Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Because the performances are of historical interest now. If they were a current band currently recording and touring it would be different.

Oh yes they can.

EddieMann likes this.
  2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

No, that's just the original LP recorded to a blank Minidtsc with my customized labels and artwork.

3. Greyrat

Greyrat Forum Resident

I love Lennon's driving rhythm on their early (especially live (especially Sweden 10/1963)) tracks. The studio releases often times tamed it down in the mix or replaced Lennon's driving rhythm with piano (to paraphrase Paul about long and winding road - more Beatles instrumentation in the mix pls. - less George Martin piano). The live at the BBC versions of Misery, Chains, I'll Get You, and many others swing a lot harder with Lennon chug-chug-achuggin on the rhythm guitar. I could see a producer hearing that aggressive style and saying to himself "WTH is this?" but I love it and feel it was a key element in their sound.

And your right not to many songs have a driving rhythm triplet throughout the whole song like All my loving. Great stuff. I play a bit myself and never make it thru the whole song stomping out those triplets without screwing up.

4. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

But why would they release recordings with missing vocals?
    Many artists record several concerts and then cherry pick the best takes for a live album.

5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I believe both Target and WalMart are charging $11.99 -- or were Friday and Saturday anyway

6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Cost of living must be higher in Iowa...it was only $11.88 down here (Walmart) on Friday ! :righton:

I doubt the price differences would be enough to go to any bigbox that was even a block out of the way. I probably could've saved on sales tax ordering online..but I realized I could get it in person which is what I prefer if available and close. I'd rather have been seen in Target though...:cool:

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wow...impressive job on the artwork.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

In a better world, the great live Beatles album would have been a box set collecting a handful of their Cavern shows (post-Hamburg), but they never bothered to record any due to the acoustics. Reportedly it would have sounded terrible, but God knows if they should have tried, because quite frankly, I never thought Hollywood Bowl shows were really difficult to hear over the screaming, especially compared to so many live rock recordings in the decades since.

With that in mind, I'm digging the new reissue - you can hear some funky stuff going on once in a while from whatever they're doing to the crowd noise, but regardless, it's an interesting presentation. The Beatles are still human, so even though it's commendable that they could play over that noise, once in a while you'll hear an off harmony or something along those lines that betrays how tough it was for them to perform in this environment. But that's part of the appeal of this set -it's history, how else are you going to capture Beatlemania at its screaming height?

9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

So the attachment and pride an artist has to their material becomes invalid once they become a big act?

Very inhuman line of thinking i think. I fully understand Harrisons disdain for being known when the price was dehumanisation and entitlement from the fans.

funkydude and Simon A like this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

For those who were asking about sales, I note from the Amazon UK listing that not only is it classed as a 'best-seller' but anyone ordering today may expect a 2-4 week delay.

11. Richard--W

I don't get where you're coming from.

There is nothing dehumanizing about The Beatles' music. Quite the opposite.

When you put on The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl you know instantly you are listening to maestros. This band can play. But it's more than that. The humanity of their music precedes them whether it's perfectly recorded or not.

ShowsOn, therockman and Rocco like this.
  12. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

What a great positive album to release around the time of a sad day or remembrance. Funny, how the Beatles have always put a little love and hope in many hearts. Christmas wouldn't be the same without them, for example.

Sorry, know that is a little maudlin and perhaps over the top but how could those guys do what they did without loving each other? A good example for all of us and all the Blue Meanies out there.

jricc, supermd, Drewzel and 5 others like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

I am taking the artists "rights of diciding what they like to be out there" point of view. If you don't agree with that right then we just do not see eye to eye.

Simon A likes this.
  14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Oh look...even Jeremy had some love for the Blue Meanies !

[​IMG]

Sammy Banderas and Rocco like this.
  15. Richard--W

I love how they open the show with their signature harmony on Twist and Shout. Each voice chiming in tells us this is the Beatles.

They could really play. What a magnificent rock and roll band.

jricc, ShowsOn, mark renard and 2 others like this.
  16. Kim Olesen

This we agree on :)

Simon A likes this.
  17. Richard--W

I'm forgetting, but what was the name of that "progressive" band that opened for the Beatles at some shows?

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

On headphones it is quite unpleasant. Who wants to hear 20,000 girls screaming right into your ear? Not me.

Blasted out of speakers with a subwoofer, it sounds and feels like a concert - and likely much better than it sounded there, to folks whose ears were closer to the screaming girls and further from the instruments than the mics on stage were.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sounds, Inc. ?

20. Richard--W

I'm glad you expressed these sentiments that many of us are thinking. This release is a positive and hopeful thing, and the music is a cheerful reminder that rock and roll can lighten one's load.

It's so good I want more of it.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  21. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Just finished listening finally, and I loved, loved, loved it.

One thing I oddly found myself missing afterwards was one of those little documentaries that were included on the 2009 CDs. Most of the re-issues that have come out since have been compilations of one sort or another (excluding the BBC sets) so it's been no big deal, but with this one being a bit unique, I couldn't help but think it would be neat to watch one afterwards.

Of course, I guess we have a whole movie coming up to serve that purpose. :)

Mark

ShowsOn and Simon A like this.
  22. In interviews Giles mentioned that he worked with a team of achieve the sound on the new version. My only issue is the sequencing of the bonus tracks. I would have closed it its I Want To Hold Your Hand and opened the bonus tracks with Baby's in Black.

Smartin62 and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Does anybody know exactly where the edit points are in the song?

I noticed on the new reissue that the bass drum is quite prominent at the beginning of the song and then by the end of it it is barely audible. Maybe they miked up the bass drum louder for the 2nd night?

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Here is a photo of the sound-engineering "team":

[​IMG]

;)

applebonkerz likes this.
  25. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

You know, I was expecting to hate this album because: (1) I hate live albums, and (2) er, I hate live albums. I only bought it out of some ridiculous instinct I can't seem to control whereby I feel the need to "support the band." That same instinct forced me into paying $100 for the new limited edition All You Need is Love book (by Paul Skellett and Simon Weitzman) and then today forced me to order Mark Lewisohn's new book on The Beatles A Hard Day's Night: A Private Archive for fricking $92 on Amazon. :help::help::help:I obviously need my head examined ... (I rationalized the Lewisohn purchase by convincing myself that I was helping to support him so he can finish writing the next volume of his Beatles history.)

But back to the album. I was just listening to the CD in the car as I run errands and it's just so damn thrilling. I'm grinning like a loon every time the girls scream. It's both funny and somehow cathartic. They sound so good and raw -- in circumstances that must have just felt surreal. I'm really not sure how often I'll listen to this, but the $12 I spent on this CD is probably the smartest of my last 3 Beatles CD purchases (tho that All You Need is Love book is truly fine).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.