Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

If one person interrupts another while speaking, the first person stops talking before the second one starts.

Hearing electronic sirens before electronic sirens were invented.

Scenes inside a theater with a movie showing. The light from the projector blinks with the regularity of a metronome.

Drivings scenes where the driver saws back and forth on the steering wheel like he was driving in the Olympic Slalom event.

Can you think of anything else?

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Making remake after remake?

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

When I see a movie set in past times, the cars always seem to be new looking for that era.

Lownote30, a customer, CDV and 13 others like this.
  4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

Just thought of another one.

When a phone rings (the kind with the bell), the sound of the phone stops the microsecond the receiver is lifted, with no lingering bell reverberation.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Younger, sexually attractive women who inexplicably want to be with older, not particularly attractive men.

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Making movies in foreign countries that are supposed to be set in America.

7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Whenever they depict someone using a computer. Like opening up software and operating it solely by typing.

8. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

1. The good guys can outrun explosions.
    2. When the good guy and the good girl are fleeing for their lives, they hold hands.
    3. When a car stops, the brakes squeak super loud. This is pretty rare in real life (and always was, although not as rare as today), but happens more than half the time in the movies.
    4. Being hit in the face hard enough to knock you unconscious has no lingering effects.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a big one for me, too. You see shows like Agent Carter, and every single 1940s car visible looks brand-spankin' new, no dust, no dirt, no dents, no nothin'. Way too "pristine."

Or they're trying to break into a password-protected government agency or a bank or a foreign power. The guy sits down at the keyboard, clicks about 25 times, then triumphantly says, "I'M IN!" Naaa. The reality is that it could take many hours, even days, to crack somebody's password. They're shown this on Mr. Robot several times.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

First thing I thought of.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Another one, I think good looking teeth are a product of modern dentistry yet in the movies even medievals often have perfect teeth.

12. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

The sound of squealing tires on pavement when the car is on gravel or a dirt road.

13. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Good one. I'm wondering if it may be that using a mouse has virtually no sound effects and is visually boring. Typing has better sound and action.

14. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

This is one of the most common ones.

a customer and fr in sc like this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Scenes with characters holding "loaded" revolvers with no rounds visible in their empty chambers.

JFS3 likes this.
  16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Orange and teal?;)

Dyland, mbd40, McLover and 15 others like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Maybe these guys have got "game"...and a whole sh*tload of money.

18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Yep! I don't think that's exclusive to Hollywood either: ever see those old dudes in speedos on the Riviera with the girls in bikinis?

Lightworker and Dudley Morris like this.
  19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Me?

mbd40, Steve Carras and Malina like this.
  20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

All fight scenes are completely ridiculous. Someone who knows how to punch can break your nose or your cheekbone or your jaw or ribs with one shot. I've seen it happen.

That happens in real life all the time, for whatever reasons.

21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Every time a space ship fires a lazer, it makes a sound. Sorry, but such things don't make sounds in space.

New York and California are not the only two places in the U.S.

Kids in most films from back in the 50s and 60s were really polite. In many cases, they were seen but not heard.

A gun has a limited amount of bullets that can be fired without reloading.

Women don't look like that naked or clothed.

Kids films always talk about the importance of dreams yet they forget the part where you actually have to do something to make them come true.

22. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

What's wrong with that?

;)

Jimmy B., a customer, Frosst and 2 others like this.
  23. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

There is always a parking spot ready and waiting 24/7 in front of every building in New York City whenever a character just happens to need it.

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Or making movies set in another country but everyone speaks perfect American English

25. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

No matter what time period in the past or country the film takes place in, the actors speak UK English