Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Marantz Reference gear doesn't appear to be very popular these days. Their product line has been thinned out over the past few years. My collection of Reference gear has been growing at a rapid pace since 2014, does anyone else here share my enthusiasm?

2. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I'd love to have some Marantz reference units as Marantz is my favorite stereo brand; I've had a Marantz unit of some kind in my house since I was a kid. I just don't have $5k for the PM11S3 I'd like to have in my room. I bet those Ki Pearl pieces have held their value.

Are those reference pieces desirable by enthusiasts? Reliable?

You have a collection of Marantz reference gear? :drool:

Bingo Bongo and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I wish they'd still sell the gold versions to Americans.

I think the lack of popularity has to do with audio psychology. Some buyers experience cognitive dissonance when it comes to buying a $4000 amp from a company that also makes $400 A/V receivers. Put the same innards in a boutique brand and charge more and they'd likely sell better.

Sneaky Pete, jusbe, LitHum05 and 7 others like this.
  4. Love the Marantz Reference gear! I heard some of the components when they were first released and was blown away. Perfect sound signature for my ears (ever so slightly warm of neutral) and I'd been clamoring for one ever since. Luckily enough I came across the Ken Ishiwata 30th Anniversary PM-KI-Pearl integrated amplifier a few years later and had to have it. So I bought it and haven't looked back. I have #82 out of 500 units worldwide.

Enthusiasm shared! :love:

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I think that this is partially true. I also think that Market saturation is another factor. If you already own a reference piece from a couple of years ago, then why would you need to upgrade?

I've thought about upgrading my Marantz AV Preamp/Processor in my HT setup. But its really hard to justify since this unit is already so great, and I will get so few new features that I will care about for so much more money.

gd0 likes this.
  6. bradleyc

The champagne finish is nice, but my preference is black. My first Reference piece was a champagne SA-15S2 from Hi-Fi Heaven in Green Bay 5 or 6 years ago. My only other champagne finish was a NOS PM-15S2 from a dealer in Florida to go with the SA-15S2. Also have a SA-15S2B Limited and an SA-KI Pearl from Hi-Fi Heaven, Marantz yanked their Reference-level dealer privelages after that due to selling outside of their territory. Since then I've purchased locally, all current models. I've seen some barely used PM-11S3's for sale on Agon and eBay for $2500 to $3000, also know where to get 10%-20% off retail from authorized dealers if anybody is looking...

tyinkc likes this.
  7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Love my Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD player!

[​IMG]

jusbe, NOS300B, garrincha and 23 others like this.
  8. Sweet! :)

I don't do digital on my main system, but the SA-KI-Pearl would sure be a nice match!

9. bradleyc

Just like your Pearl amp, these Pearl players are so very pleasing to the ears.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I have the SA15s2 in the champagne finish and I love it. I prefer the champagne over the black however.

11. bradleyc

The champagne finish SA-15S2 is what got me started with Reference gear. A local shop had one in a system with Maggies playing Patricia Barber - Modern Cool,
    and I've been hooked ever since.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I had the pleasure of listening to that Pearl of Eriks recently some Steely Dan, and some Joe Jackson sweet Marantz matched with some great gear, real nice Erik.

I own the SA 15S2 in Black, I also love me some Marantz gear.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

^ THIS ^

14. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I adore my Marantz gear. I have a PM11S3 and and SA11S2. They look and sound beautiful. I also have an SA8400 CD player in my living room and a PM MKII 17 amp in another room.

Every time they bring out a new model I get excited. Very underrated brand beyond their budget range.

bradleyc and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. Great sound, great bang for the buck. Wondering if the upcoming 10 series may be the last that KI has a helping hand with.

16. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed but I think it cuts both ways. People might be more likely to buy the $400 AVR and feel it is a value if they can experience the brands reference level.

SandAndGlass and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  18. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

It be cool if Marantz just went ahead and reissued the original 7 except to today's standards.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Marantz getting back into the tube business would be pretty fantastic

OhioGraySky, jusbe, Tim 2 and 6 others like this.
  20. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Well the new PM10 and SA10 are supposed to be the successors to the 7 (Marantz Legendary Line)....a little out of my price range.

I absolutely love the Marantz reference line made in Japan though. Marantz does have a house sound to it, but that is the original house sound of Marantz going back to the 1960's, and if you like the sound, then all is good! And you will have a hard time finding a better value than the reference line in my opinion.

Personally I am saving up for an SA11S4 (that is I need an S3 with the DAC options of the 15S1 for future flexibility.) The upcoming 10S1 is out of my price range...so hopefully one of these days we will get an updated 11!

jusbe, bradleyc and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  21. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Not in your lifetime. It wouldn't pay for them to enter a niche mkt.

22. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

They did back in the 1990's. They contracted with VAC to re-make them as absolute replicas of the originals. I bought a Marantz 7C, an 8B, and a pair of 9's back then. They still sound and perform wonderfully. I don't think that it was a profitable venture though. I bought the 9's at a bargain basement price from AudioAdvisor on closeout.

jusbe, McLover, tom1040 and 3 others like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed that it is unlikely but I think there is some business logic to having a limited production of something that generates some earned media for being awesome. Kind of like Ford making a Shelby GT 350, they sell more 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs because of it.

F1nut likes this.
  24. russk

russk Forum Resident

They made that deal VAC back in the 90s to painstakingly reproduce the 7, the 8b, and a pair of mono blocks. Those were some beautiful pieces. I would settle for them doing that again and maybe making enough of them so they could drop the prices a bit.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. ElvisRocks

ElvisRocks Well-Known Member

Maybe you can explain the description Reference for the newbies? Are you referring to a particular line of Marantz products called "Reference"? Or individual units of the higher end variety?

Dennis0675 likes this.