Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It might be, but not by much if so. Just a fully sound, maybe more compression used now versus then. Possibly a situation where this could work to the recording's advantage?

[EDIT - nah, compression likely isn't much different either. Could just be comparing formats more than anything else. But the 77 LP definitely sounds a little thinner than this remaster to me]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I managed to get a copy at Best Buy... But I was so confused by the store's layout that my wife had to ask an employee to help us find it.

389 Tripower and Darrin L. like this.
  3. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I paid for my copy on Best Buy's site and had it waiting for me at the local store. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD in a store, and I have long learned my lesson about taking a chance by walking in and hoping it'll be there. It sounds pretty good compared to the original album, great performances throughout. I am going to re-edit the "show" and simply put the bonus tracks all in a row right after She's A Woman (but before John starts talking) with crossfading. I love the 1-2-3 punch of Twist and Shout/She's A Woman/You Can't Do That before any talking. You have George's other song now earlier in the set, and Dizzy Miss Lizzy is a good uptempo song to follow the slow Baby's In Black. So that's what I'm doing with my copy.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bonus tracks are noticeably weaker performances to my ears, so I like them last. But I might edit to end with I Want To Hold Your Hand.

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but you know when a book is made into a movie and the publisher releases a mass market paperback with a new "movie poster" looking cover that is always terrible and inferior to the original. That's what the front cover of the new CD reminds me of.

I will defend the rest of the booklet, though. They did include George Martin's original liner notes from the back of the 1977 LP. There are a decent number of pictures that relate to the shows. David Fricke's essay is succinct, as usual.

The front cover of the original 1977 LP is okay, but the rest of the package left a lot to be desired. The only picture of The Beatles is covered with mindless memorabilia (and a sealed Playtape). The inner sleeve had close-ups of screaming girls. Yeah, I get that there were screaming girls and Beatles concerts, but do we really need close-ups of them?

Yes, the shameless movie promotion is not welcome, but the rest of the package seems good.

As for the sound:

I like the sound of the CD better. I hear The Beatles playing more. I can particularly hear the guitars better.

I can see how those with a preference for analog would prefer the sound of the original LP. Tastes will vary.

I will be more interested to see fans' preferences between the original LP and the new one in November.

coffeetime, Simon A and Smartin62 like this.
  6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Hah...I had the same problem. How foolish of me to think it would be in the "new releases" section.

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It's a soundtrack album, tied in with the movie. If there wasn't a movie, we might not have gotten the album, so the music release cover mentions the movie, just like most movie soundtracks .

Look at it this way: The US Help! album had movie info splattered all over the front and back of the album and to a lesser extent the US A Hard Days Night album did also . Cross promotion isn't exactly new then when it comes to the Beatles. :D

8. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Ha! It was in a special new releases section at my store -- way off to the side of the entrance.

After we looked around for a while, my wife said, loudly and to no one in particular, "I need someone to help me find something!" (You gotta love southern women.) And a blue shirt appeared and took us right to it. He admitted the store layout made no sense, told us he'd suggested changes, and that no one listens to him.

EddieMann likes this.
  9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It might seem odd, however, since Paul announces that Long Tall Sally is the last number.

But I am also giving consideration to edit the four bonus tracks into the main set, to produce one seemless "concert" that flows from start to finish. The trick is just deciding where to place those four tracks.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I haven't followed the thread enough to know if it's already been mentioned, but this is a perfect analogy. It's like reading The Hobbit or The Great Gatsby with the movie poster on the cover. Well maybe not that much of a classic, but the same idea

I find the original US album cover probably more iconic than any post-breakup release, and really wish they kept it. But I can always put the disc in my bootleg mini-LP packaging.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the booklet. I'm listening to this on Spotify now and really like the sound, and might get the disc now with that in mind.

Simon A and dlokazip like this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No the vocals weren't drier. But the type of ambience was very different.

Simon A likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Got my copy today!

I put it on and cranked my Bose system, right out the gate I noticed the Boom of McCartney's bass!

