Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Ok, I watched this and this is my opinion of the movie.

It was a convoluted mess and I wanted to jump into my TV and crush Jesse Eisenberg. He has to be the most irritating actor ALIVE today! And Superman not Laser Beaming him into dust in the rooftop scene was just plain stupid. Way to many plot holes in this one for me.

Plus, that giant thingamajig monster they were fighting at the end, created by none other than Eisenberg (he must of had some kind of mind control going on throughout this film cause everyone around him was dumber than a box of rocks), was the absolute worst end of a movie villain EVER!

The bright spot? Wonder Woman...SHE was actually Bad ASS and not a wimp like Superman.

Scott222C and Simon A like this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I agree.
    Superman may be the good guy, but shying away from hurting the sadistic psychopath who threatens to kill his mother is beyond believable. Yes, he said he doesn't know where Martha Kent is and if he kills him, she will die too. But if he started tearing of some of his fingers or other limbs, Luthor might have gotten on the phone and told his minions to let her go. Narcissistic villains are rarely willing to suffer or die for their plans.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought Suicide Squad was pretty bad. I mean it wasnt horrible but it was just not a well put together movie at all. Pretty lame characters (especially The Enchantress) and premise was ultra stupid and, yep, it was just a mess overall.

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. ShardEnder

ShardEnder Senior Member Thread Starter

Unlike its two predecessors in DC's cinematic universe, Suicide Squad only fails because it's tonally inconsistent - you can literally see where executives interfered with David Ayer's vision, and I suspect he only continues to vocally support the movie because of what Marvel did to Josh Trank after his take on Fantastic Four was similarly ruined by suits with no right to have creative input. Compared to Dawn of Justice especially, Suicide Squad at least tried to bring something different to DC's formula, which is already doomed by killing off Superman just two films in. Seriously, how little faith does Zack Snyder have in the Man of Steel to consider that a good idea, or does Jon Peters still have more influence than we originally thought?

Tree of Life likes this.
  5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We plan to rent the blu-ray of BvS. Two questions: 1) Is it important to see the first Superman movie before viewing BvS? We haven't seen it. 2) Is the extended version of BvS a better movie than the theatrical version?

Thanks

6. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Not essential at all, the beginning of BVS essentially gives you the important info you need from MOS and I think overall, the extended version gets the nod over the theatrical version. More story points expounded on but that being said, I don't think it really changed anyone's overall self grade of the movie per se.

GodShifter, Tree of Life and Veech like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Likse
    Like most comic book movies (and I assume comic books in general)...is it important? No. Should you? Absolutely. Makes a nice 5+ hour superhero party.

I'd say so, particularly if you haven't seen the film before. It's not by a lot but there's just enough more context, particularly to the villain's plot, that it helps to watch the longer cut instead.

David Campbell and Veech like this.
  8. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Fox, not Marvel. :) Aside from that, you have a point.

Simon A and Vidiot like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

fitzysbuna, DiabloG, Rasputin and 2 others like this.
  10. GodShifter and David Campbell like this.
  11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I doubt he even saw the movie,or any Superhero genre movie. His quote seems to be a general slight against the genre and likely used BvS as an example because either the interviewer brought it up or he used it because of the critical consensus against it to make his point about out of control budgets not always being worth the money spent , which isn't a bad point to make btw. But the spandex quotation gives it away because none of the characters wear spandex in that movie,or most of that genre anymore.

cwd likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let's not forget Mel starring in The Beaver.

David Campbell likes this.
  13. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

http://io9.gizmodo.com/geoff-johns-on-the-future-of-dc-movies-relax-were-cha-1786394751

n the past, I think the studio has said, ‘Oh, DC films are gritty and dark and that’s what makes them different.’ That couldn’t be more wrong,” Johns told The Wall Street Journal. “It’s a hopeful and optimistic view of life. Even Batman has a glimmer of that in him. If he didn’t think he’d make tomorrow better, he’d stop.”

Not sure tone is the issue. The Nolan and Burton Batman movies were dark and gritty and great. The Schumacher Batmans and Green Lantern were lighter and generally accepted as horrible. Marvel's relatively lighter movies do well, and their grittier Netflix TV shows are fantastic.

