Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Maybe it's the moment, but I think Giles reeled this one in from bootville and into the cannon. This is something I will listen to in the future, which was never true of the '77 LP.

2. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

To tell the truth,Capitol,who'd commissioned George Martin to Record them tried 3 Times to please the label,the Label even going as far to print Lp covers and Booklets that were complete in the Night's Pictures,but when They'd heard it,they were aghast,saying "We Can't issue this,it's way too noisy!",and Rejected it! (They were going to issue the Whole August 29,1964 Concert at the time,btw.) Talk about jumping the gun a bit!

3. mr_mjb1960

Picture is on Page 30 of this Thread,btw.

The Beave likes this.
  4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Capitol never commissioned George Martin to record The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl and he never did.

Kermit27 likes this.
  5. mr_mjb1960

Well,then,Who?

6. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I just want to be sure that everyone has now safely backed off the ledge based on the positive reviews. Oh wait, the movie is coming out next week, back to the ledge! ;)

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Capitol commissioned their Los Angeles recording staff (headed by Voyle Gilmore) to record the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl. Simple as that.

goodiesguy, spinout66, Grant and 4 others like this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the fact that the album was released years after the band broke up, rather than during Beatlemania, contributes to the sense that it's not part of the canon -- it's CANON, people -- as well as that it came out during that 70s period when Capitol and/or EMI seemed to have free reign to put together throwaway Beatle product in a way they didn't have before or since.

However, it is an official Beatles record with unique content (as opposed to recycled), put together by the Beatles' producer. So I don't think it should be swept into the dumpster of history with Love Songs and Rock & Roll Music and that movie songs album.

9. mr_mjb1960

Ah,OK then! See,if Martin had been producer,He'd called this "A Lost Cause".

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Apple marches to its own beat. I doubt they regret anything. I'm glad remixes weren't issued 20 years ago. They'd probably sound pretty crappy.

Rocco likes this.
  11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

More like lack of imagination on the new cover art. A hype sticker tying it to the film would have been enough! :agree:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Could we please stay on topic and avoid bickering/personal attacks?

Thanks!

aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

But a Beatles "fringe" release will sell more and have a longer shelf life than even Elvis, Zep, Stones, U2 etc "fringe releases", now that is a fact :righton:

Rocco likes this.
  14. Wingsfan2012

With the release date today and now 7 years ago since the big remasters reissue campaign, this thread is over flowing.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  15. Wingsfan2012

I just got notification that my Amazon order arrived. The "Hollywood Bowl" CD, some Chicago style pizza and a loud music playing night is ahead!

Ram4, broccolid, Rocco and 1 other person like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Canon or cannon?:

[​IMG] ;)

17. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

playing it now.......awesome, gives me the chills at times. Good stuff! Been a Beatles fan from the beginning.:agree:

18. Wingsfan2012

Babs was tough but the Hollywood Bowl CD just knocked her off as #1 physical sales for "Hollywood Bowl". The vinyl "HB" comes in at #100 and it is not out for 2 months.

BeatleStair and Rocco like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sounds a bit fuller than I remember - I played the '77 LP to death so it's practically burned into my brain.

Wingsfan2012 and Rocco like this.
  20. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I bet Ozzy Osbourne has his copy already!

Too many exciting moments to mention. All the books in the world can't describe what this CD does. Judging by pre-reviews, the movie is much the same.

As far as Ron Howard's name on the cover, why not? Great director, beloved actor and the Beatles have always said there in it to sell. Its called smart promotion to the masses, IMO.

Yovra likes this.
  21. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Wondering if Vinyl was released simultaneously if it would have a shot at number one. Either way, not bad for 50 year old concerts and a re-release from almost 30 years ago! BTW who is buying the Babs stuff. I am all about open mindedness just not sure I understand the market. I guess its the same people that give there old vinyl to thrift stores that make me shift through 10 BABs vinyl lps?

22. Wingsfan2012

Waited 30 years for the CD and almost 40 years since the original release. #1 will not happen in two weeks but top 10 is definitely a chance for "Hollywood Bowl".

Babs sold almost 150k of her latest duets album. Huge sales and I would guess 90% or more physical product for her. Not a fan, but good for her!

23. Wingsfan2012

The vinyl release right at the start of the Xmas shopping season was no mistake, a second life in sales and on the charts will happen 2 months from now because of that for "HB". Probably also coinciding with the "Eight Days A Week" Blu-ray/dvd coming out that same day!

Robber Soul likes this.
  24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Where are you getting this information? It's not what I've read.

It wasn't Capitol's doing that it didn't appear earlier. Bruce Spizer said in his books that Capitol wanted to issue a live LP in 1964 and again in 1966 (when there was going to be no Christmas release in the US), but the Beatles braintrust kept it from happening.

Capitol had no qualms about issuing live LPs with screams. The Beach Boys Live LP went to #1 in late 1964, and the one track I heard from it had screams galore. All Capitol saw was $$$, and a Beatles Live LP in the '60s was guaranteed $$$.

aoxomoxoa and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  25. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Just picked up a copy from Zia's they had maybe a dozen copies, will give it a listen tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.