Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

It didn't matter anyway, as the earliest performances included were from 1963, and so were still in the 50 year limit in 2013. So those recordings got protected regardless.

Simon A likes this.
  2. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just gave this a listen at loud volume through my 5.1 system playing as "all stereo" in the system which gave it a very nice surround sound effect as well as bass through two sub-woofers. What an incredible artifact. The fact that these performances happened before 1966-67 happened makes it ever so so special. I enjoyed the show, they played well and conquered.

I have three vinyl copies of the original album but don't remember them sounding so good. It's a shame these shows weren't' filmed. Just imagine.

ShowsOn, Bowie Fett and Simon A like this.
  3. Greyrat

Greyrat Forum Resident

You owe it to yourself to seek out the complete Sweden 10/63 show, the Melbourne Australia 6/64, and the blackpool shows. Fantastic performances and sound.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Emotional breakdown during Help? With all due respect, might you be reading into it just slightly?

5. RE: your comment that the concert was not filmed-

Not sure if this is legit , but I figure someone here will know - enjoy
    • [​IMG]
      The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles on 23 August 1964
      youtube.com2:33 2 years ago
      More

olsen likes this.
  6. In case you did not get this one on your CD -LOL

(this is a splice job, right?)

• [​IMG]

• The Beatles - I Feel Fine (Hollywood Bowl Aug 29,1965)
      youtube.com2:18 3 years ago
      More

7. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The date is wrong. This is from the Aug 30, 1965 concert.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I just finished listening to the copy I bought today at Target and was very pleased with it. Giles did a good job scaling back the audience screams and boosting the sound of the band.

ShowsOn, Clanceman and Simon A like this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There's a handy dandy MPL Publishing web site complete with search engine, and access to complete performances.

Search for music - Music Licensing - MPL Music Publishing Inc. | MPL Communications | MPL Communications ยป

I didn't do anything resembling an exhaustive search, but it doesn't appear to me that Paul has particularly targeted songs covered by The Beatles (with the obvious exceptions of the Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins catalogs).

Clanceman, slane and Simon A like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Burned a car cd that includes this followed by

If I Fell - Hollywood 64
    I'm A Loser - Paris 64
    Songs not on this release from Budokan versions
    Rooftop final DLMD and GB

EddieMann and Paperback Writer like this.
  11. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

I LOVE IT!!! SURE BEATS THE OLE 8-TRACK!!!

ShowsOn, Clanceman and Simon A like this.
  12. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Back in the 70s I had this on 16mm. It's silent footage, the whole show was filmed by ABC TV. The audio was added and synced later by ambitious amateurs after the bootlegs surfaced.

Paperback Writer and Simon A like this.
  13. [​IMG]

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Of course, you mean:
    I'm A Loser - Paris 65

15. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I might remaster it a bit with a slight bump at 10k and 2k and raise the vocals 1 or 2 db just to make it more vintage EMI sounding. :hide:

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Oh no! The Target version sucks .
    The Best Buy CD is my go to version for this release .

:D ;)

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Having never heard or owned the original 1977 release, I quite enjoyed playing the new album this afternoon. Finally an official Beatles live album in stereo! A few minor quibbles aside, its pretty good live recording for the technology/conditions in 1964-65. Gotta say though, it takes some time to get used to the constant screaming......those 60's teenage girls had some vocal stamina and power!

I bought the album on iTunes and it didn't come with any liner notes or iTunes LP (bit unusual for the Fabs). Could someone kindly point out which tracks come from which year?

The recording has a good presence especially around the rhythm section. Ringo seems to be having a blast during these shows! For some tracks, the vocal seemed bit low in the mix (perhaps some technical issues with the mic?) and that's one of my minor quibbles. Also, the guitar intro to Dizzy Miss Lizzy could've been bit louder for more impact.

I went in with low expectations but seems like I'll be playing this Hollywood Bowl record for days/weeks to come. Its actually still playing in the background - John doing a great version of A Hard Day's Night!

coffeetime, supermd and Clanceman like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:sigh: This is why I keep saying that you cannot, I repeat cannot rely on those DR values. They are misleading. Here is a screenshot of "She's A Woman". Now, if someone with only a half-understanding of DR values goes by what you wrote, they would think the CD is brickwalled. This screenshot is proof that it isn't.

[​IMG]

19. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

LOL! A value of DR10 is hardly brickwalled. :laugh::laughup::laughup::laughup:

20. Grant

The only people who care about this are people like us. There are a lot of people out there who don't even know who the Beatles are, or care.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

But there's no difference. It's the same CD no matter where you buy it.

22. Grant

I know. But, there are people who would think that. And, even if they did apply a bit of limiting, like they did with the 9-9-09 stereo remasters, it wouldn't be an issue, particularly for such a low-fi recording.

coffeetime and Tommyboy like this.
  23. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

A ballad? How do you think a ballad would be heard over that screaming? It's not as if it ever stops.

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I hope you realize I was joking!

Simon A and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  25. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I think George switched out the Gretsch for a Rickenbacker 12 for You Cant Do That.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.