If WB/DC just tweaks the tone and nothing else, imo they will still pump out disappointing movies.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Green Hornet was also absolutely horrible, almost unwatchable by humans. And I gotta say, as much as I whine about WB/DC Comics movies, the Flash TV show is OK, and the Gotham TV show is pretty good. I was very surprised that they were as good as they are. I still don't like the Supergirl show. And on the Marvel side, I think Daredevil is absolutely fantastic, as is Jessica Jones, and yet both of those are fairly dark, bleak, violent, and downbeat shows. There's been some moments in Daredevil that I guarantee you would get an R rating for violence -- like The Kingpin smashing a guy's head in a car door about 20 times in a row.

The problem to me with Batman vs. Superman is not that it's a dark, downbeat film -- it's that it's kind of all over the place, doesn't make a lot of sense, the characters are inconsistent, and it's a very negative, downbeat kind of world. Having seen the Blu-ray in the last few weeks, I can say I think it has some moments that are pretty good, but we're talking 45 good minutes out of almost 3 hours.

My opinion is yes, you should see Man of Steel first, and yes, the extended version is a better film than the theatrical version... but not by a lot. I don't think the rental companies like Netflix have the extended version for rent (yet).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

batman vrs. superman - the worst movie I think I've ever watched.
    ****house film.

DiabloG likes this.
  16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Tone itself isn't the issue, it's having a tone for the sake of doing it along with a fundamental misunderstanding of what actually makes the story work. That's what Johns is saying. Like if you wrote a comedy about a dog that was a big hit, so I decided to make a comedy about a dog, except that all my jokes were really low-brow and stupid whereas your jokes were really clever and witty. Then my movie fails and I don't understand why.

80sjunkie likes this.
  17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thought it was somewhat decent. I have the Blu-ray but have only watched the regular version with my 2 boys, ages 7 & 11. I need to watch the unrated extended edition to see if my youngest can deal with it.

Pat

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I watched the theatrical version on Vudu, recently. Several really great scenes in there, but just a messy movie overall. A lot jammed into one movie, some weird editing decisions and the script needed to go through another few drafts, imo.

One of my favs (/s) was the "I thought she was with you" line. The guy has been interacting with her on and off throughout the entire movie and suddenly you seem to forget her? I don't think so.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

He wasn't interacting with her as Wonder Woman. Assuming he knew who she was when she showed up as Wonder Woman, his interacting with her has no bearing on whether or not he knew she was working with Superman.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

He knew her costume already, given the WW1 picture - so, given that he's a great detective and all, he probably would have put 2 + 2 together.

So his reply to Superman makes zero sense. Unless he's a complete idiot.

21. David Campbell

Actually it does make sense. Given what little Bruce knew about Superman,and once he figured out Diana was immortal,he likely just assumed Superman and Wonder Woman were on the same side and working together as they were both metahumans.

For all he knew,Wonder Woman was Kryptonian too. Thus why,when Diana showed up to save Bruce's ass,quickly followed by Superman,he thought they were together.

GodShifter and Stormrider77 like this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Doesn't matter - he already knew who she was. Once he realized Superman didn't actually know her his reply would have been something along the lines of "not exactly" or "it's a long story". He would want to give him at least a clue that he at least knows this stranger (to Superman) at least somewhat.

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We watched the extended edition BD the other night and thanks to my low expectations we enjoyed it. Of course there were issues such as the bombastic music score, the silly "Martha" bit and Jesse Eisenberg's odd portrayal of Lex Luthor among other things. Still, it was enjoyable for a popcorn movie.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Havent seen this yet, but this is what draws me to it. I'm sort of half still half repulsed by Ben Affect for his mightily jawed bravado in his younger years. But he's ironed out nicely. And Selma!

25. David Campbell

Affleck has become a much better actor and an even better director. The guy used to come off like king of the douches and I couldn't stand him,but he does good work. He is certainly one of the better Batman portrayals and certainly is the modern comic book Batman made flesh in terms of looks.

I know I'm in the minority,but in my opinion Eisenberg's Lex one of the truest portrayals of the character in live action. Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey are much more the type and better actors,but Eisenberg's Lex,nervous tics and weird mannerisms aside,is leagues closer to the modern comic book Luthir than either of theirs. Still doesn't hold a candle to Michael Rosenbaum and John Shea's Lex's in terms of complexity (Rosenbaum) or Menace (Shea's) but he is better than some say.

At least he isn't pulling off another lame land scam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.