Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

I think I'm definitely in the minority here, but I don't like what he's done to the vocals. Sounds like he's taken off all the bottom end and added lots of reverb. To be honest, I prefer the vocal sound on the bootleg I bought in 1972, on Freedom Records, it was called Live At Shea (typical bootlegger mistake).
    Otherwise, the new mix sounds just fine. But on Ticket To Ride particularly, the vocals are mixed way too low

YourMainDude likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wish they would have used the 1977 album cover, or a variation of it.

3. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

I noticed that on the vocals as well but held back from complaining too much. (didn't want to trigger anyone...)
    There are stronger moments in the handling of the vocals that shine but overall - to me - not great.

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

... and there's that too ! :righton:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

So after my initial listen of the Hollywood Bowl tracks, the first one to go by my 2300+ Beatles playlist was the You Can't Do That bonus track. Overall the screaming on that didn't kick in loudly until the end when they finished the song. Pretty pleased to hear a track come up from the Hollywood Bowl set on my playlist a day after it has been out.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, the mics were working perfectly on Twist and Shout, so the issue was a fader down one not 'unplugged'.

Kim Olesen and Simon A like this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Not all. It has John's brief vocal harmony intact.

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That'll be because bootleggers are the only ones who care about us fans and put the music first...

funkydude likes this.
  9. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Big adjustment to make.

Glad to hear the crowd separated and mixed down, but my analog ears got used to something else over the years.

The boot is more complete. I've been listening to it for so long nothing sounds right here.

Somebody push my reset button.

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I Feel Fine were never particularly good performances on those recordingd. And one night has all the backing vocals missing. I Wanna Be Your Man has so much drumming in the vocal microphone that it may just be impossible to make a good mix and none of the recordings has Pauls backing vocals.

Simon A likes this.
  12. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes - I'd say the 1977 mix has a bigger/longer reverb but mixed lower in volume, whereas the new remix has a shorter reverb that's mixed louder.

Yosi, dee and Simon A like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Well reverb is always difficult to quantify....

14. Kim Olesen

Has anyone found out which version of Everbody's trying to be my baby was used?

15. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Useless release for me
    Never cared for the original anyway.
    Just bring on the Let It Be movie and stereo remixes of the albums!

16. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

August 30th 1965

Kim Olesen likes this.
  17. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

All I can say is Ho Hum!!!

18. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

SHM in the post!

19. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I'm with you. I've never been one to bark loudly for them anyway, though.

After the 1+ release, I was really left puzzled by the choice to remix these songs. They had a whole layer of sonic film subtracted from them allowing us to REALLY hear the songs, warts and all. "Eight Days A Week" outro is an absolute mess. Everything seems too defined and doesn't really have a glue in there anymore to connect all the parts. Granted, we've been listening to these songs for over 50 years, but it didn't feel right.

And on this new Hollywood Bowl release...

I really don't like the mixes. The crowd is the crowd. We knew what we were getting with that. My real problem, though, is with Paul's bass. It sounds hollow, processed, and WAY too loud. I still prefer my bootlegs and will listen again today.

The real winner as far as presentation points go is Ringo. He has the most energy on stage, even vocally. George is sloppy, Paul is Paul - steady and solid. John sounds tired and ready to get back to the hotel. But Ringo...I can see why he was so popular when they first arrived. His energy is absolutely electric. I've forever felt that his playing here and at the DC 64 show was enough to silence the critics, but it's just reaffirmed here. So, so good.

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

When I played the new CD yesterday, 'Ticket To Ride' stood out as having sub-par vocals. I don't think I'd want those any louder.

Frank likes this.
  21. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I agree. It will be the only CD in the Beatles catalog that does not have the original cover.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The MidnightBeat/ReproMan CD's still sound great in comparison to the new issue which I think is pretty screechy sounding and fake. I don't understand why people think that they needed to improve the sound of the original Voyle Gilmore tapes that are perfectly reproduced on the MidnightBeat/ReproMan discs. All this bull about "not being able to hear the band over the screaming" is absolutely untrue. The MidnightBeat/ReproMan stuff captures the actual vacuum tube recorded sound of the concerts.

urasam2 and GetRhythm like this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Strictly speaking, the reissue of 'Live At The BBC' is not the same as the original cover either (though it's only a case of losing the brown tint, replaced by straight B&W).

24. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Just picked up the cd. Sounds great. It's the Beatles...shut up!
    (thanks to Sir Paul...).
    PS. Cover is dreadful. Like some promo/ ad for Ron Howard.

Clanceman likes this.
  25. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

And that isn't even the best one. "Rock & Roll At The Hollywood Bowl" easily tops it, and has a great copy of the original album too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.