Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@mjsokes had some great play-like-Lennon videos posted on Youtube several years back that garnered a rightfully enthusiastic following here, and PaulKTF quoted an mjsokes line in a post in another thread in 2009:
    At least where certain songs are concerned, I think that's the key ingredient!

2. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Boy they are tight! The energy! They kick it! Monumental release. Punk n Roll!!!

dlokazip, jumpinjulian and ShowsOn like this.
  3. winston32

winston32 Forum Resident

Thanks. I used to think it was "Oh we're alright live, aren't we?". They certainly were :)

RayS likes this.
  4. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Just had a listen to flac ripped from CD, with JRiver 19 to E-MU0404 with headphones (Yamaha Pro HD400).

Initial impressions actually disappointing. I qualify that by acknowledging that I haven't listened to the vinyl (which I bought upon release in 1977) in a long, long time. It needs a good clean before I can again.

They've done a decent job cleaning it up, they really got clarity on the drums.

The crowd didn't immediately strike me as been lower in the mix than the original and even if they are, perhaps the crowd should have been mixed down lower considering they managed to seperate the crowd noise.

The most disappointing thing is the Bass, it sounds, IMO, horrible. Its not about its prominence in the mix, its the sound! It doesn't sound like McCartney's bass guitar or indeed a bass guitar in general, just some digital mush. Unfortunately the bass is central to The Beatles sound.

This reminded me that I wasn't particularly impressed with the sound of the bottom end, particularly bass guitar on the +1 remixes.

I will eventually get around to cleaning and needle dropping my original vinyl to Hi Res (24/192), I will be curious to hear how the two match up.

bluesbro and JamesLord like this.
  5. Yes, this is a proto punk album.

Rocco likes this.
  6. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

You're right their trousers were tight. You could see quite clearly... Nothing left to the imagination. No wonder the girls were screaming their lungs out!

vudicus likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I hope that this is correct:

1. "Twist and Shout" 30 August 1965 1:33
    2. "She's a Woman" 30 August 1965 2:53
    3. "Dizzy, Miss Lizzy" 29/30 August 1965 3:39 [Edited from the 29th and 30th of August 1965 ; originally edited by George Martin for the 1977 LP]
    4. "Ticket to Ride" 29 August 1965 2:51
    5. "Can't Buy Me Love" 30 August 1965 2:14
    6. "Things We Said Today" 23 August 1964 2:18
    7. "Roll Over Beethoven" 23 August 1964 2:28
    8. "Boys" 23 August 1964 2:08
    9. "A Hard Day's Night" 30 August 1965 3:13
    10. "Help!" 29 August 1965 2:46 [Some people have indicated that this may be edited with verse 1 from the 3oth of August 1965]
    11. "All My Loving" 23 August 1964 2:15
    12. "She Loves You" 23 August 1964 2:31
    13. "Long Tall Sally" 23 August 1964 2:53
    Bonus tracks
    14. "You Can't Do That" 23 August 1964 2:34
    15. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" 23 August 1964 2:29
    16. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" 30 August 1965 2:21
    17. "Baby's in Black" 30 August 1965 2:44

8. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

9. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

These various comments about the bass.....isn't that the way it would have sounded if one were to be in the audience ? Doesn't bother me that much, sounds like live bass. Mushy, but so live early 60s.

Besides, I pulled out my 1977 original, put on the first four tracks and the bass sounded just about the same.

Incidentally, the intro of 'She's a Woman" sounds like the genesis of 'I Am The Walrus'.

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Yeah......."Yellow Submarine" would have been a great "sing along"...er.... "scream along" song in 66'!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    RayS likes this.
  12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I'd love know the rationale behind allowing Love and Anthology for streaming but not YSS, US Albums, LIBN and BBC. Not that I'm worried personally: I already own them. Add to this the availability of the mono studio catalogue that forms part of US Albums but not the UK Beatles in Mono set.

1963 Bootleg aside, this looks to be the first Beatles album on iTunes that hasn't come with a PDF or iTunes LP liner notes. As such I've bought the CD for the liner notes and am streaming the album itself on Apple Music. I've bought plenty of Beatles on iTunes including YSS, both BBC albums and the US Albums set - the included iTunes LP liner notes were absolutely instrumental in my opting for iTunes downloads over CD and other digital download retailers. Good grief, even the Tomorrow Never Knows compilation got iTunes liner notes.

Hopefully the lack of liner notes for Hollywood Bowl doesn't herald the future for the Beatles on iTunes.

13. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

I never heard the original but must admit I really don't like the sound of this at all. Bass too loud with no definition and mixed to one side (who does that?). Sounds awful on headphones.

Performance is kicking, but I suspect I shan't listen to this again. Most disappointed :-(

14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I see you're in sensible mode this morning.:)

bobcat likes this.
  15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

But I wanted a Target pressing!
    :laughup:
    I doubt the Best Buy in my town even had a copy, their physical media section is almost non-existent. I couldn't even find a copy at Barnes & Noble.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Just about anuone who recorded and mixed in the 60's did that. This was only recorded on three tracks. Drums and bass. Vocals. Guitars.

17. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

This is a HUGE improvement over the 1977 vinyl and subsequent BOOTS over the years. I have them all and this is probably the BEST you are going to hear
    the Beatles LIVE IN CONCERT. The screams of the crowd have been diminished to a level that you can still hear the excitement but it is not over the top as in the 77 vinyl. Great
    job done by Giles Martin in the remastering. The cover is not as good as the 77 vinyl but hey who the hell cares.

coffeetime and ShowsOn like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yep, given the choices, vocal in the center makes the most sense, and if you are going to mix to stereo that means each of the instrumental tracks gets panned toward one side or other.

ShowsOn and Kim Olesen like this.
  19. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Good thing Barry Manilow wasn't in the Beatles:tiphat:

20. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

I agree, decided i had to get it so found a copy at barnes and nobel, (was around 15, when the original was released in 77). But remember it well, it was fun to listen to it again as I can't remember the last time i heard it. Thought it sounded pretty good, and was a fun listen!

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Give me time...

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

He actually would have fitted better in Wings. Imagine a live medley of Copacabana and Goodnight Tonight. Pure bliss!

coffeetime and BeatlesBop like this.
  23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yep. I don't get the complaint. Sounds to me like Paul McCartney is standing to my left just like I see him in the photos. As for the bass, sounds like I would expect it to, coming from those crummy PAs and therefore authentic.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  24. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Agreed about the improvement. Really nice job. However, take note...and this surprised me...on the last page of the booklet, Giles Martin is credited only as producer. Sam Onell did the mixing and Alex Wharton did the mastering. Martin approved, I guess. So in that sense I suppose one can say that he remastered it. He wasn't "hands on" in the process, apparently.

25. 905

905 Senior Member

I saw two, and they were in the B section and not the new release end cap.

Christopher B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.