Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Two complete listens in and I'm quite happy. I'm also a bit surprised to find out that I may be the world's biggest fan of the original album (I guess you had to be just the right age when it showed up). I was concerned that the demixing process would produce an annoying artifact that could be "felt" if not explicitly heard, but I have yet to get that feeling. I think Giles needs to get to work on demixing the German gangsters out of the Star Club tapes,

crossroads69 and Rocco like this.
  2. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

listening to all my loving, a bit of a guitar player myself, ok, not great, but, I have never heard a rhythm line like John lays down in this song, totally original to my ears...

lobo likes this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Re the bass sound. Pauls bass amp was not designed for good sound. It was designed for being the loudest possible. Most gigs on the 64 and 65 tour did not have the bass and guitars over the PA. They had the amps and that was that. The only way for the audience to her the amps was for them to be turned to the max. And with the amp technology of 65 loud meant compromising the sound. So what we hear is how Pauls amp sounded. Huge and boomy. That was the best a loud amp could do back then. And then add to the equation that he used a Hoffner with flatwound strings. There goes the last chance of anything not boomy.

Robber Soul, Yosi, supermd and 6 others like this.
  4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Hear, hear. Exactly !

Smartin62 and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

funny that :laughup:

Archtop likes this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:laugh:Huge and boomy was the first thing I thought when I listened to it and it really didn't bother me considering the recording.

ShowsOn and Kim Olesen like this.
  7. The improved sound makes the John and George guitar dynamic easier to hear.

Though their 'jams' are brief, dare I say their "guitar weave" rivals any in their day and contains a propulsiveness unparalleled in 1964.

• [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Think how great it would have been, had they been able to hear themselves. I think it is a testament to what truly great performers they really were. How many groups could have pulled this off, with the archaicsound system, and the incessant jet engine screaming???

ShowsOn, SixtiesGuy, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

All 3 shows were recorded onto 3 track tape under conditions that weren't the most optimal. There's only so much that can be done with these recordings, even with today's technology.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It's a good idea to lower expectations when listening to this CD. The original album was far from audiophile quality. Taking this into consideration, Giles Martin did a nice job.

11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I agree...I know there are a fair amount of Giles haters on here, but I know one thing...I can listen to it now and enjoy it, but not so much before.

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The intermittent tears running down my face listening to this -probably the first CD I've played in two years - prove that Giles did a good job and let me hear The Beatles.

Tingman, ShowsOn, Drewzel and 3 others like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

May I offer you a tissue then?:

[​IMG]

14. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

The new album sounds so good, I've retired my Minidisc of the original LP, and recorded over it with the new CD.
    I'm keeping the original artwork, but I still need to revise it to update the track listing ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Not a Giles hater at all. I like Love and the +1 remixes a lot - but on earphones (Sennheiser IE800) it sounds really lopsided and far too subby - to me at least. Will give it a try on the speakers when the wife is out and it may fare better....

16. Opusjeff

Opusjeff Forum Resident

I have that mini-LP also. Nice set!
    You do realize that it's a Russian fake, or "fantasy release" right?
    All of those mini-LP CDs with OBIs, such as A Collection Of Oldies, the German Hits compilations, Reel Music, Rock "N" Roll Music, Love Songs, The Singles Collection, The EP collections, etc., are all fakes.

Darrin L. likes this.
  17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wow...that's cool!! I still have a Minidisc recorder packed away somewhere.
    What year was that released!
    Was it an official release?

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No you may not! Mocker.

19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't complain about the mix or the mastering, but I do complain about the incompleteness.

If three concerts were recorded, Apple should let us hear the three concerts.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Okay...that aswered my quetion. I suspected it was a fake, but still cool.

21. Kim Olesen

Of course Apple can not release performances with a vocal mic not on or train wrecks like I'm Down.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Can't possibly be official when there was never even a CD....and wasn't Minidisc Sony's baby?

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yea...I doubt it would be headphone freindly. It just needs to be blasted on your speakers.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Anyone know who is cheapest between Best Buy, target and Wally World? I may stop and try to get one if these today

25. Kim Olesen

I don't get people who expect all 3 Hollywood Bowl performances to be released in full. The Beatles are the artists and are allowed the pride/vanity of not releasing performances that they deem unworthy, whatever the reason. If you were in a band you would NOT let sub par performances go out on an official release. I know i don't allow such things to happen for my band even though i sit on archive material our fans would very much like to hear. It is NOT happening while i am alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.