Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

10AM Fabs time!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  2. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Even John's Emotional Breakdown during "Help!" was Classic!

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

agree. And that's why they are served right being bonus tracks.

Archtop likes this.
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I think this live version of ETTBMB is better than the studio version!

The Beatles just attack the song more.

I don't think Lennon has any kind of breakdown during Help, it sounds more like he was laughing at something or someone.

ShowsOn, Wingsfan2012 and Rocco like this.
  5. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I love how they are rocking and are so tight as a band IMO.

I also love the introductions to the songs love to hear their speaking voices introducing the songs - especially John. What a fantastic character he was.

6. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

And sorry call me materialistic, but I want to have something to show for my hard earned money, not just space on a hard drive. Long live physical media!

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

When I was 13 I thought John was jokingly telling the screaming crowd to drop dead - "Go away without life, will ya?" Yeah, I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it was the best I could figure out. The "light" went off for me a few years later.

8. Wingsfan2012

Some still feel that this album sounds better than even the 9-9-09 remasters?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I believe John was saying,"No Way That's Live,was it?",But I could be wrong...

10. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Someone saw any TV commercial and posters about this release in stores?

11. RayS

It's "Go away with that light, will ya?" (Spotlight man apparently accommodates him). Oh, thank you."

Jimbo62, Dinstun and Simon A like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ah crap, I apologize! I totally forgot about seeing Ringo warbling "I Wanna Be Your Man!
    To make up for it, please feel free to take any record from Arnold Grove's collection free of charge. Tell him I said it's OK. :D

Here's the songs they did at "my" show:

1. Rock and Roll Music
    2. She's a Woman
    3. If I Needed Someone
    4. Day Tripper
    5. Baby's in Black
    6. I Feel Fine
    7. Yesterday
    8. I Wanna Be Your Man
    9. Nowhere Man
    10. Paperback Writer
    11. Long Tall Sally

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

What remixes? They were remasters.

bobcat likes this.
  14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Talking about the Beatles live, I know a lot of people want the Shea concert, but me, I want the Washington concert on official blu-ray!

15. Wingsfan2012

yes my post was corrected :)

slane likes this.
  16. Wingsfan2012

A live box set like Elton and the Stones have done in the past- "Washington DC, Shea, Budokan, and Rooftop". If we will never get "Let It Be" on Blu-ray/dvd, lets at least get the concert in 5.1!

soundQman and The Beave like this.
  17. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Yeah, what a charmer!

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I drove to the mall some 10 miles away specifically to buy this at Newbury Comics. Absolutes are absolutely only one thing, and that sure isn't absolutely spot on.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

I would love if someone had or found the article 30 years ago where it was strongly rumored that "Hollywood Bowl" was going to be the 1st Beatles CD ever released. A full year before the whole "20 years ago today" campaign in 1987. My memory was it was reported in either Billboard or Goldmine?

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

Someone posted a while ago about some of the Lennon-McCartney songs not being listed as being published by Sony/ATV. Well, on my UK edition, all L-Mc songs have that assignation. Is it different on US copies?

And remember me saying that the 4 bonus tracks should theoretically now be in the public domain, as the recordings haven't been issued within 50 years? I mentioned that publishers Sony/ATV have been reported as withholding mechanical licenses to PD labels who want to use out-of-copyright sound recordings. But how would that affect cover versions like the 'Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby' bonus track? Well, my CD shows that the song is now published by MPL, so that solves that problem too.

Simon A likes this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

What gets to me is the arrogance some have nowadays by saying "I don't buy CD's anymore" almost as if it is beneath them or so "uncool" to actually buy CD's or vinyl now in 2016. That drives me nuts! At the very least support the local music shops which are still very important!

905 and Archtop like this.
  22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It doesn't drive me nuts, but I buy significantly more CDs and LPs in stores as opposed to online. Well, except for Dylan and Grateful Dead, who skew the market.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  23. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

I like the album. I'm 32, so the original album has been out of print for most of my life and I've never heard the "official" version. I sort of wanted to track down an original when I recently got my turntable, but now that it's out on CD, I don't HAVE to, though I might just for the collection. I've heard the bootlegs, and of course they are good performances to listen to, but it's very nice to have the official product without tape or acetate noise or whatever. It's a fun album and I hope they release more live recordings in the future. I don't care that other recordings aren't multitrack - everything on the Anthology passes the test for me, so bring on those mono recordings originally made for TV or radio broadcast!

One last word about the cover - my main beef is with the movie title being so large (and the fact that it's there at all). I don't like the photo picked for the movie and album, but I can live with that choice and from a marketing perspective, I understand wanting to mirror the movie's artwork. I was wondering what the spine and the CD face itself was going to call this album. I got my answer yesterday: The Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl. No mention of Eight Days a Week. SO WHY IS IT ON THE COVER OF THE ALBUM!!!???!! As I said a while back, they could have had a hype sticker with the title of the movie explaining the connection, and that's just what they did, making the huge (ugly) mention of the movie on the actual cover completely unnecessary. Ron Howard's name has no place on the cover of a Beatles album that he had nothing to do with the production of!

Sigh. I'm trying to calm down and get over the stupid cover and I think I will now that I have the music, the thing that counts. I like the album. I'm happy, I really am. Hearing The Beatles live is a really great experience. They're a really energetic, fun live band. (Ringo is awesome!) Thanks Apple, for putting this out.

mikaal and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

Copycat cover from the Howard movie aside, without that blurb in the middle of the cover, it is a cool cover! The bad cross advertising makes it seem that the Howard movie is about the Hollywood Bowl?

[​IMG]

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  25. RayS

Paul has owned the publishing for a prime collection of Perkins songs since 2003. Though I wouldn't be shocked if he purchased publishing for a specific release like this.

Simon A and slane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.