Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

But yet they did If I Fell in 64 and Yesterday in 66.

2. Kim Olesen

George used the 12 string Rickenbacker for a large part of the 64 show. Even on Long Tall Sally.

3. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

And he didn't actually switch guitars before "You Can't Do That" in 1964, as jricc states. He wouldn't have had time as they went immediately into it after "Twist and Shout," on which George also used the 12-string Rick.

4. Kim Olesen

It's very noticable on the 64 twist and shout. The 12 string gives it a different vibe.

DmitriKaramazov and brianvargo like this.
  5. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I know she isn't... :D

Grant and Glenn Christense like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm simply opining on the continuous onslaught, which was a bit aurally fatiguing despite the great playing. One could make the case that nothing was really heard above the screaming, ballad or rocker. It's a minor miracle they were able to get something usable from those tapes.

budwhite and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, we have to accept the fact that time marches on.
    When the Beatles anthology videos were being released they got great promo, commercials, A-Beatle-C running the anthology over multiple nights ...but.... The Beatles had already been history for 25 years at that point, and now we are 21 years beyond the anthology!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Grant and Simon A like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I heard some a radio advertisement for this release, earlier today. It was on an AM talk radio station. It was pretty cool...

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yes

10. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

So I downloaded this release and heard it today. I was pleasantly surprised- the performances are really sharp, and you can clearly hear everything is spite of the nonstop shrieking.

(I've never heard the original 70s LP.)

11. 905

905 Senior Member

I picked this up at Walmart this morning. What a stunning album, and it's a much more enjoyable listen than the cassette I had years ago.

ShowsOn and Christopher B like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

And I could hear "Yesterday" just fine in 1966.

Like other things connected with legendary figures, things get accepted as gospel over time, true or not:

"You could never actually hear the Beatles at a U.S. concert"

False. I could hear them well in 1966.
    I'm sure there were many variables though that affected hearing them : What venue, what sound system in the venue , where a person was sitting, etc ?
    Not everyone had the same experience .

budwhite, Simon A, supermd and 3 others like this.
  13. Yeah I assumed he is referring to a spotlight that was blinding him.

RayS likes this.
  14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

If you don't mind, I would love to hear about your experience at the show you saw. I think that's awesome!

15. Kim Olesen

They did seem to have larger sound systems on the 66 tour judging from pictures. Large sound systems were in it's infancy but on the 66 tour they were generally larger than on previous tours.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Heh. I bought this from the back of a magazine in the 60's. Are you sure yours wasn't 8mm ? Mine was anyway.
    Glorious black and white... and silent!

Now , when anything and everything they did is available it seems silly to have silent Beatles footage but pre VCR's it was cool to have any Beatles footage I could watch at any time . A primitive era. :D

17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Gave it (and the entire album) another listen this evening. It's all John:

"Who's that man on the light? Go away with that light, will ya? Oh, thank you."

Glenn Christense likes this.
  18. RayS

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out.

Simon A and Glenn Christense like this.
  19. RayS

They needed to insert a cowboy song into the set. :)

budwhite, JBOO, Archtop and 1 other person like this.
  20. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

It's actually worth listening to now. I could never get through the original album as it was just screaming, screaming and more screaming!

ShowsOn and Darrin L. like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

They almost did in 65 didn't they. At least they inserted a C&W song. Umfortunately quickly pulled again and replaced with I Wanna Be Your Man.

22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I agree. Bought the album back in the day, just to have, and tried listening to it only once, because I had the same experience as you. I'm actually listening to it on a boom box right now, and it's a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

goodiesguy likes this.
  23. RayS

True. Was there ever an explanation provided for this swap? Was Ringo's inability to hear the backing vocals of "IWBYM" considered a lesser evil over Ringo not being able to hear Paul's prominent harmony vocal (and vice versa) in "Act Naturally"? How awesome would "Yellow Submarine" have been in '66, and who would have cared how raggedly it was performed?

Kim Olesen likes this.
  24. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

I listened to this today for the first time, and I loved it! Great singing, tight playing, and Paul and Ringo were a terrific rhythm section. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the richness of McCartney's bass. I realize there may have been some audio tweaking, but I like much more than I feared I would. This is a required purchase for Beatles fans.

Simon A and ShowsOn like this.
  25. olsen

olsen Senior Member

I worked for the guy who ran those ads on the backs of magazines! A little bootleg operation. I'd edit the original footage before it got reduced to 8mm. Sometimes I filled mail orders and sent them out too.

The original Bowl footage came from the guy's friend who nabbed a 16mm dupe from the channel 7 (ABC) crew. We used to screen it and try to figure out what The Beatles were singing

Simon A, Yorick, goodiesguy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.