Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Is that the same guy who wrote 'In The Tradition'? If so I'm interested.

2. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Marzz, Lonson and dennis the menace like this.
  3. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Crispi, thanks for taking the time to post your comments on these Mosaic sets. I guess most of them will be sadly out of print, but I may try and get the Jimmy Giuffre set. It's a pity they don't do downloads, though.

As for Roland Kirk, I also hope they end up releasing the set on CD

crispi likes this.
  4. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

:hugs:

Jacline likes this.
  5. drasil

drasil Former Resident

Henry Grimes. I'm not even sure how to describe that. 'muffled?'

it sounds like you're hearing it from behind--from his perspective. it's kind of brilliant.

also brilliant: this thread. it's no surprise that it's attracted a lot of good people and great posts so far. I might even take up some space to wax on about Alice Coltrane or something when life here calms down for a minute. thanks, Lon.

Marzz, jiffypopinski, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Especially since a few of those artists Ive never listened to :thumbsup:

Lonson likes this.
  7. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

He's in his 80s with respiratory problems. I saw something on facebook about a week or two ago, and he's just not very active at all, and I think it's due to his health not being good.

8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Get ahold of Pat Martino 'Live', it has a killer version of 'Sunny' by Bobby Hebb and it's not a great stretch for a rocker to appreciate.

9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Somebody mentioned Sifter with Mary Halvorson in tis thread, so I went to YouTube and happened on this. Listening to it now and lovin' it:

10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Have you ever checked out 'Out Louder' ? It's Scofield with Medeski,Martin & Wood. I love it, especially the live bonus disc on(IIRC) a Japanese issue.
    I actually went to see the Allman Brothers one time and Scofield was a guest. He must have played a good 45 minutes with them and he sounded like he'd been in the band for years.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and Aggie87 like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Listening to The Prestige All Stars "All Night Long". Varied instrumentation on this. I have to say I like Kenny's playing best of the big 3. I like Wes next and then Grant Green. Im just not as big a Green fan as many on the forum I dont think. Its differen to hear so many different instruments on a jazz album. And each player definitely has a destinct style and tone. I like this album.

Starwanderer and Lonson like this.
  12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't have much Henry Grimes, but he's on a lesser-known Roy Haynes release called Out of the Afternoon with Roland Kirk and Tommy Flanagan. Great lineup; great disc.

As for Alice Coltrane, all I can say is:

13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Yes - I've got all of the MSMW recordings - A Go Go, the 2 disc version of Out Louder that you mentioned, the other live album they released - "In Case the World Changes its Mind", and Juice. I think they're fantastic together (and separate).

I would've loved to have seen Sco sitting in with the Allmans, that would be wild. I know he's done a number of shows with Phil Lesh & Friends and also Gov't Mule (their live album together, "Sco Mule" is worth picking up) in the past. I've seen him live a number of times, but never with MMW or in a more "jam" atmosphere like with the Allmans.

14. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Great thread! Lots of artists I'm already interested in & can't wait to dig more into. Right now I'm listening to the MM Somethin' Else. Man what an endlessly rewarding album that always seems perfect no mater what your mood is. Love Hank Jones on this one

15. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I can't lie to you...and the great thing about this thread is that I can talk about my love for Gentle Giant. I've been on a prog rock "phase" this summer, revisiting the music of GG, King Crimson and Yes. Love this music. Did you read the big Jazz yellow book ?

16. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The Sco Mule stuff is excellent!

j4yheindeo and Aggie87 like this.
  17. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Here's HJ with Tony Williams and Ron Carter:

18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I too had my fingers slapped for daring to suggest discussing jazz related topics on that thread. Glad to see this thread working well
    I found a mint Columbia 6 eye at a garage sale for 50 cents.
    That was a good day......love this record too.
    Modern and traditional sounding at the same time.

Jacline and Lonson like this.
  19. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Wow, thanks a million for sharing this. Simply fantastic, I had no idea these three phenomenal musicians worked together

PHILLYQ likes this.
  20. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Great stuff. Is there anything with Tony Williams and Ron Carter that's less than brilliant ?

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

At a tiny bar in Paris I ran into a barkeep who loves 50s French jazz as much as his booze. Both excessively so. He introduced me to some of Barney Wiley's music. Love the sound Barney gets. A bit harnessed but wonderfully inventive
    I bought a bunch of his stuff the next day on vinyl on the French Sam records label
    That label has stuff available in the us and Canada at acoustic sounds.
    High quality reissues.

Marzz, cobbler, crispi and 2 others like this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

When I can, I'll comment on Henry Grimes - a very interesting & polarizing figure, for sure

Just finished the on the edge of insanity, reality and/or genius: the immense recording called Dragonfly Breath (on not two records) which is the name of the band:

Paul Flaherty: tenor & alto saxophones
    C. Spencer Yeh: violin & voice
    Steve Swell: trombone
    Weasel Walter: drums

And yes this is jazz. Not like anything that existed before or since except something like when they get a rare gig, one of which I found my way to - which by some sort of intervention actually happened, be it finally, incredibly started very very close to almost starting too late to actually happen. Glad it happened, but I don't think it reached the heights of this priceless (to me) recording.

Now if I ever get a chance to tell that story,,,,,

Tarantula, baby

23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think Ron Carter has worked with every. single. jazz. musician. ever.

24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Not even close. There are many many great jazz musicians that he's never played with. He's become involved with only quite conservative environments for multiple decades hence why he's not worked with most of the great innovators and improvisors of this music of the last 4o years.

jiffypopinski likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How long have you guys been listening to jazz?

Ive only been at it maybe 8 yrs and not heavily until three years ago. I can barely remember the main players much less whole bands and whom they've played with like many of you can lol. Im barely able to keep up with 20s-60s jazz much less any modern bands or players. Im always amazed at the knowledge and exposure you fellas have had.

Did you get to see any famous artists from the 50s, 60s or even earlier?

I remember watching some jazz classics video where the lady was talking about how she saw Lady Day in small clubs. And that she would come over to the bar and chat. I just cant imagine that.

David Ellis and Chazzbo13 like this.