Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. LOL.

Or try this:

Tomorrow Never Knows>Yesterday >Good Morning, Good Morning>Tomorrow Never Knows>Good Day Sunshine>Day Tripper>A Day in the the Life>Tomorrow Never Knows

Archtop and dtuck90 like this.
  2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The mixing placement seems quite faithful to the original album release (bass & drums left, guitars right, vocals centered).

I'm not super crazy about some of the mixing decisions on this new reissue. The guitar intro to Dizzy Miss Lizzie is not loud enough. It seems like the drums and bass were boosted at the expense of the guitars here. That is unfortunate, as DML is possibly the best track from the 1965 show.

I am very glad they included You Can't Do That, despite the problem with the backing vocal microphone; in fact, I wish that there were no backing vocals at all during the guitar solo so we could hear it better.

In a perfect world, they would have included I Want To Hold Your Hand on the original album. If there wasn't room, Twist & Shout should have been taken off.

Raving Russell, jricc and EricSwan like this.
  3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Turn the amps up to 11. Problem solved.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I like the sound well enough but there is no good reason we should not have gotten the full 1964 show and a full 1965 show compiled from the two concerts . Would it have been that hard to mix 7 more songs?

And while I think the cover is better than the 1977 album, it's really nothing more than an advertisement for the film. Pretty cheesy.

I do love the flow of the original album so this will get played often, but I consider this a missed opportunity.

bluesbro and BeatlesBop like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They're out there to find.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You may be the first to admit you like the cover!

7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

All Bootlegged,BTW,with compromising sound,from Good to Simply Awful!

8. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Yeah, now you mention it!

Simon A likes this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I haven't read the thread but in fairness to me, I didn't say I liked the cover, only that I thought it was an improvement over the 1977 cover.

My ideal cover would look something like this:

[​IMG]

10. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Out of curiosity I listened to the cd in my record shop with to me unknown Sennheiser headphones and I was underwhelmed by the soundquality. My old needle drop sounds better. The bass is a boomy mess, the guitars are even mixed lower than on the original LP and the voices seem processed. Is that the effect of spectral demixing? And, if you're gonna remix this thing, why put drums and bass on one side and guitars on the other? To conserve the original spirit? Than just don't remix it. Whatever, I'm disappointed, since I really like the album and was looking forward to have a good sounding version on cd.

GetRhythm and EricSwan like this.
  11. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

While I'm happy to have CD-Rs of the complete Hollywood Bowl shows in all the various mixes, I'm also happy that Apple didn't include the ragged performances of "I'm Down," "I Feel Fine," "I Wanna Be Your Man," etc. on this official release. There's no way the addition of those tracks wouldn't detract from the overall quality of this new release.

Sometimes less is more. I'd rather have the best quality album than the most complete album.

Squealy, helter, Kim Olesen and 2 others like this.
  12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Cripes, folks on this forum sometimes. So many back seat drivers and Monday morning quarterbacks.

Anyway, I love this release.

tages, Tingman, brettb33 and 6 others like this.
  13. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

What's better about it? Better tape source?

14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I agree with the sentiment on "She's A Woman". I think it's the best performance. I last heard this on Yellow Dog boot in the 90s and there was a channel dropout in the song at about the 60 second point which messed it up. I'm glad that is gone here. I've heard a lot of Beatles live performances since then so I have a basis of comparison, and this might be their best concert since the Wash. Coliseum concert in '64, and the microphones were all working here, I believe, unlike DC. I think they were excited about LA and the Hollywood Bowl, had a lot of peers there and they really gave it an extra effort.

15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I wanted to read thru the entire thread before I commented, but I read a comment that I can't wait to respond to!

Don't you dare lower your expectations when you listen to this absolutely fantastic live album!

Especially after hearing it!

See I give people the benefit of the doubt that they aren't going to have ridiculous expectations in the first place!

I think the vast majority of us are delighted that this sounds as good as it does! As I posted earlier, this is way way better than I was expecting myself, but my expectations didn't have to be lowered, they were realistic in the first place!

After hearing this hard rockin totally exciting live album, I would say raise your expectations, because this is better than you think!

As for the sound of the bass, yes part of it is the conditions at the time, but the real problem is the bass itself!

The Hofner just doesn't have a good sound! It's just sounds muffled all the time, I really wish McCartney would retire it! But I love the fact that you can hear it booming along!

I can't help it, I am still very excited about this release!

I'm totally stoked that we actually have the absolute greatest rock group in history, performing live some of the absolute greatest songs in history, and they are taking no prisoners! They aren't just some pop group, they are a hard as nails, tried and true, get down and dirty, nitty gritty hard rockin band!

I just finished listening again, and it sounds better than it did the first time! I keep hearing more and more things to appreciate!

To each his own, but this is an epic release!

I have to say it again, this should be a #1 album!

Dee Zee, helter, winston32 and 2 others like this.
  16. Jose Jones

But it sounds exactly like Twist and Shout at Shea Stadium :)

17. Jose Jones

Their live sound is very authentic; they were using the exact same instruments and amps that they were using in the studio those years.

supermd and Smartin62 like this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Are your exclamation points meant to mirror the thud of the bass and drums ?

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've gotta admit this new CD sounds leagues ahead of the 1977 LP, which I know like the back of my hand 'cause I played it so much when it first came out in 1977. (I also played the hell outta my original German Bellaphon Records LIVE AT THE STAR CLUB release, which I bought the same day as the original LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL album.) Anyway, Giles and "the team" have done a better-than-expected job here. Rather than playing this disc only once, which I thought would be the case with me, I expect I'll play this more often. You can hear the music and, especially, the vocals so much better than before. Nicely done!

Simon A likes this.
  20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" switches from the 30-Aug-1965 to the 29-Aug-1965 performance at the beginning of the guitar solo.

21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, very lazy IMO to not include at least the PdF of liner notes on this release. They are definitely important to me as a music buyer on iTunes. Hope this is momentary slip up and will be fixed. I'll drop a note to iTunes/Apple customer service and let them know...

rstamberg and coffeetime like this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

None of them sound better than the new release. No matter how many tines either of you state it.

23. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks @Arnold Grove - Very '65 heavy to start with but balances itself out by end of the bonus tracks.

In one of the interviews, Giles mentioned that they remixed every track at the start of this project (all three shows) before pruning it down to the final 17. So maybe, just maybe, after seeing the positive response to this release and reading reviews, Apple could be convinced to release "Complete Hollywood Bowl Shows" compilation on iTunes to present at least the complete 1964 & 1965 set lists to fans. Just some wishful thinking....

supermd and SixOClockBoos like this.
  24. Opusjeff

Opusjeff Forum Resident

Nice! I also made a bunch of custom MDs with artwork (after years of custom cassettes!)

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Culabula, my use of exclamations points is because it's the absolute most accurate punctuation that expresses my passion and sentiment!

I have to use them now because my passion for this album is, well I haven't been this excited about a new release since McCartney's New!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.