth? It's jsut as good, imo. :)

jalexander and Revolver like this.
  4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

They've never made a bad record and they're still going strong. I'm seeing them in November.

Chemguy, bhazen, factory44 and 2 others like this.
  5. Canadians converge!

Sloan rules. One Chord to Another is fantastic. If you can find it, A Sides Win: Singles 1992-2005 is a great introduction.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hammerpeg and warewolf95 like this.
  7. warewolf95

Have you heard the 4 bonus cuts from A Sides Win? Great stuff!

8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Absolutely, I love Sloan. Never made a bad record IMHO, and criminally underrated. I don't know if I could pick "a" favorite, and I've been on board since Smeared.

factory44, smiley69 and warewolf95 like this.
  9. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

Great band and they keep going, they've been around since I was in high school.

factory44 and warewolf95 like this.
  10. warewolf95

How would you gauge their popularity, mainly in Canada, now vs the 90s?

Are they still "as popular" like Oasis stayed in England? Or are they "forgotten" to an extent?

11. warewolf95

Holy crap just bought a ticket to see them in Atlanta in November thanks to you! Best $22 I've ever spent :D :D :D

12. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Yes I've got them all too. I find Commonwealth nearly as good but the "each one his side" doesn't make it work as well as NHTEOI, imo. The Pentland side is a bit subpar and the long Scott track isn't easy to digest :D

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have bought everything they have done on CD, including their Japan releases with bonus tracks**, luckily I don't have a turntable or their limited vinyl stuff would kill me. :)

** The bonus stuff might still be available via their "B-Sides Win" mp3/FLAC download on their web page.

factory44, lightbulb and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Chris Murphy and Andrew Scott especially shine on Never Hear The End Of It. Excellent album.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. lamf1983

lamf1983 Forum Resident

Have loved these guys since seeing them all the time on MuchMusic back in the 90's ("Everything You've Done Wrong" and "The Good In Everyone" were in HEAVY rotation).

I'm with you guys on Never Hear the End of It as favorite -- they had consistently put out so many good albums and singles up to that point, I never expected my mind to get blown even more!

I'd definitely be going to the Bowery Ballroom show in October if it wasn't my baby's due date!

factory44, smiley69 and warewolf95 like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

PF

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I've been a fan since Peppermint EP (saw the video for "Underwhelmed" on MuchMusic). Top 3 albums for me are Navy Blues, Between The Bridges, Never Hear The End Of It (extend to Top 5 and I'd include Twice Removed and The Double Cross/One Chord To Another (shoot, can't decide)).

I don't agree with forum members above who state that they've never made a bad record. Yes, Action Pact and Pretty Together are weak but I have NEVER warmed to Parallel Play. Looking at the track list now I can't remember a single song. If anybody is a fan of this album in particular I would be interested to find out what they consider the highlights are because I usually just play this album from the beginning and quickly lose interest.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    warewolf95 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

I'm a "surface" fan of Parallel Play in that I enjoy it just fine when I'm listening to it but can't remember much afterwards.

19. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Brilliant band. I first discovered them when "Underwhelmed" got some video rotation. I liked the song but disliked the arrangement - so early '90s alternative rock, with the distorted guitars etc. Later I bought Twice Removed out of curiosity and was blown away by two things: firstly, great songs but, shockingly at the time - clean electric guitar sounds. It seemed like a radical concept at a time when (as far as I could see) the two-step path to alt-rock success was grow your hair long and crank up the overdrive.

One Chord to Another was also solid and Navy Blues another classic, with more of a hard-rock element mixed in there. And so it continued...

For me the two best things about this band are - the tunes (some artists overlook the importance of a strong melody) and the presence of multiple singer-songwriters who complement each other.

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

My hometown boys!

21. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I was introduced to Sloan when, on a hunch, I picked up Smeared from a used bin in Starkville, Mississippi numerous years ago.
    That hunch paid off with some cool music.

22. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

One of the first concerts I ever went to. They were touring "Smeared" and played at the bar at the top of my street. It was amazing.

23. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Underwhelemed got a ton of airplay on 89X just across the border back when I was in college, always loved that song.

Twice Removed
    is an incredible record — an almost perfect indie pop gem. I still play that one pretty frequently.

One Chord to Another hits some nice places and I'll listen to it now and then, but I don't listen to anything past that by them.

24. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Not sure how much play you gave Navy Blues, but you might want to revisit that one again. That was my own cut-off point. (I have dug anything I've heard by them since, but just hasn't connected with me as strongly)

octaneTom likes this.
  25. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

And now, get this : tuns » new Chris Murphy parallel band ! Enjoy !

alylemoss, gottafeelin and eelkiller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.