Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Have you seen Trump's wife? Or mine?

CDV and Steve Carras like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Where do I start?

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That, and the tires squeal when slamming to a stop or peeling out on rain soaked pavement and dirt roads alike. Just dumb as hell.

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's one of those things that always sticks out to me - if you watch enough movies or TV you'd think that hitting someone in the head is a magic bullet that puts them to peaceful sleep for an indefinite period of time but leaves them virtually undamaged afterward. And heroes, even non-super-powered ones, can take multiple injuries of this type and still remain virtually unharmed. It seems to me that any real person who took that kind of punishment that frequently would be either dead or severely brain-damaged.

5. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

How about the good guy chases the bad guy the whole film. But when the bad guy holds a gun on the good guy at the end, he has to take forever to explain everything. Just shoot him.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wrong "?
    Endless inferior remakes.

7. dkmonroe

Yeah, even slightly more efficient bad guys would win every time. But they either have to flap their jaws until the good guy can regain the upper hand or put the good guy in some elaborate slow trap that's supposed to kill him horribly but only gives him opportunity to escape. :laugh:

sami, EdgardV and Alan G. like this.
  8. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

While there are tons of examples, the first two that come to mind:
    • Wild Wild West (TV)
    • James Bond films

a customer and dkmonroe like this.
  9. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

YES! Lots of 'em!

10. dkmonroe

I can't remember an example, but it seems to me that I've also seen non-campy examples of this sort of thing as well. I think it may have been on 24 or something like that. I remember thinking, "Come ON! This is a 1966 Batman TV series trap you're setting, and he's certain to escape it!" :laugh:

EdgardV likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, no, I say that's the one thing Hollywood has gotten good at pulling off. Oh wait, you mean in the movies...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  12. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

There is a very generic and over used storyline I see in films. Three films I can name off the top of my head are RV, Evan Almighty, and Click ;however, many other films use it.

Father is a workaholic. He has a beautiful wife (who more often then not is a housewife) and several kids. The kids are upset because dad has to work all the time and has no time for them. At the end of every one of these films, dad learns his lesson and chooses his kids over work. Usually at the end the dad gets a reward where he can still work and be with his family while at the same time gets to tell his boss where to stick it.

If someone doesn't work, having a place to live and food to eat becomes a problem. I have never met anyone who complained that dad works to much. They are to busy playing video games and spending his money to care that much.

I also don't see to many housewives around. I'm sure they are still there but in fewer numbers. Most families have two working parents.

Telling your work off to be with your family usually gets you fired.

blivet, MrCJF, DHamilton and 5 others like this.
  13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Employing Nicolas Cage.

barfko, EdgardV, Jerquee and 6 others like this.
  14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Ending telephone conversations. Movie (and TV) characters often just seem to stop talking, and hang up. There's no goodbye or formal end to the call.
    Also, when two characters make plans, like for dinner, they rarely specify a time. It's just like 'I'll see you tonight' or 'I'll meet you after work'. It's like everyone intimately knows everyone else's daily schedule, or else everyone has their meals at set times.

15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

So true, and it applies for every city in the world. I suppose having a character drive around in circles, becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of parking spots, and then having to walk 20 minutes to their destination doesn't make for exciting cinema.

16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

That irritates me a lot. I've watched two otherwise brilliant TV series recently (The Affair and The Missing) which both had scenes where a much younger, attractive woman (a total stranger) pretty much throws herself at the main character (in both series, a man in his 40s), and then in the next scene we cut to them in bed. I'm sure it's been known to happen in real life, but it's such a clichéd TV/movie situation. Like, it seems highly unlikely that if I went swimming in my local pool (The Affair) or sat on a bench in Montmartre, Paris (The Missing), within minutes an attractive young woman would be throwing herself at me. But in the imaginations of screenwriters, that seems completely plausible. :sigh:

SomeCallMeTim, bpmd1962 and Gumboo like this.
  17. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Maybe the screen writers are all male and in their 40's. ;-)

Russ_B66, CDV, groundharp and 4 others like this.
  18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Characters living in houses/apartments that they could never afford. See Friends et al.

Characters who are muscular or physically fit who never exercise or work out.

groundharp, lance b, Suncola and 7 others like this.
  19. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

And they seem to always be sitting in the dark. Because, like, you can't find stuff out on the computer if you have a lamp on.

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Even as a kid it used to bug me in old westerns when someone was shot by an arrow and died instantly - no matter where they were hit.

Its not as blatant anymore but it does still happen to a degree in action films (with gunplay).

21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

What I'm noticing in many of the Brit Masterpiece Crime-type programs is the disappearance of clergy persons. Bodies and bereaved spouses, parents etc everywhere, obviously burials to take place, but very rarely religious figures.

Maybe that's being written out of script in Hollywood too, I don't watch many movies.

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

When someone hangs up a phone on another character, we hear a dial tone. That never happened in real life. (This has become less-used in the cell-phone era, I believe.)

Every street and sidewalk at night is wet, but rain never figures into the plot.

There are many US states that only have license plates on the rear of cars (Florida and PA, for example), yet movies allegedly set in those states might show vehicles with front license plates.

arley, utopiarun and Suncola like this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not hiring forum member "Vidiot", to make all the wrong things being done in Hollywood for years, "look and sound, right".

24. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Every car crash end with an explosion.

groundharp, aroney, lance b and 6 others like this.
  25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Someone needs to make a movie with ALL of these elements- it's a hit I tell ya!!