I have so many thoughts about what I'm hearing that I almost don't know where to start!

First off, Giles Martin deserves high fives from everyone! The sound improvement cannot be denied, the vocals on this album come thru loud and clear! In fact the entire band comes thru!

This album absolutely ROCKS!

She's A Woman is absolutely bad to the bone! The Beatles are tight, hot and laying it down! It is absolutely amazing that they were this tight and played this good under the conditions they were in. Anyone who says the Beatles weren't a good live band is just wrong!

Dizzy Miss Lizzy is Heavy Metal in 1964! When Lennon screams the Beatles are taking no prisoners, this is absolute hard rock, in fact this is one of the hardest rocking performances I've ever heard of the Beatles! What Giles Martin has done allows you to really hear the band, and man what a hard rocking band the Beatles really were!

One of the things I always hold against all of the Beatle tribute bands is they don't really rock as hard as the real Beatles.

The sound is just so much improved, listen to Harrison's guitar solo in Roll Over Beethoven, now you can hear it so clear!

Ringo's drumming can be heard much better.

McCartney's vocals shine in Can't Buy Me Love !

As I said, I love the boom of McCartney's bass behind it all! I've always thought that you should be able to hear McCartney's bass, Giles Martin deserves credit.

I could go on and on about the songs, but I'll just say they were right, this does bring the thrill of a Beatles concert! The improved sound let's you really hear how powerful and absolutely hard rocking the Beatles really were live!

To me, this is a must have album, what they've done should change how anyone looks at this album now! This album isn't the stepchild anymore, these are absolutely hot hard rocking performances that sound better than they ever have!

I like the four additional songs as well, I really love Lennon's vocals on You Can't Do That!

I am actually excited, this sounds way way better than I was expecting! I still don't like the cover, but this has easily become one of my very fave Beatle albums!

To my ears, this is a proper and very very good live album!

13. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have found that going to the New Release Kiosk right at the entrance is the easiest way to find a new release. It is very easy to miss because the cds are hidden on a side corner, giving it the impression of a dvd section.

14. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...I also have a beautiful, Japanese mini-lp replica of the'77 release so that helps take away some the sting of not having the original artwork.

mmars982 likes this.
  15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It's a good point.

The film may have provided the excuse that they needed to release it. Otherwise, they may not have felt it was worth releasing on its own merits.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  16. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Take a long look at putting them all in a row after She's a Woman (before John intros Dizzy). I think it works and makes it easy.

Kermit27 likes this.
  17. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think Giles sort of turned down the Lennon harmony (She's a woman who loves her man, she's a woman who understands)...does not sound so dubbed in as on the 1977 LP (I don't know if that is an overdub or not).
    I think I miss the 77 version.

However Lennon's guitar does a drone on Ticket To Ride that I never noticed on the old album. Lennon's guitar shines on the whole cd.

Paul's descending notes on the quiet parts of the Roll Over Beethoven are awesome.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

As soon as can I rip this baby into the computer, tag it, and archive it, i'll listen to it. From the few comments i've read, it's gonna be good! This is going to the first time i've ever heard this album.

Damn! freedb has this all f%&* up! Now I have to tag it all and submit a new one.

coffeetime likes this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Ahh. Yes, that's it!

Kim Olesen likes this.
  20. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Sounds like my house.

supermd likes this.
  21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

A really lost oppurtunity to not release a proper soundtrack of the documentary, many rare audio around, and they release this, of course, i like this new version, but release this show as a soundtrack is non sense.

nowhereman87 likes this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

By the time I got to my local Target this afternoon, there were only three copies left. I got one. I hope my buddy, who was supposed to go there with me after work got one.

23. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The Beatles are one of my favorite bands but I've never sought out this album. Is it essential listening?

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

npc210, It is now!

As I said earlier, what they've done with the sound is just amazing!

Get this one, don't even hesitate!

Put it on and crank it, The Beatles will rock you as only they could!

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

npc210 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.